Religious Fanatacism

by drahcir yarrum 34 Replies latest jw friends

• felix a
    felix a
    You don't see the silently shocked people on the streets. So you don't see them on TV. TV does not equal "reality".

I couldn't agree more.

Seeing this Palestian woman and her children dancing in the street or men firing their weapons into the air in celebration of today's attack disgusted me. It incensed me. And I had to remind myself that it was these individuals who should disgust me and not all Muslims or Arabs.

My cousins husband is Arabic, he is a professor, and he is a naturalized American. Tonight he and his wife are in prayer for the victims and survivors of todays incident. I would not want people to hate him or wish him any harm because of the color of his skin or country of his birth.

This blind unreasoned hatered is something that all of us IMO must be on guard against.

I also would wish everyone involved in these acts of terrorism a slow and painful death. And I hope that we as a nation find out who they are and take care of them no matter the race or religion.

David P

• fodeja
    fodeja
    please quote me a Jewish or Christian doctrine or law that calls for the annhilation of an islamic country.

Does it have to be Islamic? When I wrote "learn history" in my last message, I was referring to a history of 2000 years of organised homicide in the very name of the Christian God, directed against *all* sorts of ethnic groups and belief systems. Among others, Islam (even though the Church is *still* holding up the notion that the crusades were a sort of a noble liberation effort, to some extent). If you don't believe that unless I throw some quotes at you, I should better stick to my "learn history!" exclamation.

You originally asked where some Islamic people get their terroristic ideas from. Your point being, if I understand it correctly, that Islam is somehow inherently more violent (or, more suitable for violent fundamentalism) than Christianity. I ask: where did all those Christians get their ideas from?

f.

p.s.: http://shamir.mediamonitors.net/april242001.html

• Kent
    Kent

Talking about Religious Fanaticm, take a look at what the JWs has to say about the event.

It's a fantastic display of fanaticm on many pages over there!

quote:
    --------------

Scary but exciting?
    ---------------

Yes!! That's the ticket. I couldn't think of intelligent words, but that's what I've been feeling. And, while they were all trepidatious this a.m. at the meeting, I was just sitting there, kinda like looking around at 'em, giving glory to Jehovah God silently in my heart!!!!

quote:
    -----------

Tragic events like this are opportunities to display our Christian Neutrality in our comments and opinions.
    -------------

Good point re. "neutrality" particularly when it comes to political issues. I'm wondering when folk we know, or come in contact with are faint out of fear, and the host of other emotions that are surely to surface, wouldn't it be a good thing to Witness to them, to not keep one's opinion to self [particularly when that opinion revolves around the Kingdom hope] to impart hope and encouragement or to try to open a way for dialogue in order to do as Jesus and the apostles in not holding back speaking the things God has told us?

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: salsadiva ]

. http://www.witnessesonline.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/witnessesonline/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000143&p=2

Yakki Da

Kent

I need more BOE letters, KMs and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• Gimme3steps
    Gimme3steps

At the risk of my seeming elitist, consider this, please, Fodeja,..
    America tolerates all religious, peacefull practice, and our armed forces, have not, in the last 30 years, risen against anyone, for their religious, or ethnic,...dis-similarities. Sure, 30 years is a drop in the bucket, compared to 2000, I chose that figure, conservatively,..the point being,....one has to consider,where the human family is, currently, in it's progression, towards civility. Sure, history is replete, with examples, of barbarism, committed, in the name of Christ,.also, in the name of Allah,...but does that mean,....we continue to use those misplaced ideals, to justify our barbarism, so that we can continue ?..America, is past that,...by the most conservative time frame, so is most, of the rest of the world. So it either must be, that Islam is absolutely, the single true path, in which case, no thank ya, personally, i dont believe in "Sharia"..(except, now , I do, on a limited basis,I think it should be literally applied, to the perpetrators)....or...I'm an elitist, looking down upon, what I percieve to be, values that are barbaric, and have no place, in civilized society. Please understand,..I separate, the human, from the ideology,
    I blame the ideology, personally, and the actual humans, that sponsored, these acts, today.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

The first thing I saw when I got in front of a TV yesterday was an interview with two black guys, one of whom had been helped out by another when he'd been trapped.

The guy who was trapped said "I was crying out and scared and praying to Allah to save me".

I thought that was brilliant, as it displays very clearly this is not so much about Islam, or race, but about terrorism.

I will conceed that certain ideological elements in the Islamic world are supporters of terrorism.

But how many Americans contributed money to or vocally supported the IRA?

How many Roman Catholics, or Serbian Orthodox members(I think that's the denomination), or Church of Ireland members or Zionist Jews have supported acts of terror? Any one remember Bader Mienhof (sp?)? You can have atheistic terrorists too.

How often is the religion just a modifying factor in the act or terror, but gain, politics or history are the real motivating factors?

A civilian target is a civilian target, and when it is not even unavoidable collateral damage but a deliberate attempt to kill as many civilians as possible, peoples' justifications for acts of terror are varied and irrelevant.

I think this will cause a schism in the Arab world. You either defend the indefensable (and only Iraq has thus far), or condemn it. There is no fence left to sit on.

In a way, it is a threshold event in a 'New World Order', where it will become acceptable to act against terrorists in a way that suspends normally held ideas of justice and due process, on a 'do it unto them before they do it unto you' basis.

I believe the US will use this opportunity to search out and seize, or kill in the process of trying, many more terrorists than are involved. They will, quite justifably, regard themselves as having the right to detain people on suspicion of terrorism, and then worry about trials and due process, and punish governments who harbour suspected individuals.

A Possible Scenario;

Let us assume it is decided to get the Saudi terrorist leader that is assumed to be behind it.

The Taliban reigeme would not let him go straight away.

I think the US will possibly use 'called shots' as retribution for this. They will inform the government concerned that in 24 hours such and such a place will be destroyed, and quite possibly leaflet the area from the air.

Thus, any civilians will have ample opportunity to leave (although there is a possiblility that the Taliban would use its citizens forcably as shield as Saddam Hussain used Western hostages in the Gulf Conflict).

This would minimise civilian casualties, and allow the US to slowly dismantle Afghanistan's infrastructure and governmental buildings.

Eventually, the Taliban would spit up the terrorists like a hairball, or their reigeme would fall and the incoming reigeme would serve him up on a platter.

This would serve two purposes, the capture of the suspect, and quite possibly terminal destabilisation of the psychotic Taliban reigeme, followed by International invovlement to rebuild the coutries infrastructure and human rights.

And it would set a precident for immediate and terrible retribution of anyone associated with acts of terror that would actually push the world from the transitional post-cold war period into a second transitional phase which would eventually evolve into some form of World government, with strong regionalisation but a hand of iron wielded against anyone breaking the 'Pax United Nations'.

People once spoke of a 'Pax Romanica', or a 'Pax Britanica', at the height of those Empires, where there was peace enforced by the centre of the Empire. Until such a time that a form of World government, I think we are going to see the start of a 'Pax Americana'.

Isolationalism and aversion from extra-territorial involvement will no longer be a viable option for American politics.

If you leave dens of vipers alone, they breed...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit