Just returned from the 2006 (Armageddon's here) "Deliverance At Hand" DO

by apocalypse 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• VM44
    VM44

CONVENTION DEMONSTRATION OF PHONOGRAPH WORK AT 1937 COLUMBUS, OHIO CONVENTION.

YOUNG GRANT SUITER IN THE CENTER.

• free2beme
    free2beme

The Witnesses can resolve to do what ever they want on that stage, and in front of the congregation. Yet in the private time at home, in front of that computer connected to the Internet, with no one watching .... well, there is no one policing that resolution then. Basically, those that would, will and those that wouldn't, wont. It is that simple and no resolution, read in any way shape of form, is going to fight that mouse click of "I wonder" when no one is watching.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth
    Did Grant Suiter have a good life proclaiming this nonesense?

Grant Suiter is one I can thank for helping me to realize that Brooklyn headquarters is a most unloving place to be, even for members of the GB. At the urging of some Bethelite friends who seemed to know him well, I went to Suiter with a problem that was causing me distress to no end. I was losing sleep over it for months and felt so trapped by it that I might have run away never to return had I not been married. I had already gone to GB member Carey Barber about the problem, only to find that he himself was somewhat downhearted due to a situation very similar to mine, caused by the arbitrary behaviour of other GB members, one of whom, Karl Klein, was acting like a real jerk in his day-to-day dealings with me. Barber's solution was that we both should "wait on Jehovah" to correct our respective sad state of affairs.

I shouldn't have done it, but in pouring my heart out to Suiter I mentioned that I had gone to Barber, and I casually shared a comment that Barber had made. I was surprised that Suiter was willing to take more than an hour from his busy schedule to hear me out. Little did I realize that as he asked me questions that led me to tell him more and more, he was really zeroing in on anything and everything that Barber had told me. He assured me that he would do what he could to help me in my situation, especially with Klein.

Well, the GB disappeared for the next two days. We didn't see them in the hallways or at mealtimes. The third day I ran into Klein as I was about to open a door from the stairway to the library. He looked at me straight in the eyes and said "You tried to ruin me, didn't you? You wanted to give me a bad name. You tried to get me removed from the Governing Body, didn't you?" I replied, "Brother Klein, maybe you and I should talk about this." As he slammed the door in my face, he yelled "There is absolutely nothing to talk about with you, you ..."

Later, as I was walking by Barber's little office -- very little in comparison with Suiter's spacious area in the Treasurer's Office -- I wished him "Good Morning, Brother Barber." In a voice that sounded like a very tired old man, he asked me to step into his office and said, "Frank, how could you? How could you? Do you realize how much trouble you put me through these past few days? I was cross-examined and put through the mill by every member of the Governing Body due to what you confided to Grant Suiter. These two days have been the worst days of my life." I apologized and almost started to weep. I felt just awful for having gone to anybody at all with my problems. I really felt sorry for Barber, and I regretted how much I had hurt him.

Well, what about Suiter, the man who said he was going to help me? I never heard from him again, except when he presided over the morning text discussions and made comments in the Bethel "family" Watchtower Study. His emphasis was always on the importance of "waiting on Jehovah" to solve any problems we have. In the meantime, my problems grew worse until I took the initiative to get away from Klein by requesting a change of assignment to another department.

I was disappointed in Suiter and began to see him only as a politician like other politicians on the GB, politicians whose only purpose in life seemed to be the maintaining of a pleasing and favourable impression among peers. Convention time was that time of the year that gave each of them an opportunity to put on airs before the R&F and to strut their stuff to show how devoted they are to "God's organization."

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I personally enjoyed the referrence to "entertainment". Could someone out there define "entertainment" for me.

I am Confused.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Satan works overtime on them elders and ministerial servants, don't cha know? And they thought bein' servants would numb their nether regions. Oops.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth
    CONVENTION DEMONSTRATION OF PHONOGRAPH WORK AT 1937 COLUMBUS, OHIO CONVENTION.

How times have changed! Formerly the WT Society took advantage of the most modern means for getting out the JW message. The Society was among the first to utilize person-to-person home contacts, the printing press, movies, sound equipment, the radio, the phonograph, sound cars, cassette tapes, CDs, etc. They haven't hesitated to "get in your face" in their use of these methods.

But what about today, when one of the most useful and successful tools, the internet, is available to spread their message? They're afraid of it!!! They don't want their members to use it or even to turn it on and look at it. Think of how much more they could accomplish if each congregation set up its own website, and especially if each member did so! Instead, they prefer to continue using the outdated and extremely slow door-to-door method, a means that fails to accomplish the desired goal of rapid new membership and that annoyingly interupts today's busy schedules.

They've given up on the radio, television, the phonograph, sound cars and, to a great extent, cassette tapes, but they still haven't caught on to the positive aspects of the internet due to their fear of the growing negative impact it is having upon the organization.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Thanks for the insider look at the GB, fjtoth!

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

Another resolution, mental.

What day was it on anyway?

As a side note England got pumped on penalties tonight by Portugal

BM

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Yes, thanks very much for the inside Bethel story.I suspect Suiter had had that treatment earlier in his career and accepted it as a lesson of how these things are done. What a hellhole.

• aniron
    aniron
    They've given up on the radio, television, the phonograph, sound cars and, to a great extent, cassette tapes, but they still haven't caught on to the positive aspects of the internet due to their fear of the growing negative impact it is having upon the organization.

The trouble is that if they start using the Internet to preach. Its to easy for people to check out what they are saying is right or not.

One thing giving someone a book or mag at the door. They go in may read it but don't do anything about what they read.

On here if a person gets something from the WT it easy to think "I'll just check that out" types in "Jehovahs Witnesses" into Google.

Finds themselves on this forum or looking at Freeminds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit