Armageddon is coming! Armageddon is coming! I've got to tell the king!

by Nosferatu 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

From what has been described in recent posts, this seems to be how the R+F are reacting to the WTS's push for the big A. We've got a whole convention focussed on it called "Deliverance is at hand", a new book entitled "Keep Jehover's Day In Mind", a campaign to invite people to the Deliverance convention, A campaign coming up in September, and they're studying the outdated Revelation book in 2007.

People on this board have mentioned that some R+F members are saying that Armageddon is coming within the next few hours, and even the whole Bethelite layoff excuse (going into the field) promotes all of this.

But there is no date.

The WTS is doing the exact same thing that they did for 1975, but they haven't mentioned any date. They're getting the R+F excited about Armageddon talk, but there is no goal.

How long do they expect to keep this up? They can't keep the JWs running around for too long with high expectations, or they're going to burn out.

Are they preparing for the year 2014? or 2034?

Something's on the horizon. They can't let 2014 pass by without the R+F asking questions. The R+F themselves may start touting 2014 without the WTS mentioning it, but add fuel to the fire by heavily promoting armageddon.

Your thoughts?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It's just another ploy to keep the remaining r&f in anticipation. They have no idea when armageddon is coming, if indeed it really is coming, which I doubt.

Linda, of the not fooled by that bullshit anymore class

• Zico
    Zico

I know a guy who is convinced Armageddon will come before 2015. I don't know why. He says 'it's just a feeling.' He's going to be disappointed.

Why would 2014 cause any problems?

• Warlock
    Warlock

They have 8 years to get everyone in a lather, and then 20 more years after that. I'll still be alive, I'm afraid.

Warlock (the "I've already been waiting for 23 years" one)

• greendawn
    greendawn

Out of all the adventist offshoots the JWs have profited the most out of the armageddon business because people are so naive, they can play the same old trick time and again with a fair amount of success. One wonders how many times more they will cry out wolf falsely and still be believed, still have an intact credibility.

Miller did show them a nice little trick that pays off well even in the 21st century.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I think it has to do more with "hope" than anything else. Many are seeking a release from the oppression of man rule. If someone offers you that relief, under the right conditions, you will go for it. The Bible does talk about a restoration of things, and now someone is at your door, or at work telling you it is going to happen "soon" and you can be part of it by joining with us.

Warlock

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

They've been able to float along before without a definite date, most notably in the '30s and '40s thanks to the world situation (allowing them to be quite definite on how close Armageddon was) and the '80s thanks to the "generation" teaching (with attention especially centered on this in 1984). They could probably still use the present world situation (i.e. terrorism, the Iraq war) to their advantage, just they they did with the rise of fascism in the 1930s, with WWII in the 1940s, and with the nuclear terror of the Cold War of the 1950s-1980s, but the main problem now is that growth is so slow, unlike how it was in the '50s or '80s. In the '60s, the increasingly worrying world situation (i.e. assassination of Kennedy, space race, Vietnam, domestic conflicts) was not enough to buck the slowing trends (which at the time were unprecedented since the early 1930s)...that was when the Society adopted a new date to give "sometime new to shoot for as we run to the finish line".

However, I have doubts that the Society will go this course. They learned from 1975 what can happen when expectations are not fulfilled, and with the present clime of the internet, setting a new date would be an even more risky endeavor. It might be safer to revise one of the older dates (such as 1914 or 1935), but they have their hands tied pretty much on that account too. Yet they can rest on their laurels only so long. But I don't think they've yet figured out an alternative....I suspect that setting a new date would only be done through desperation....

• rockhound
    rockhound

When I read this list, I thought of the constant sense of urgency that the witnesses are kept in year in and year out. Everyone is expected to put their life on hold and jump on the band wagon and keep excited that "any day now ", or " Its emminent" and on and on. Just pop another prozac pill and all will work out. It's like the construction forman that jumped down into the ditch , took the shovel away from the laborer and vigorously shoveled the dirt out of the hole and said "That's how I want you to do it". The laborer looked at the forman and said "Thats O.K. for a few minutes boss, but I got to do it all day"!!! When salvation is based on works, instead of being a free gift from our creator, the result is dangerous to not only our spiritual, but also our physical health.

"It's Urgent!! - The Dangers of
    Constant Urgency"
    By Ellen Ostrow, Ph.D. Founder, Lawyers Life Coach ™

THE DANGERS OF CONSTANT URGENCY

1. Chronic Hyperarousal and Stress-Related Illness When you're running on adrenaline all the time your body is in a constant state of distress. You're actually in a state of physiological hyperarousal. Stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol are produced; your heart, respiration rates and blood pressure are elevated. Your immune system is compromised. This kind of chronic stress puts you at risk for all kinds of stress-related problems including heart disease, hypertension, headaches as well as all the risks associated with an inefficiently functioning immune system.

2. Compromised Effectiveness Although you may believe you are at your best under pressure, this is a physiological impossibility. You simply cannot be thorough, clear-thinking, imaginative, optimally effective or efficient when you are in a state of hyperarousal. In fact, this is when you are most likely to make those mistakes that can result in malpractice issues.

3. Damage to Important Relationships When faced with an urgent task, we tend to push everything else aside. How often have you sacrificed time with important people in your life in order to handle a crisis? When we disappoint the people we love in order to deal with a work emergency, we expect them to understand. We explain that we just can't help it. But over time, these relationships become eroded. There's a limit to how much disappointment our friends, lovers, spouses or children can tolerate before the relationship begins to deteriorate.

4. Losing Control Of Your Life Perpetually putting out fires leads to feeling like your life is out of control. And in many ways, it is. You can become a slave to billable hours, the demands of clients, the expectations of partners. After a while, your career can feel like a runaway train, pulling you along at terrific speed, giving you no time to decide if you really want to go down this track.

5. Urgency Addiction When your life is controlled by urgency, it's unlikely that you're spending much time doing other things that restore you. Your personal needs get submerged. It's no wonder the only "high" you experience is the one you feel when you're under pressure at work. Once you're in the habit of neglecting other needs and sources of enjoyment, your only reliable source of excitement becomes this adrenaline rush.

As Stephen Covey notes, "Urgency addiction is a self- destructive behavior that temporarily fills the void created by unmet needs." (1) ROCKHOUND

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

R+F

What is that?

blessedstar

• luna2
    luna2
    One wonders how many times more they will cry out wolf falsely and still be believed

I think that the dubs always assume that in previous times their foredubs were kind of stupid or weren't listening carefully and just misunderstood. Its so different now because they just KNOW that the WTS wouldn't jerk them around and play games with dates or anything like that. By the time it dawns on them that that is exactly what the WTS has done, they are old and their time on this earth is almost up...and the cycle repeats.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit