Tips for electric oven/ceramic hobs?

by greendawn 10 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

I am now about to buy a new electric oven and ceramic electric hobs so if anyone has advice and tips on these devices let us know.

The oven will be Bosch or Siemens with triple glass on the door and of course fun assisted, that way food cooks faster and better as a crust is created quickly on the surface of food and seals in the juices, eg meats come out very succulent and tender. Also there is no need to turn food round.

The hobs will be chosen from the same brands. They will not be induction type as these cost twice as much (about $600 more) and it will take for ever to recoup the extra expense through the lower running costs. Also with induction cooking one has to buy special saucepans and throw away or sell the old.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I have to say my prefered choice is to go for a fan assisted oven, with a gas hob. I'm not familiar with all type's of electric hobs but the usual type are much harder to control than a gas one - which has instant heat and easy control. Maybe others know of better electric versions out there that compare well to a gas hob?

CS 101

• restrangled
    restrangled

I bought a Bosche electric oven/convection oven last year.

Drawbacks: I have yet to get the timing right using the convection fan on anything I've cooked.

The heating element in the bottom of the oven is actually below the unit. Not realizing this I lined the bottom of the oven with tin foil for spills and promtly had the tin foil melt to the bottom which I am still trying to get off.

What ever you do, don't by the color black. The touch pad is impossible to clean and shows every fingerprint and looks horrible all the time. You actually have to lock the keypad to keep it from continually beeping to clean it.

Good luck with your purchase.

restrangled

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I assume you've got no gas coz electric hobs suck majorly. No good for real cooking, only for heating stuff up.

With induction hobs it is the simplicity of cleaning that is far more interesting than the saving in power; any pan that you can stick a magnet to will work on them.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I'm a "Yank." What the heck is a hob?

• trevor
    trevor

I have a ceramic hob and would never go back to gas.

It is easy to clean easy to use and I prefer to cook by numbers instead of having to bend down to see how how the gas is and spill my drink in the process. Gas worked for cave men but we have moved on.

• simplesally
    simplesally

He is shopping for an electric oven and stovetop! I am American, too, I had to look it up.

I have a double electric oven. The one on top is a microwave/convection and the bottom one is a traditional/convection oven combo.

My stovetop is a Viking stovetop.

• trevor
    trevor

And there was me thinking a stove-top was a blouse for a plump woman

• kid-A
    kid-A

I've had both. Right now I have a flat surface electric by Kenmore. There are pros and cons with both.

In terms of cooking efficacy, I have'nt noticed a difference. However, the electrics take longer to cool down which can be annoying when you are switching pots or pans that require separate cooking temps. Gas is faster, but I found cleaning the gas range a huge pain in the ass, removing the grids, etc. With the flat surface electric, I just wipe the whole thing down in 10 seconds and I am done with it. I have also saved alot of money using electric. All in all, I wouldnt go back to a gas range.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Kid A surely cleaning all those metal prongs of gas cookers is a pain, too many nooks and crannies, those ceramic hobs with the touch buttons (instead of knobs) are dead easy to clean.

Sally whatever the case ceramic hobs are totally independent of the oven and could be altogether of a different brand eg Bosch oven, Siemens hobs. They may not be as controllable for heat output as gas but they have around 10 stages.

Restrangled convection (fan assisted) ovens should be set about 20 degrees celsius lower than the temps recommended for ordinary ovens.

Halogen hobs heat up almost instantly but they are out of fashion by now, bad for the eyes perhaps?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit