Mortality

by spawn2u 17 Replies latest jw friends

• spawn2u
    spawn2u

I have two children, one daughter 18 months and a son 7 years old. Since the day my son was born I started fearing death. I love my life and do not want to ever die, that is carry over from brainwashing. So with that in mind I am looking for input on the following:

Note: I know that both of the points below are very " The Day After" (an 80's film about nuclear war), I am not afraid to go in a flash with my family I only fear exit will not be so clean. Further, if there is any group of people who understand my fears, I would expect this to be the place.

1. I hate the thought of watching my children die or suffer and die. I expect there will be some sort of end of things within the next decade, just based on global warming and government stupidity.

2. I hate the thought that my children would be left in a hostile world, without a mother or father to guide them. Worst case senario, both me and my wife are killed and then the children slowly die becuase they do not know how to survive.

I hate that I catastrophise but I think it is ok as long as it is not an obsession.

Please help me sort through these issue or share your fears, either way I hope to gain an edge on my fears.

Thank You.

• nelly136
    nelly136

i think its natural to worry about your kids future,being a parent brings home the 'what if's', the difference is now you're looking at it in a more realistic way than when the magic wand was going to fix everything.

theres somethings we cant control, so maybe prepare for the practical everyday stuff that you can, like sorting out a will or insurance for the remaining partner should anything happen to one of you, who'd have kids in event of accident etc, that ways at least you'll feel like youre doing something now...

• Robdar
    Robdar

1. I hate the thought of watching my children die or suffer and die. I expect there will be some sort of end of things within the next decade, just based on global warming and government stupidity.

Yes, there is a possibility that government stupidity could lead to some sort of global catastrophe. But maybe not. There is also a possibility that a huge asteroid will hit the earth. But maybe not. We can't tell what the future holds. We can only prepare and hope for the best. But no matter what we do, what precautions we take, we will eventually die.

Even if scientists could find a way for us to live forever, eventually the sun would burn out and we would die. Death is inevitable. There is no way to avoid it. Try to enjoy this life instead of worrying about losing it. Stay busy, enjoy your family, live your life to the fullest so that when your time comes, there will be few regrets. .

2. I hate the thought that my children would be left in a hostile world, without a mother or father to guide them. Worst case senario, both me and my wife are killed and then the children slowly die becuase they do not know how to survive.

You are experiencing the fear that all parents have. It is only natural that you should worry about your children and what could happen to them if you and your wife died. Since none of us know what the future holds, I suggest that you enjoy every day that you have with your children and take out a good life insurance policy.

Welcome to the forum, Spawn2u.

Robyn

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

The idea that we are living in a "special" time period in which the world will end is something promoted by many churches and authors to pump up membership, or to sell books. Christians living in the 1st century believed that Jesus would return during THEIR lifetime, and history shows that is simply did not happen. Think of how many MILLIONS of JWs (not to mention other religions), who would have gone on to college, had satisfying careers, etc, had they not been consumed by a belief that "the end is just around the corner". Instead of ruining ones life by dwelling on an anticipated Armageddon which will never occur, live so as to have the highest possible quality of life now.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can understand that parents will fear for their children ... but how do we know what to be fearful of ?

One thing that mankind has proved absolutely useless at is foretelling the future. Read the stuff written in the Victorian and turn of 19th cent. times. The new inventions of aeroplanes, tanks for battle, electricity etc were seen to be wonders that would lead certainly to the end of the world . Personally, we were all convinced in the 1960's that the world could only last a few years, due to famine, drugs , atomic weapons and the like, but somehow - here we are in the 21st century.

If it does ever come, it will be, I am sure, something entirely unforeseen because - that is life..

My view is to plan for everything that can be foreseen, and don't worry about the rest.. Life is too precious to waste worrying. it is a hangover from the dubs..

• trevor
    trevor
    1. I hate the thought of watching my children die or suffer and die.
    2. I hate the thought that my children would be left in a hostile world.

Spawn2u - are you aware of the implications of the words you use - ‘I hate the thought?’

It is thought that cause fear and pain. Thoughts about the future and what might happen which you come to hate.

Negative thoughts about the future can destroy what you have now. No one knows what tomorrow holds and it takes a mental discipline to Concentrate on the present and what you have with your children right now. This is the only true reality that exists.

Do not allow your mind to play it’s tricks on you and rob you and your family of the happiness that you can have right now. If you are full absorbed in what you are doing with family there will not be room for gloomy thoughts.

• Navigator
    Navigator

It seems to me that you have missed the point of the demonstration that Jesus did. THERE IS NO REALITY IN DEATH! It is part of the ego's plan to con you into thinking that you are merely a flesh body.

• gumby
    gumby
    Even if scientists could find a way for us to live forever, eventually the sun would burn out and we would die.

Robyn...you may want to double check yourself on this one

It's not that "type" of a star.

Gumby

Correction

The Sun appears to have been active for 4.6 billion years and has enough fuel to go on for another five billion years or so. At the end of its life, the Sun will start to fuse helium into heavier elements and begin to swell up, ultimately growing so large that it will swallow the Earth. After a billion years as a red giant, it will suddenly collapse into a white dwarf -- the final end product of a star like ours. It may take a trillion years to cool off completely.

Gumwrong

• carla
    carla

What is it you fear about death so much? My only fear about dying would be leaving a minor child with a jw dad at the moment. Otherwise I could go anytime, wouldn't bother me. It would be sad for those left behind. If you know where you are going when you die it's not a scary thought at all. The moment of death is a bit scary, meaning the physical pain but not the rest. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no hurry to go and have many plans and hopes for the future.

What makes you think 'the end is near'? Can you name any era in written history in which someone didn't think 'this is the end?' 'Very soon now'. I suggest you try to get a copy of 'The End Times-When? by Jonson and Wolf ( I believe) That may give you some perspective on end times.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Your fears for your children are normal and natural. But if you're living in a constant state of anxiety, you'll suck the joy out of yourself and your family. Protect your children, yes, but enjoy each moment with them as well, and let the future take care of itself. You can drive yourself crazy with worrying about plagues, disasters, and wars that may or may not happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit