Letting Go......

by anewme 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• trevor
    trevor
    Why is it that the Buddhists and new agers are always saying to "let it go"? As if this life is so awful that they do not want to be in touch with it?

The idea is to let go of our resistance to life and except it. By letting go of resistance we fully embrace life.

If, for example we are suffering emotional pain, we can let go of our resistance and embrace the experience. Pain can benefit us but only if we except and let go of resistance. Most pain is caused by resistance to our situation or an inability to accept.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Would you consider anger a blessing emotion or mood that you would love to stay in for as long as possible?

Good Morning DHL,

Yes, I consider properly directed anger a blessing. Because of anger, I got out of the WTBTS. Because of anger, I stayed out. Because of this anger, I assisted my family in finding a way out. This anger led to hope and to a new life. It led to happiness and joy. It was an impetus to act. I've had other experiences where anger has caused me to acheive much more than I would have if I had stifled it or let it go.

OTOH, there are time where I have let my anger towards others go very quickly but only because I realized that it was their anger that I had agreed to share in. It wasn't mine.

Kind regards,

Robyn

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

A good article, though open to misinterpretation, as with so much that is written...

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The example of anger is a good one I guess. Here "letting go" can mean "releasing" it, expressing it rather than repressing it. Not overexpressing it either, nor entertaining more than it really lasts for the sake of consistency.

• Robdar
    Robdar

The example of anger is a good one I guess. Here "letting go" can mean "releasing" it, expressing it rather than repressing it. Not overexpressing it either, nor entertaining more than it really lasts for the sake of consistency. If Buddhists would remember to embrace the emotions and then let them go when they have completed the task would be better, I think. Instead, too many try to deny them or let them go before they have run a natural course. The story above was, imo, just plain weird:

It is here that the heart learns the secret "that to let go is also to embrace what is true." For one Buddhist teacher who had trained for years in monastery, a painful divorce and the death of one of her children catapulted her into profound grief and a reexamination of all her years of practice.

"I became overwhelmed. I would weep for days on end, not knowing how I could live, what to do. It was a teaching that no amount of meditation could help me through. I really had to face the suffering of the world and the suffering of my own mind. In those years I finally learned the necessity of letting go, of opening to the truth no matter what."

What in the world is wrong with grief? It is a natural human emotion. It shows that we love the person that has left us. It shows that we miss them. To beat yourself up for feeling natural human emotions, as I feel this Buddhist teacher was doing, is, imo, wrong.

• mouthy
    mouthy

The story above was, imo, just plain weird:My sentiments exactly Robdar

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I thought that was the moral of the story

• kid-A
    kid-A

"It is a truth of the heart that what we resist makes us frightened, hard, inflexible, and what we embrace becomes transformed."

Amen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit