Where was Daniel?

by wozadummy 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

, I guess I shouldn't be posting at midnight. Glad I didn't throw you a curve.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Daniel was playing poker with the some lions in a pit. Winners don't get eaten at a subsequent time.

I'm not really helping am I? Sorry.

INQ

• myelaine
    myelaine
    "And he [Daniel] gave a portent with respect to the mountains which are above Babylon: 'When the mountain on the north smokes, the end of Babylon is coming and when it lies as in fire, the end of all the earth. And if the mountain in the south pours forth water the people will return to its land, and if it pours forth blood, Beliar's slaughter will take place in all the earth' " (4:19-20).

....so...what should we do about this?

love michelle

• myelaine
    myelaine

Take away from Me the noise of your songs, for I will not hear the melody of your stringed instruments. But let justice run down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream.

And though they hide themselves on the top of Carmel, from there I will search and take them; though they hide from My sight at the bottom of the sea, from there I will command the serpent, and it shall bite them; Though they go into captivity before their enemies, from there I will command the sword, and it shall slay them. I will set My eyes on them for harm and not for good. (Amos 5:23-24, 9:3-4)

michelle

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    ....so...what should we do about this?

*smile* I guess we should keep our eyes on the mountains near Iraq. (BTW, what mountains are to the south of Babylon?)

However, like the references to Babylon in Revelation and the Sybilline Oracles, "Babylon" is a name for Rome and if the former have allusions to the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in AD 79, then I wonder if it the case with the latter.

• myelaine
    myelaine

For surely I will command, and will sift the house of Israel among all nations, as grain is sifted in a sieve; yet not the smallest grain shall fall to the ground. All the sinners of My people shall die by the sword, who say, 'The calamity shall not overtake us nor confront us.'

Are you not like the people of Ethiopia to Me, O children of Israel? says the LORD.

love michelle

• Bookey
    Bookey

This may help... Look carefully at who is commanded to show up at this false worship and then think about what Daniel is...

Dan 3:2

Then Nebuchadnezzar the king sent to gather together the satraps, the deputies, and the governors, the judges, the treasurers, the counsellors, the sheriffs, and all the rulers of the provinces, to come to the dedication of the image which Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up.

Dan 4:6

Therefore made I a decree to bring in all the WISE MEN of Babylon before me, that they might make known unto me the interpretation of the dream.

Dan 4:7

Then came in the magicians, the enchanters, the Chaldeans, and the soothsayers; and I told the dream before them; but they did not make known unto me the interpretation thereof.

Dan 4:8

But at the last Daniel came in before me, whose name was Belteshazzar, according to the name of my god, and in whom is the spirit of the holy gods: and I told the dream before him, saying ,

Dan 4:9

O Belteshazzar, master of the magicians, because I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in thee, and no secret troubleth thee, tell me the visions of my dream that I have seen, and the interpretation thereof.

It appears to me, that Daniel was not there for this occasion, and quite possibly was still at the gate of Nebuchadnezzar just as many other wise men would have been at that time. I forgot now, is this topic about why he wasn't there, or just to see if he wasn't there at all? If it is why he wasn't there, the answer is simply that he was not called to be there.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Daniel was actually the 4th man in the pit.

Warlock ("whose guess is as good as anyone's")

• Bookey
    Bookey

Ok now I see.. The problem here is that we are assuming he is a "ruler" at this time in the sense of being a sherriff or satrap or governnor in some way. As the tail end of Chapter 2 tells us...

Dan 2:48

Then the king made Daniel great, and gave him many great gifts, and made him to rule over the whole province of Babylon, and to be chief governor over all the wise men of Babylon.

Dan 2:49

And Daniel requested of the king, and he appointed Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, over the affairs of the province of Babylon: but Daniel was in the gate of the king.

• Bookey
    Bookey

The fourth "man" seen in the fire was an angel.

Dan 3:28

Nebuchadnezzar spake and said, Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, who hath sent his angel, and delivered his servants that trusted in him, and have changed the king's word, and have yielded their bodies, that they might not serve nor worship any god, except their own God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit