TEVYE

by TEVYE 12 Replies latest jw friends

• TEVYE
    TEVYE

Good Afternoon! (here, in France, it is about 6 p.m.)

I am a newcomer on your forum and my English is very bad... so, please, excuse me.

I am Protestant ("Calvinist" would be the right word) and I belong to "Église Réformée de France".

I am looking for informations about Jehovah's Witnesses, because I think we are in the same family.

Have a good evening!

TEVYE

"Je n'espère rien, je ne crains rien: je suis libre!"

(Nikos Kazantzaki)

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Hi

Could you just clarify "in the same family"

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hello,

Many here are ex JWs but we can answer any questions you might have.

Calvanism ad JWs are very much at odds as far as beliefs and doctrine.

JWs.

1. No belief in the deity of christ.
    2. No belief in imortal soul.
    3. Belief in an earthly reward for most of faithful man
    4. Only 144000 go to heaven
    5. No belief in predestination.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

JWs are about as Arminian as they come, with a dash of other heresies thrown in

• TheListener
    TheListener

LT, I thought arminianism was the thought that man can do nothing to achieve salvation but is completely reliant upon God's grace? If so, then the JWs are the furthest from arminianism since all they do is work work work for their salvation.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Welcome TEVYE,

Fellow French here, former JW, former Protestant too (including a few years in the ERF)...

I think you're right about the (extended) "family" issue. JWs are an Adventist sect, so their roots are definitely Protestant.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi TEVYE and welcome.

Although we are, generally speaking, ex jws on here, you can learn much about the watchtower religion by looking through the posts. There also some very informative sites on the Internet to help you.

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

The site for official information about Jehovah's Witnesses is:

www.watchtower.org

• Honesty
    Honesty

JW's hold to much of the same beliefs as Arianism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

It just so happens that Arius got some things right.

But note what the Wiki site you mentioned said:

Those whose religious beliefs have been compared to or falsely labeled as Arianism include:
    • Jehovah's Witnesses, who do have some similar beliefs to Arius, namely, that Jesus had a pre-human existence as the Logos. However, Arius viewed the Holy Spirit as a person, whereas Jehovah's Witnesses do not attribute personality to the spirit. Jehovah's Witnesses also, unlike Arians, deny belief in a disembodied soul after death, eternal punishment of the unrepentantly wicked, and episcopacy: doctrines to which the Arians did not obviously object.

Note: "falsely labeled as Arianism" and "some beliefs similar to Arius."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit