Spread the good....chickenpox!?

by Gill 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

My mum was just telling me today how 'good' my cousin is as she got to the assembly with her four kids, even though one of them is poorly with chicken pox!

Wouldn't you call that just being plain stupid?!

Me, I'm reduced to just smiling politely and remembering when I would have been that stupid!

• LDH
    LDH

well once the pox break out, you are no longer infectious. The incubation period is two weeks prior to pox break out. SO I wouldn't worry about others getting infected.

My concern would be for this poor child's comfort, being forced to sit in a chair all day itching.

• Gill
    Gill

LDH - Aren't JW parents the most loving, christlike and caring parents in the world?!!

• LDH
    LDH

Gill

Can't you just feel the piety on mom's face as all of the other moth-ball heads look on at her as an example of how much we should sacrifice to make it to Jehoober's assembly?

Lisa

Walked to school in the snow 6 miles, uphill both ways Class

• Odrade
    Odrade

Chicken pox is contagious all the way until every last blister has formed a scab. It is MOST contagious in the several days before blisters form, but the patient continues to shed the virus until the blisters dry up into scabs. Ew, yuck, bleh. I've seen alot of moms dragging their blistery kids around based on the fallacy that once they break out, they aren't contagious.

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

How is it spread?
    Chicken pox is very contagious. It is a respiratory disease that is spread by contact with nasal mucus and saliva. it can be spread by coughing and sneezing, kissing on the lips and sharing food, eating utensils and mouthed toys. It is also spread by touching your hands to your nose and mouth, reusing tissues, and forgetting to wash your hands after blowing noses. It spreads most easily in crowded and poorly ventilated rooms. Rarely, it can also be spread from contact with the oozing skin lesions.

When is it contagious?
    Chicken pox is contagious from 2 days before the rash appears until 5 days after the start of the rash. In milder cases, the contagious period may end sooner, around the time that the pox scab over. After exposure to chicken pox, it usually takes 11-14 days (up to 21 days) to develop the illness.

Should the child stay home?
    A child with chicken pox should stay home until 6 days after the start of the skin rash or when all the skin lesions are scabbed over, whichever is earlier.

If the child was still contageous than that is just plain mean and dangerous.

• LDH
    LDH

I stand corrected, I err on the side of the milder cases. I guess since my younger child was vaccinated, I got a little blurry on the details from the older one (now 16) who did get the pox.

What I find odd is that this JW parent did not choose to get their child vaccinated from Chicken Pox. There has been an FDA approved vaccine on the market since 1994.

http://www.fda.gov/FDAC/features/795_chickpox.html

More JW quack medicine.

Lisa

• Odrade
    Odrade

LOL! there are still a bunch of JWs out there who adhere to the 50s WT suspicion/condemnation of vaccinations. Although I tend to agree that children are vaccinated too much and too often, which is hard on their immune systems, I think there is a general lack of commonsense that happens when a religion dictates that meetings are more important than health.(Or staying home so you don't spread disease. HAHA!)

• LDH
    LDH
    LOL! there are still a bunch of JWs out there who adhere to the 50s WT suspicion/condemnation of vaccinations.

And those people had children, many of whom believe the same thing when it comes to the health of THEIR offspring.

Although I tend to agree that children are vaccinated too much and too often, which is hard on their immune systems,

On this I disagree. Children who are not vaccinated pose a risk to the rest of the world, specifically with crippling diseases like Polio. They put MY children at risk. I can not think of one thing my child got vaccinated against that I would accept that the 'illness' was better than the vaccine.

When I said this at my sister's wedding, my mother (active JW) vehemently disagreed with me and said it was 'worldly teachings.' Lucky for me, my sister's husband twin (both twins are PhDs --however her specialty is in communicable diseases with a credential towards vaccinations, LOL!!!) flat out told my mother she was wrong.

She began citing FACT (not religious rhetoric) that proved I was right. My mother was most disconcerted and made faces of disgust that my 'worldy' knowledge was correct.

JWs have quack ideas for medicines, and the attitudes toward vaccinations have not changed all that much.

Lisa

• nelly136
    nelly136

lets hope they werent sharing their sacrifice to be there with any pregnant ladies nearby.

Risk to the baby:If you catch chickenpox in the first 13 weeks of pregnancy there is a very small chance (about 1%) that the baby will catch it and develop congenital varicella syndrome. This can cause eye problems, underdeveloped limbs and brain damage.

If you catch chickenpox in weeks 13-20 of pregnancy there is a very small chance (about 2%) that the baby will catch congenital varicella syndrome (see above).

If you catch chickenpox after 20 weeks but before 36 weeks of pregnancy there is no increased risk of passing the infection to the baby. But the baby may get shingles after they are born or in later life.

If you catch chickenpox after 36 weeks of pregnancy your baby may get chickenpox in the womb and you might need to have injections of varicella zoster immunoglobulin (VZIG) or antiviral drugs.

If you catch chickenpox up to 5 days before or up to 2 days after your baby is born there is a 20% risk of your baby getting chickenpox and this can be quite serious. Your baby will be given an injection of VZIG. This does not prevent them getting chickenpox but it may reduce the risk of serious complications. If your baby is born with chickenpox he or she may also be given an injection of aciclovir, an antiviral drug that will help them get better quicker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit