Philippines JW SUPREME COURT SCANDAL

by DannyHaszard 17 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It seems like the Branch (or maybe just the CO, initially) was actually sensible, in this case.

The wierd thing is how it's so inconsistent with the demands made on JWs in the West. I wonder if things will change in Britain, as the cohabitation laws are introduced?

Nawwwwww...

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    If I understand correctly, Ms. Escritor was scripturally free to remarry but not legally free to do so under Philippine law. ; So the WTS allowed her to live as a common-law wife of Luciano Quilapio Jr. ; This to me sounds reasonable and just and must have seemed so as well to the Philippine Supreme Court. ; So what is the problem?

I do not think there is a problem. They are not just living ogether also, they do a bow of failtfullness in front of the elders. (not an official marriage) the elders are also normally allowed to perform marriages there.
    So, you could say thay are married, only not legally.

It seems like the Branch (or maybe just the CO, initially) was actually sensible, in this case.

It is the official arrangement in the phil. Not just from the CO.

The wierd thing is how it's so inconsistent with the demands made on JWs in the West. ; I wonder if things will change in Britain, as the cohabitation laws are introduced?

Nawwwwww...

here, there are official cohabilitation laws. Living together with a contract and being married is not treated differntly for the law. Just only for JW law. something very illogical here....
  • James Free
    James Free

Sorry Guys, but I agree with the WT on this one.

You cannot get a divorce in the Philippines. If you get a divorce in another country it is not recognised there.

You can apply for an anullment. Not only is it hard to get, and expensive - more than $2000 when 40% of the population is surviving on a dollar a day - but if one of the partners does not cooperate it is impossible. In this case the woman had been abandoned. As part of the annulment procedure, both parties have to undergo a psycological examination to determine they were not 'capable' of making their vows.

The Philippines is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and the Catholic Church has an iron grip on the political scene. It is one of only five countries left in the world that denies its citizens this basic human right.

There are enough reasons for being critical of the WT without selecting a story that highlights an ignorance of the facts. As for those who say thw WT expects its members to obey the law in other countries; it is not true. Where local law conflicts with their understanding of scripture it is not followed. This is one such example.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Like here (and in the USA) there are some old laws that are more or less obsolete, but still official valid. Knowbody would care too much about them anymore.

Like the law in Florida that forbids unmarried women to skydive on a Sunday?

Or the one in Nebraska, where it is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup?

Or in New York, where the penalty for jumping off a building is death?

http://www.lawguru.com/weird/part01.html

• oldflame
    oldflame

Did couples have to go and fill out papers and pay a fee when they got married in Jesus days ? NO ! There was a ceremony of the marriage and then the man took his woman into his home and consummated the marriage and that was all there was to it. No monies, no papers to be filed just an acknowledgement to one another and to God. Simple

The only reason for all the crap in order to be married today is profits for the governments and that is all it is................

I totally believe that marriage should still be the same way (A Commitment)

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

SC saves union of unmarried Jehovah couple
    Tempo, Philippines - 18 minutes ago
    The Supreme Court, voting 9-5 yesterday saved the union of a couple belonging to the Jehovah Witness religious sect in a landmark decision that defined the ...
    Supreme Court says living-in not immoral Manila Standard Today
    SC: Live-in OK, but… Journal Online
    SC upholds religious freedom in case written by Justice Puno Manila Bulletin
    Sun.Star - all 5 related »

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I am married to a Filipino and it intrigues me the difference between Filipino JWs and Australian ones. For a start, none of the Filipino JWs shun me. It is not uncommon for Filipino JWs to be illegal immigrants in Australia, it is a question that you are advised not to ask. I am also aware of a number of Filipinos that go clubbing, gamble etc. I agree that the more relaxed stance they take is quite refreshing.

The hypocrisy of this stance is that they are allowed to break Caesars law and marry a married person. Yet if two JWs separate they are never to be remarried, unless of course one of them commits immorality, which invariably one of them does to get around this JW law. It shows that a highly legalistic group will end up creating contradictory situations. It would be a far healthier religion if people could determine for themselves what the best option was considering their individual circumstances.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can remember the article that Blondie (God bless her) found for us so quickly. my understanding was that in lands where divorce was a total no no that a witness with scriptural grounds could square it with the elders , make some Declaration with the congregation and then co habit away.

At the time several of us thought it was a strange thing, and were not happy with the principle of it - but since we lived in the UK where the situation would not arise we thought no more of it.

I do not suppose they foresaw the arrangement going before a court and a Witness claiming that "religious freedom" should allow her to live more liberally than the rest of the population .

It seemed to me that if "Caesar" decreed a law that did not prevent the Witness carrying on the faith, it should be applied ..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit