WHAT MAKES EX-JW'S UNIQUE TO CREATE A DISCUSSION FORUM LIKE THIS?

by hopie 27 Replies latest jw friends

• hopie
    hopie

THERE ARE MILLIONS WORLD WIDE LEAVING THEIR CENTURIES OLD ORGANIZED RELIGIONS, WHY ARE EX-JW'S JOINING TOGETHER TO CREATE A FELLOWSHIP AND SUPPORT SYSTEM?

ARE WE THE FORERUNNERS OF SOMETHING BIG?

DO WE SHARE SOMETHING UNIQUE AND DON'T KNOW IT? ARE NOT EX-CATHOLICS HAVING BEIEN VICTIMS OF PREISTS MOLESTATION SUFFERING TOO, AND YET NOT FORMING A WORLD WIDE SUPPORT GROUP SUCH AS OURS? FOR THAT MATTER, WHAT ABOUT ALL THE EX=MORMONS, AND ALL THE OTHER EX-MEMBERS OF CHURCHS?

I THINK WE ARE UNIQUE FOR SOME REASON, WHAT IS YOUR THOUGHTS.

I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR WARM AND LOVING WELCOME, YES WE ALL NEED THAT ARM AROUND OUR SHOULDERS, DON'T WE? BUT IS THERE SOMETHING DIFFERENT ABOUT ALL OF US?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nope, we just have a common interest. I also used to contribute to a Scuba-diving forum.

The wonder of the internet is that if you searrch hard enough you'll find some group or other that shares an interest with you. Alternatively you can start one...

How about an "ALL CAPS" forum, for the visually deaf?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    How about an "ALL CAPS" forum, for the visually deaf?

Ross you are positively evil sometimes lmao!

DB74

• Shazard
    Shazard

Well one forum isn't much possible in i-net... for blind!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

One of the things that made me think when I was still a dub, was that my dad told me that other religions had help and support groups for people who had left.

He in fact was in touch with someone from an ex catholic group, who helped dad through his early ex dub days.

I dont know if those guys have chat rooms too, cos I have never checked, but I do think most groups have a group of ex groupies who they chat to, in order to support them through the early 'leaving the group days'.

Id hate to come out of a religion that thought it was the only one, to become part of an ex group that thought it was the only one!

But I DO think that the people I have met here are VERY SPECIAL. I think that is a combination of being in a religion that encourages at least limited study, then having the courage to leave a very mind controlling group (takes a lot of courage and gumption), and also people that are willing to commit at least some time over a long period to a discussion board ( I have known lots of ex JW;s peronally who have not had the patience to stay here longer than a couple of posts).

All in all, I have a massive amount of respect and awe for the people here, they are very special.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think the ex-mormon group is older and bigger. http://www.exmormon.org/

I'm big on inclusion, and finding how much we have in COMMON with the rest of the human race. Recently I uncovered a nasty people problem at work. The people involved show all the cult-like symptoms of cognitive dissonance. Instead of following a cult, however, they have fallen in to the trap of people-worship. I tell you, it kind of scared me to recognize the signs, and realize how much work it would take to repair.

So I'd prefer not to think of our group as UNIQUE or SPECIAL. Even though I think this discussion board is really neat. I think we bond because we've stumbled upon a human frailty that it COMMON to all of us.

• Warlock
    Warlock

We all have the same "trauma in common".

Warlock

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

CAN I JOIN ThE aLL CaPS FORum??

PLeASe??

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Nice of you to say so, (((jgnat))). But c'mon...we're freaks. If in no other respect than how ex-Jehovah's Witnesses view ourselves relative to the rest of humanity. We feel separated, we feel disconnected. We don't feel superior, but rather, inferior, in some very fundamental and important ways.

We feel like fish who used to live in a fishbowl where the owner never cleaned the bowl. Now we've been thrown out, flopping around and gasping for air on the beach or a wooden dock. Here, in this forum, we see that we aren't alone, there are other fish floppng around, too. From the same school of fish, no less. We sort of grew up together, even though we never met. We see that some have kept flopping around enough to flop right into the water, and they come to the surface here and try their best to help us figure out which way to flop next to make our splashdown more likely.

But we're gasping for air and our brains are getting foggy from the lack, and we still try to make it to the water. It doesn't matter that there are dangers in the water. It doesn't matter that our lives won't be the same as when we were in the fishbowl. At least if we can make it to the water we can breathe again.

So, there is nothing for it but to keep flopping. And hoping. And helping each other make it into the water.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

See, now that's what happens when ya don't evolve wings. Wanna RedBull?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit