Is your computer fan noisy when it gets warm ?

by JH 28 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I bought an even faster and better computer last year, it was a 3.2 GHZ and it was twice as noisy, in January when it was cold out and cool in this room. It was very very fast but the noise was unbearable. I brought it back and got a slower computer so that the sound wouldn't be as loud.

Nothing is broken or dirty.

It just heats up very fast and becomes noisy when its summer time. 9 months a year its ok.

• lost_sheep
    lost_sheep

Howdy JH.
    Most modern processors have a temperature-controlled variable speed fan built into the heatsink to cool them. A lot of power supplies have a variable speed fan too, so you should also look into that. Once the temp hits a certain threshold, it kicks into high gear. From the sound of yours, it could be a serious dust bunny infestation inside your case, or a fan bearing could be on its way out & is being aggravated when the fan speeds up. I would open the case & thoroughly clean out the dust, & then try to pinpoint the noise. There should be one big fan on the processor & most likely one smaller one elsewhere on the motherboard. Also be sure to blow out the power supply & check its fan too. It's a good idea to use a screwdriver or something to stop the fans spinning if you blow them, because too much speed can burn up the bearings as well. Hope this helps!!

lost_sheep

• Theocrat
    Theocrat

Well, JH you can just adjust the temperature at which the fan and alarm respond. When the fan speeds up and makes a lot of noise, it's because the PC has reached the temperature at which it is set to come on.

• TD
    TD

2 Fans in the Power supply

+

1 Fan on the CPU

+

1 Fan on the North Bridge

+

1 Fan on the GPU

+

2 Case Fans

With 7 fans, it's as loud as a damn vacuum cleaner even when the ambient is 75

• JH
    JH

The noise the fan makes is bothersome, but as long as the computer doesn't over heat and doesn't become damaged.

Idon't hear any alarm like you mentionned.

• JH
    JH

Thanks for the responses, but I don't think dust is the problem.

Even when the computer was brand new it would do this if it was too wam in here.

My dad has an identical computer that we bought on the same day at the same place. He has the same sound and problem when its over 75F in his room.

The computer is just 1.5 years old. I think that newer and faster computers have this problem or characteristic...

• TD
    TD

What is the make and model, JH?

Unlike AMD CPU's which will cheerfully roast themselvs, Intel products produced in the last few years will "throttle" the CPU when it starts to overheat. This often shows up as inexplicable screen "Freezes" that last a second or two and increase in frequency as the heat problem intensifies.

Of course, the best way to tell is to read the thermal diode in the CPU itself. If the BIOS doesn't support this feature, there are third party programs for this purpose.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Oh, blow it out your arse JH!

• JH
    JH

In the control panel under "system" I see the following

Intel (R)

Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHZ

3 GHZ

512 MB of Ram

• JH
    JH