Do you feel as if you're losing your liberties you once had?

by JH 16 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I went to the bank today, just to change 50$ Canadian to US money.

They needed my name, address, bank number and so on......

I told them, why do you need all this information?

I remember not many years ago, where I could have changed 1000$ Canadian for US money and no questions asked.

It just seems that big brother is everywhere and wants to know everything you do.

I was just wondering if I'm the only one being bothered by this.

Sarcastically, I asked the girl at the bank, "If I changed 1 dollar for 4 quarters, would you have asked me all those questions.....

• JH
    JH

Gee, You want a hedge, you need a permit and ask permission on your own lot.

You want to sell your car, you can't put a sign in your own car if it's in the street.

But cops can park in your entrance and do radar......year sure....

• under_believer
    under_believer

You think it's bad up there, come on down here to the United Secure States of America. Our President says he doesn't have to obey or enforce any laws passed by our representatives that he doesn't agree with.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Of course we're losing many liberties we once had.
    Here in the U.S. its not just a phenomenon of the Bush administration no matter what the bashers say. Clinton was just as bad about it but came at it from different angles. About the only "freedoms" which are expanding are sexual in nature. part of that is the nature of our government.
    The only way Congress can do anytrhing about anything is to makes laws. Well guess what, everytime Congress does that we tend to lose some little piece of freedom. The president uses presidential decrees and his ability to influence the creation of Federal Regulations to get more and more control of various aspects of J. Q. Citizen's life and invade his privacy. In respects to presidential decrees, Clinton's folks had a saying about that "Stroke of the pen, law of the land. Cool!"
    I am not so much dumping on Clinton as pointing out that the chipping away at our libeties here goes on no matter who is in power. Politicans gravitate to power. That is a truth which seems valid anywhere and anytime.
    Forscher

• JH
    JH

As you all know, I'm Canadian and we live in a free country also, but when I went to Wisconsin last year, I saw people driving motorcycles with no helmets on, with no lights on in the front of the bike, I saw different traffic laws where there were NO stops signs at certain intersections, on either side !!!! Just do a yeild if some one was coming in the other direction....lol

Right there I noticed that you had more liberties, although it seemed dangerous at first.

I adapted to it quite rapidly though.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I went to Sears to buy an electric alarm clock on clearance for 10 bucks........

the sale would not finalize at the cash register without giving my name, address and phone number.....

I told them to forget it.......I would go somewhere that I could buy a clock without giving all my personal information.

Also when I shop at some places they will ask for a phone number or zip code when doing the sale. I always refuse to give it. I am not trying to be difficult, but it feels like a constant invasion.

purps

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    If I changed 1 dollar for 4 quarters, would you have asked me all those questions

this is no lie!!!!!! Our company secretary took loose change to the back......quarters dimes, nickels, pennies.......for dollar bills. They would not do this for her, even when asked of the bank manager.........they told her to take it to a local grocery and drop it in the machine to count it ......it costs 8% at the grocery to do this. the money was counted out and was not even enough to roll.

Anyway, I took it to our companies bank and got it done.........

its a bank!!!!!!!!!!! i just dont get it.

purps

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I grew up, as many of us here did, during the "sputnik era." Science was heavily emhasised in school, and everyone was encouraged to explore the wonders of science.

Today it is illegal in Texas to own much of the glassware that is associated with a chemistry set.

The reason? Meth labs. You see, if a criminal can't get a pyrex erlenmeyer flask, he will not commit criminal offenses.

Some real goons are writing the laws these days.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Purps said,

Also when I shop at some places they will ask for a phone number or zip code when doing the sale. I always refuse to give it. I am not trying to be difficult, but it feels like a constant invasion.

Purps, I understand your irritation. What I would do in the same situation -- or rather, what I do -- is MAKE UP a plausible name and address with a nearby zip code that was not my own.

That way you get what you want and the corporate data miners get garbage.

• JH
    JH
    Purps, I understand your irritation. What I would do in the same situation -- or rather, what I do -- is MAKE UP a plausible name and address with a nearby zip code that was not my own

Haha, that's exactly what I told the lady at the bank.....I said, "what makes you think that I'm giving you my real name and address", after showing her that I was pissed off.

She didn't say anything, as if she didn't really care......So why ask me those informations?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit