Why jw's can't research UN, etc..

by carla 17 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Calliope,

That is the stock, canned, straight from the publications answer. What they all fail to recognize is the Scripture they base doctrinal "new light" on doesn't mention "new" light at all and has nothing whatsoever to do with organizational progress in understanding.

Proverbs 4:14-19 — Into the path of the wicked ones do not enter, and do not walk straight on into the way of the bad ones. Shun it, do not pass along by it; turn aside from it, and pass along. For they do not sleep unless they do badness, and their sleep has been snatched away unless they cause someone to stumble. For they have fed themselves with the bread of wickedness, and the wine of acts of violence is what they drink. But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established. The way of the wicked ones is like the gloom; they have not known at what they keep stumbling.

This is what the paragraph reads like in the NWT without those confusing verse numbers preventing examination of the context. An individual is being instructed: "Do not do this, do that instead." This isn't prophetic instruction directed toward an organization, or a prophetic proclamation about how to identify God's organization. This is comparing one life course to another life course.

It metaphorical, but not prophetic. They have ONE verse in the entire Bible that they use to explain the "light" doctrine and, in context, it demonstrably does not do so. On the other hand, there are MANY verses that indicate the gospel would not change. One paragraph from the NT leaps readily to mind:

Galatians 1:6-9 — I marvel that YOU are being so quickly removed from the One who called YOU with Christ’s undeserved kindness over to another sort of good news. But it is not another; only there are certain ones who are causing YOU trouble and wanting to pervert the good news about the Christ. However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed. As we have said above, I also now say again, Whoever it is that is declaring to YOU as good news something beyond what YOU accepted, let him be accursed.

This flies directly in the face of their "new light" doctrine. Check out the elipses in the most recent study article that used these verses:

*** w88 5/1 p. 12 par. 11 The Challenge of Following in His Footsteps ***11 Because of this very real danger, Paul felt compelled to warn his brothers in the early Christian congregation: “I marvel that you are being so quickly removed from the One who called you with Christ’s undeserved kindness over to another sort of good news. . . . There are certain ones who are causing you trouble and wanting to pervert the good news about the Christ. . . . Whoever it is that is declaring to you as good news something beyond what you accepted, let him be accursed.” (Galatians 1:6-9) In keeping with Paul’s example, the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses today warns us of apostates and false brothers who lay down, as it were, counterfeit footprints. True Christians do not want to deviate from the path Christ has set before them at God’s direction.—Psalm 44:18.

What faithful JW ever looks up and reads partially quoted Scriptures? I know we never did, as a family. However, the WTS successfully hid the fact that Galatians says that even if Paul and the other apostles, or an angel out of heaven came with a different gospel that such a declarer would be accursed. Paul directly said that even if his footprints deviated from the gospel as the Galatians received it, he would be accursed.

What sophistry. They are filthy in their deceit.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    But if the inspiration comes then it does and their eyes get opened. That's why so many leave.

Spot on, Greendawn. When I first started to have doubts, I fought very hard to suppress them. The wts just had to be right, and my doubts were because I had left myself open to negative thinking somehow. But when I finally started reading the true story behind the UN membership, and the child abuse scandals, I couldn't stop. I did nothing else for days, just read on the Internet on sites like freeminds and this board. My eyes had truly been opened, and it wasn't long before I left altogether.

The battle to get jws to see the truth about the wts isn't so much to get them to accept the information available, but more to get them to read it in the first place, conditioned as they are to avoid anything that is vaguely connected with so - called apostates like the plague.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    Why jw's can't research UN, etc..

Because they are brain-dead drones living in a self imposed prison.

They prefer chains of slavery because for whatever reason they provide comfort or familiarity. Sadly they resent those who do not choose to wear their chains, and in doing so they sacrifice relationships with those who actually cared about them and mattered.

CYP

• carla
    carla

Hi CYP, how you doing? Sometimes it feels as though fat lady has begun her song hey?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

CYP,

I disagree. My family aren't brain-dead drones. They actively employ their brains toward being good drones and toward remaining drones. I did, too.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• blondie
    blondie

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
    Joseph Goebbels.

“A lie told often enough becomes truth”
    Vladimir Lenin.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Hey Auld,

They actively employ their brains toward being good drones and toward remaining drones. I did, too.

Well I disagree in the sense that you may have employed your brains, but only with thoughts that were given to by others.

Somehow you got one of yours in there somewhere that made the programmed thoughts fall apart.... abort? retry? fail?

Seems like the fat lady sang? Nah not for me. It sings for me on graduation day of my youngest. I will hold out for her since I have to protect my children anyway. If she is still a drone on that day, I will hand her papers. On that day I go back to living for me, and living my life the way I intended. Not the way I was misled into.

In a sense though I guess it has sung. Something has died for me, and that is my vision of what our marriage was or what I thought I was to her. I realize I am a paycheck, an emotional ego booster, a hard-on, a repairman, a father to both my children and children whom I did not father... but not a spiritual father.

I am not fit for that job because I think God's approval comes through faith in Christ rather than a publishing company. The elders can fill in for that while I am at work paying attention to all those irrelevant "non-spiritual things". That way she can not work and has time to pay attention to all those "spiritual things".

So as long as I fulfill those needs for her, everything is cool with her. How I feel about any of that is irrelevant unless it effects my ability to perform the above mentioned duties. Yeah the fat lady sang. I will give her the chance to start a new show, but on graduation day... lights out.

CYP

• Terry
    Terry

Think of it this way.

Let us say you want to offer a friend the opportunity to eat a really healthy meal to replace their diet of fast junk food.

Would your offer appeal to them if:

1.They've just finished eating a huge meal of fattening/sweet crap?

2.They've got a free lifetime supply at hand?

3.They've been warned against eating anything you offer because it is poison?

No.

The Watchtower Society crams so many books, magazines, articles, pamphlets, meetings, assemblies, conventions and field service down a JW's throat they could not possibly feel hungry!!

There is no appetite! It all must begin with DESIRE. The only thing we can do for our friends is point to their condition of ill-health, depression, anxiety, boredom and patiently explain that these are SYMPTOMS OF WHAT they have been taking into their bodies on the authority of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. The "food at the proper time" is what is afflicting them. The decision to change their own diet has to be linked directly and absolutely with the meal they eat at the Kingdom Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit