Is the onus on us to understand God or vice versa?

by Spectrum 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

I really feel at a disadvantage here because I don't really know this God. With my limited brain power I can only understand what I can experience around me with my five senses. That doesn't include the spiritual world as I have no biological/neurological receptors for this.
    Why then should the onus be on me to understand/follow God? It is unfair and makes no sense.
    I think this is a crucial question because it has far reaching implication about how humans perceive the meaning of life, religion and other stuff I can't even think right now.
    I therefore propose that God should verifiably reveal himself to us then the ball will be in our court.
    What good is a god that hides in heaven?

Children that grow up never having met one or either parents always have questions to ask, even having them answered by proxy gives little relief.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

One thought I used to enjoy (and still do, to an extent) in several Bible texts is that a relationship with "God" (whatever that may mean) is more about being known than knowing. Cf. Psalm 139 and Paul in 1 Corinthians 8:2f; 13:12; 2 Corinthians 5:11; 6:9; Galatians 4:9.

• proplog2
    proplog2

If it weren't for the fact that so many people believe in some god we wouldn't even have to discuss such nonsense.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

Well stated Spectrum,

I've been in a state of quandary about this for some time. Chasing down an infinite number of hallways to find an answer has led me to this: While I do believe in God, I believe he is unknowable from an empirical perspective. Things simply do not add up. Some people need to put a face to the unknowable simply to get out of bed each day and appreciate the sunshine. One who tries to limit something that is in essence infinite runs into too many paradoxes and ultimately insanity. The best way for me to look at it is understanding that I have a few years of consciousness afforded to me to work out things like morality, truth, spirituality, justice etc... and what comes after that is in the hands of the one who granted me this gift. I don't portend to create my own reality, and thus I don't portend to create God (ie. creating a bunch of parameters and definitions and labels). God just is.

FBF

• greendawn
    greendawn

Understanding God is a spiritual experience something like telepathy if you like, if someone shows interest then God draws to Him and it's then a fifty fifty approach you do one step towards him and he does one step towards you.

• Gregor
    Gregor

You are asking the right questions. I have traveled this road before you and am satisfied (convinced) with my ultimate conclusion. Many others may never reach the same conclusion because they didn't start their journey with a clean slate as you have.

There is an old movie with Jimmy Stewart called "Harvey". He plays an eccentric alcoholic who has an imaginary friend called Harvey. Harvey is a 7 ft. tall rabbit and Stewart talks to him introduces him to everyone and, of course, they all think he's crazy. But by the end of the movie the presence of Harvey has become so real that many former doubters start to acknowledge 'his' presence and even speak to 'him'. I've always felt it was a allegory for the "God" concept. An illusion so pervasive that after a few hundred years your considered dumb if you don't accept the 7 ft. rabbit, Jesus Christ.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Thanks for those responses.

I think that for those that believe that drawing close to God, draws Him closer to us are actually just affirming their belief in a God so it's like an internal cause and effect that sometimes may or may not have real world effects.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

You have your free will - there's no onus - do what you like to do, what you really like - t eachings written and natural are there so that you aren't led around by the flesh if you don't want to be, or led away by wayward spirit if you don't want to be

What does your soul desire ?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    That doesn't include the spiritual world as I have no biological/neurological receptors for this.

I don't know about biological/neurological receptors, I do feel God's presents most of the time

Why then should the onus be on me to understand/follow God? It is unfair and makes no sense.

I agree and God did reveal Himself to me. He also has revealed Himself to you. I pray that he gives you the faith to believe.

I therefore propose that God should verifiably reveal himself to us then the ball will be in our court.

We agree again, and I believe He did (and does) I don't believe we suffer from a lack of revelation, we simply suffer from a lack of the gift of faith in what has been revealed, some have it and some don't.

What good is a god that hides in heaven?

My God came to earth in the person of Jesus The Christ

I think that for those that believe that drawing close to God, draws Him closer to us...

I believe God draws us to Him. We don't draw God to us. D Dog

• under_believer
    under_believer
    I agree and God did reveal Himself to me. He also has revealed Himself to you.

Ewwww....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit