Perfect, Nearly Perfect, and Mostly Perfect....Religion

by jgnat 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

Kero-Kero's goodbye post brought me to mind a common complaint amongst JW apologists, that all we do is bring up the bad stuff and old history. After all, "nobody's perfect".

Well, that would be fine and dandy if the WTBTS hadn't set themselves up as the sole mouthpiece for Jehovah in these 'last days'. My JW hubby brings up what he considers fatal flaws in my church's doctrines as why he could never participate in our worship. I wonder, how are the JW's any different?

It seems if the JW's want to claim top spot on the religion pile, they have to prove themselves, if not perfect, the most perfect today.

I can speak from personal observation they are not anywhere near close.

• under_believer
    under_believer

...Nor should they try to be. It's impossible for mankind to be perfect. Nowhere does the Bible specify that we should strive for perfection, either, rather that Jesus and our faith would perfect us.
    Personally, I think that the manic obsession with cleanness and perfection comes from the combination of early OCD-ridden Watchtower editors like CJ Woodworth and the true OCD-sufferer's nightmare that is the Mosaic Law. But Jesus... the Bible says that he freed humans from that yoke, and replaced it with one that was light.

• Shining One
    Shining One

>Well, that would be fine and dandy if the WTBTS hadn't set themselves up as the sole mouthpiece for Jehovah in these 'last days'. My JW hubby brings up what he considers fatal flaws in my church's doctrines as why he could never participate in our worship. I wonder, how are the JW's any different?

Jgnat,
    I wonder why this is a contentious issue between you and hubby? You regularly, (even slavishly_LOL) complain about scripture and the doctrines developed from it.....by your own church's mission statement! How are you yourself any different than a JW who questions and belittles Christian doctrine?
    Rex

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Most perfect ? - they have no charities except for the life-preserving one way information barage

Abel tended to animals that wandered about and fed here and there - Cain was the one who grew vegetables.

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

I frequently get informed of the shortcomings of various religions, especially the Catholic Church by my "bible study" wife. Great explanations of how things went wrong from the days of Constantine etc.

BUT

Don't raise any questions re false prophecy, or unloving behaviour. After all it is God's Organisation.

jgnat, can't agree more.

• Adonais Child
    Adonais Child

If I know there is a bomb in a building and I go into said building, am I condemning for saying something to those in the building or am I trying to save them from death?

• pallemar
    pallemar

yeah who to trust? the jurge who is still under, the mafia terror, and have to lie, or suffer. or the jurge, who have, got free of the mafia, and can jurge rigtfully:) I surely, know who i can trust:) sorry my france, i'm a dane:P

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

shiny one - do you have a degree in missing the point?

I agree jgnat, NO religion/church/sect will have the whole truth this side of eternity. Any which claims that it does, however reputable they may seem, is walking on very thin ice.

Luke 21:8 comes to my mind:

'Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, "I am he," and "The time is near." Do not follow them.'
    To me, this means (in the context of this thread) that anyone other than Jesus, claiming to be God's sole mouthpiece, or having exclusive truth should be treated with suspicion - although that won't necessarily mean these people have got it completely wrong either.
  • Pistoff
    Pistoff

As usual, shi**ing one wants to confuse the issue.

The issue raised is: the JW's (I am one) want to regard their theology as the ONLY perfect one; it must be, since they are God's channel, correct? NO one is allowed to seriously question. Oh, they give lip service to ASKING questions, but that is not the same as questioning a doctrine, is it?

But: the witnesses ridicule, downplay, and even demonize other faiths' doctrine, fellowship, leadership and fruits, all without looking in the mirror.

That is the point of jg's post, as I see it.

So how about it, shiny one? Is all belief open to ridicule, like the witnesses ridicule other faiths?

Are you OK with me saying that you believe in an imaginary sky man? Can you prove to me that God exists, let alone that he cares for me?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Rex:Are you here to build up or tear down?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit