Society not doing a very good job of getting their Armageddon message out.

by ithinkisee 9 Replies latest jw friends

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

In this LA Times article, they mention every other 'end time' prophecy group - except JWs.

But I thought JW's were the ONLY ONES preaching about Jesus and the end ...

'End Times' Religious Groups Want Apocalypse Soon

-ithinkisee

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Great Article. 40% of Americans believe we are in the last days, and not a mention of JWs. I feel totally irrelevant now.

I'd love the see that red heffer, the only cow in the world worthy of dieing for Jesus.

• carla
    carla

It is ironic that the jw's don't even get a message. However, if you were to bring this to the attention of a jw I believe they would say something like this, 'see? even the other religions believe the end is near'. They may even believe the 'other' religions got the idea from them and their preaching work!

All this 'end of the world' preaching going on, is that really the message that the bible says to 'go forth to all the nations' with?

• blondie
    blondie

I'm wondering if they solicited comments from JWs/WTS and they declined on the basis of the term end-times. The WTS makes a big deal that the term is "time of the end" not even commenting on "end-time" being used by other religions.

I did find these quotes off the CD:

So much for the broad and obvious prophetic testimony which he who runs may read. Now the book of the Revelation (and to some extent Second Thessalonians) takes up these prophecies of the end time, and enters into the detail of them. By this we know not merely that the end is calamitous and catastrophic, but also of what elements the calamitous catastrophe is made up. Observe, I do not say that the Revelation tells us what precedes the catastrophe, but of what the catastrophe itself consists.

(ZWT 1/15/1894, R1612, p23)

(only one case for end time; none for end times)

(145 times "time of the end" in CT Russell's publications)

http://www.ctrussell.us/ctrussell/ctrussell.nsf/All?OpenView

Has anybody tried e-mail the author with an update? (what is his email?) By Louis Sahagun, Times Staff Writer
    June 22, 2006

Blondie

• greendawn
    greendawn

They cried out wolf too many times and people got fed up with their false alarms, they have been predicting the end since their inception 130 years ago. First for 1914 and after that it has always been just round the corner. For nearly a century the end is too near for the JWs to worry about secular pursuits.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I think the article fails to mention the JWs simply because they are irrelevant. Of the many work people i have spoken to over the years, there was only one that had the slightest concept of what Jehovah's Witnesses believe. Many could not recall ever being witnessed to, and those that do normally think of them as the annoying bible magazine sellers.

In the middle of last century (50 years ago) the Watchtower Society made a lot of noise and was one of the fastest growing religions in the world. Not any more. It is no surprise that an article would simply overlook mentioning them.

• yucca
    yucca

A lot of christians believe this is the last days. They dont set dates nor do they push people to give up education or sell off there houses and spend it going door to door. They also dont look forward to armagaddon or live in fear. They look to Christs return. The bible says no one knows the time or date so they go on with life as God wants them to do. So there is a big difference from what the JWS preach.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

The difference between JWs and many other religious groups who may profess a belief in the return of Christ, is that to JWs it is the "be all and end all" of their belief system. Without it the JWs whole system would fall apart.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    I think the article fails to mention the JWs simply because they are irrelevant. Of the many work people i have spoken to over the years, there was only one that had the slightest concept of what Jehovah's Witnesses believe. Many could not recall ever being witnessed to, and those that do normally think of them as the annoying bible magazine sellers.

The spider in the bathtub

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I noticed the same thing on the History Channel, I believe the program was "Countdown to Armageddon." They mentioned several groups over the centuries including William Miller and the Adventists. They skipped right over the JWs but mentioned several other religious groups. We were told several years ago that our message should be of peace--not to instill fear in the householders. We really only talk about Armageddon at the meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit