SO, What happened to : "the generation will not pass away" idea ???????

by The_Replacement 59 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The_Replacement
    The_Replacement

Okay, growing up a JW in the 70's 80's and early 90's, all we heard about was how the generation of 1914 will not pass away,(much like Witnesses in the 60's and early 70's all heard about 1975) (What a great parallel) Conventions, Watchtower Articles, Public Talks, endless studies and of course every issue of the Awake magazine had it on the inside cover, it was everywhere, brothers, sisters and elders were absolutely sure about this, the society constantly mentioned it in our Kingdom Ministry (service), It was everywhere. then with the change in November 1995, it just kinda disappeared and became unimportant.

Does the Society even mention "this generation will not pass away" anymore ?????

Seems to me, that the past 10 years, it has hardly been mentioned anywhere anymore.

What do you think ???

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It was a false prohecy.

The loved and practiced this falsehood, but as it all became more evident they naturally covered it up for the sake of image.

Now, in proven fashion they

• don't talk about it
    • downplay it greatly
    • pretend it never happened
    • initiate concealment from prospective converts
    • dutifully perform the necessary mental gymnastics of cognitive dissonance

I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and know that no lie is of the truth.

• aniron
    aniron

It was dropped in 1995.

I remember because I had a review of the Convention, where the change was slipped in, with an Elder to do at service meeeting.

The Elder came to my house night before to go through the item.

He kept asking me if it was right what we heard.

He was really put out by it.

He was in his early 40's brought up a JW.

I always got the impression that afterwards he just wasn't same.

When we did the review I was the one who had to point this out to the congregation.

It was the only time a had heard an audible gasp from some in the congregation.

Of course it was in the November, Watchtower later that year.

Always said that was the time our congregation changed.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

But it wasn't announced at the Convention. It was first mentioned in the November 1st Watchtower 1995...

• aniron
    aniron

Yes it was because as I said I had the review of the Convention the following week.

It was contained in a keynote talk given by a brother from London Bethel.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

As A Paduan says, it seems to get ignored.

I remember mentioning to the Witnesses I was studying with about the statement which always appeared in the front of the mags about everything happening 'before the generation that saw 1914 passes away' and how it had changed. They stood there and denied ANY knowledge whatsoever about it!

I can understand one of them not knowing as they had converted after 1995, but the other was 'born in' and would definitely know what I was talking about.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Are you sure that wasn't the 1996 convention?

This has been discussed before on the forum a number of times.

Possibly is was revealed at your convention and not elsewhere, but I think the general consensus is that it didn't come out before the Watchtower study article.

Slim

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The "sheep and the goats" change was announced at the 1995 convention though...

Slim

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    They stood there and denied ANY knowledge whatsoever about it!

It was used for 'generations' [] as a major draw card.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

It passed away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit