Anyone Here Do Any Stock Market Investing?

by BlackPearl 23 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Sorry I didn't get to this topic sooner.

The market is very difficult to judge right now because of interest rate and inflation worries. People also need to consider what their

investment goals are. That said, here we go:

For income and some safety, outside of the US - "FAX" - an Australian bond fund that pays about 7% Also. look at Canadian oil

and coal trusts - that may pay 10-14%. ( FDG, PGH, PVX)

For tax free income, investigate closed end municipal bond funds for your particular state, in the US. Some of these funds

pay 5-6% tax free.

For speculation, take a look at BW, EZM, RNO because zinc , copper and other metals will likely be in short supply for some

years to come. BW is a play based on a possible takeover by a hedge fund operator.

metatron

• Warlock
    Warlock

B.P.

I consider myself a Technician and I think if you are going to do anything in the market, you must consider learning to do it that way.

P.M. me and we can talk.

Warlock

• Brigid
    Brigid

Outside of real estate, I am blind when it comes to investing. I have someone do it for me (and gotten killed, btw, in the past few years). REITs are interesting (securities usually based off the secondary mortgage market). But with the housing situation in most areas of the US, these are risky at best. There are a few cities that are really booming, though (been looking at San Antonio, Albuquerque).

Anyway, good luck! I'd hire someone to do this, unless you just really enjoy it.

~Brigid

• jstalin
    jstalin

I do all my own retirement investing. I've invested in stocks, mutial funds, ETFs, options, futures, and forex. I've learned that the best way to go over time is to mimick the indexes. Most of my money is in S&P500 and NASDAQ index funds. I do some dabbling with individual stocks, but over time it's much harder to match the consistent growth of the market as a whole.

Having said that, the companies that I individually invest in are Altria, Toyota, and FerrellGas Partners. Not a big selection, but solid companies with good growth and a history of dividends.

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Wow! I'm very impressed with the knowledge base on this forum. I will forever more serve as your Buffettologist (study of Warren Buffett's investing ways and why he buys what he buys) I'm in the mortgage business and love it, have lot's of satified customers...but for the last ten years I've also been a student of Warren Buffett, I love the stock market, it is truly a passion of mine. As a result I've studied and learned the ways of Buffett and have a very nice investing history of returns...23% annualized!

Now...Mr. Buffett has averaged 28% over his career with Berkshire Hathaway, I don't think I'll ever achieve that, but I'll try. Essentially, the rule of 72 (72 / by desired rate of return = time it takes to double your money) or (72 / by the time you want to double your money = rate of return you'll need to accomplish the task) says that at a 23% average annualized return on investment your money will double every 3.13 years.

Anyway...I'm proud to announce that I'm getting my license as an "Investment Advisor". I'm so eager to help others manage their money and to get their piece of the pie. Actually, that was what drove me to do this. I've had clients ask me for the past several years to help them invest, and then recently, one very sorry dejected soul came into my office for a refinance. I could see the angst on his face, he's an electrician, makes about $20.00 per hour, getting nowhere fast, just paying the bills and getting by with his family. So he says with these big sad eyes..."will you help me"? Now, normally I don't get too emotional about these things, especially with a big burly guy sitting across the desk, but this was different, he was begging for help. I said, "Yes! I'll help you". Wow, what a great feeling that was!

So...I get my license soon and we're off to the races. Anyone that wants to ask any questions about any particular company to invest in, just let me know. Occasionally, I'll share a good find with you all and give you reasons it would be a good investment. It's my passion, it's what I love, it's what I do.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'd normally let out a big "groan" to hear anyone say they are getting into the investment advice business. You are entering a world of greedy little wannabees, who almost universally do more harm than good.

Let me shout that: INVESTMENT ADVISORS ALMOST UNIVERSALLY DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD!

Now that we have that out of the way, good on ya! You sound as if you'll be one of the few good ones. The world needs more people who actually understand value. Warren Buffet is a true giant, both as an investor, and as a human.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Cool Thread..Buffet`s the man..I`m being tutored by a banker inlaw..Thats funny..OUTLAW`s INLAW`s..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Haha...just as long as you don't become an outlaw with your inlaws. Then you might need the law for protection for being an outlaw.

• barry
    barry

I use Technical annalysis to trade the other approach is Fundamental annalysis. Have any of you herad of the Turtles. These were people taught to trade they were called the Turtles because only half of ordinary people obey the trading rules and so lnly half survived. The Turtles consistently made 70% profit per annum trading simply by obeying the guidlines of trading.

For the small trader Technical Annalysis provides the best comparitive advantage. Trading on news events or relying on reccommendations is fraught with grief.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Be real careful. It has been my experience that if I get the urge to invest in the market, I just take the money into the bathroom and flush it. - then I go to a bar, pick a fight with a big guy and get the crap beat out of me. It's faster than investing in the market, and the results are pretty much the same...less the brokerage fee.

BTW, I still have fond memories of losing almost 3 grand in less than 30 minutes in futures trading.

I guess I was never meant to piss in the tall grass with the big dogs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit