Is your computer fan noisy when it gets warm ?

by JH 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Dust is the #1 killer of fan bearings. The power supply, case fan, or CPU fan(s) could all be at risk in a dusty environment. If you have pets or dry skin/scalp it is very likely you haven't been keeping the guts of the machine safe from dust.

If it actually is the temperature in the room, you may have a fan casing that warps out of shape when the CPU temperature increases. I had one that did that. Took forever to fogure it out. Eventually the fan started locking up completely, but it wasn't a bearing issue...except that the bearings were getting pinched by the casing. You could let the thing cool down, take the fan off, boot up and the fan would never have an issue. Put it in place and run it a while and the noise/locking invariably happened.

The path to peace is one of change, grasshopper. Change the fan.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• JH
    JH

It may be a little dusty here....I only clean the place once every few months, and the windows are all opened cause I have no AC, so there is dust everywhere.

But on the other hand, my dad has an identical computer and there is no dust in his environment, and he has the same noise problem.

I think it's the computer's normal sound when it gets warm. If I add more fans to the computer it will cool the computer faster, but the sound of the extra fans will make the noise problem worse.

My only solution seems to be this

• TD
    TD

Noisy fans don't necessarily equal bad fans. For example, I've got a brand new Dell 470 workstation that howls like a banshee when it's working hard. Dell uses a shroud + exhaust fan arrangement for CPU cooling and it's just noisy at full rpm. The only cure for it is to lower the ambient temperature

Surprisingly, adding a second CPU (And another identical fan & shroud) actually decreased the noise level.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have an HP Media Center pc and right out of the box it's been very, very noisy. And when I go into the stores and see the model displayed, they are as silent as a mouse.

I went to the Museum of Computer History once and saw an early '70s computer the size of a small car and to keep it cool, they needed to pump liquid nitrogen thorugh its innards.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's system fun 1 one that does it but for me the temperature has to go up to 30 celsius for it to become noisy. Above that the fun revolutions go over 4000 instead of 2000 at lower temps and you can hear it.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Hang on a little longer, everyone. Soon room-temp superconductors will make this kind of annoyance a distant memory, just as miniaturization allows me more PC power on my desktop than was possessed by the house-sized "supercomputer" that saw the US through the Cold War.

And I don't even need any liquid nitrogen to cool its innards.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

My work computer gets noisier when the weather's hot because the fan speeds up.

My laptop fan goes faster when I'm connected to the internet via modem, especially when I'm downloading, no matter what the room temperature is. Must be because there are more parts to keep cool maybe.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Does anybody know:

Is it true that today's mobile phones have more processing power than all the computers used that first sent man to the Moon?

----------------

JH

How about spraying the fan with WD-40. I'd find out first if this lubricant should be used anywhere near delicate electronics.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Spectrum, WD40 isn't going to quiet anything but squeeking and I wouldn't spray it anywhere near your PC.

ANyway... I was a big "fan" of this thread until I realised it was just a lot of "hot air" which had you all "blown away."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit