Sorry, another 607 question? I'm confused.

by lost_light06 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

I’m trying to figure something out concerning the WT’s 607-1914 chronology that has me confused. I thought they based the chronology on when Jerusalem was destroyed. However, the following is taken from the Daniel book and it seems to base it on something else.

When did the counting of the "seven times" begin? After Zedekiah, the last king in the typical Kingdom of God, was removed from the throne in Jerusalem by the Babylonians. (Ezek. 21:25-27) Finally, by early October of 607 B.C.E. the last vestige of Jewish sovereignty was gone. By that time the Jewish governor, Gedaliah, who had been left in charge by the Babylonians, had been assassinated, and the remaining Jews had fled to Egypt. (Jeremiah, chapters 40-43) Reliable Bible chronology indicates that this took place 70 years before 537 B.C.E., the year in which the Jews returned from captivity; that is, it took place by early October of 607 B.C.E

Correct me if I’m wrong but this seems to differ from past WT articles and publications which place the importance on the destruction of Jerusalem. Here it is placing the importance on the loss of sovereignty and the throne by Zedekiah. Is this another “new light” change? Did the WT abandon the assertion that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 but asserting that it lost it’s sovereignty in 607? Also, when was the Jewish king overthrown? We know Jerusalem was destroyed in 586/587 but it had already been “captive” under the Babylonian empire, but for how many years?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

No, lost_light06, the assertion that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 remains. This is also the time when King Zedekiah was removed.

• sir82
    sir82

Sorry, nothing to add, I just want to start a pool...

I'll go first. I say Scholar will post here on June 23 at 9:00 AM.

In case of a tie, here's the tie-breaker: I say he'll mention "celebrated Watchtower scholars" in the 4th sentence of his post.

• Theocrat
    Theocrat

The "seven times" prophecy starts with the beginning of exiles being taken to Babylon, which obviously happened when Jerusalem's destruction was finished. That's how we arrive at 607 a the correct date, because even historians acknowledge that the exile lasted 70 years and ended in 537. Poor ole Ray Franz forgot that little detail when he was on his quest for scholarly glory.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

Thanks everyone.

Theocrat........yeah....okay

• Theocrat
    Theocrat
    Thanks everyone.

Theocrat........yeah....okay

Yeah I know...kinda devastates your case...but you'll get over it.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

No, not really. I still have every other false prediction an lie to convince me of the WT's true origin. Just because you say things like "obviously happened" and "the correct date" doesn't mean your right or even convincing. It does mean that you certainly have the WT lingo down pat.

• Theocrat
    Theocrat

All I hear is crying.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Watch Tower weasel will just have to say that Jerusalem was destroyed invisibly in 607. Why wouldn't the 607 proof of Jesus' invisible return in 1914 also be invisible? It's like debating whether Tinkerbell's magic powder was pink or white.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Say, theocrat - what year did Nebuchadnezzer die?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit