As a Dub, did you read the magazines to understand the Bible, or......

by AK - Jeff 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'ady Jeff,

I think I was one of the exceptions!

I knew CO's who could quote Wt texts, page and line, but almost never really used the Bible. Many witnesses would have gladly gone in 'service' having forgotten thier Bible at home - but would never have gone out without literature to place.

I actually did try to learn more of the Bible and since the WT told us that they had all we needed, then I looked through the WT for deepening my knowledge. Consequently I couldn't stand the Awake! - it just sent me to sleep! But the WT would be read from cover to cover - well, almost! I guess, 'cos I didn't appreciate the introductory artcle.

I would never go in service without a Bible.

I guess looking back that all paved the way for me being receptive to learning more of the truth about "The Troof".

Like others who've posted on this thread, it's been post-borg that I've learned so much about the Bible. I often sit and shake my head in amazement at how captive to the husks of the Word we were.

BTW how's it going over your side of the pond? I hop all's well with your family.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I hoped and prayed I wouldnt have to bring out my bible and I could just sick to the presentation "suggestion" the conductor of service group gave us. Actually, I hoped that the farthest I got was "Good morning, I am one of Jehovahs Witnesses and I am in your neighborhood this morning to..." and then they would hopefully shut the door on me and I could go back to the mini van and wait until it was my turn again, sinking in my seat a little hoping the "car captain" would overlook me for a while, counting the minutes until 12:00 when we would head the mini van back to the KH and call it quits and I could possibly salvage a little of what was left of Saturday.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

PLEASE WELCOME MAMA1119 TO THE FORUM!

Everyone please give a warm welcome to my dear friend who has been lurking for some time. We look forward to hearing more from you!!

Love,

Lady Liberty

• Terry
    Terry

I memorized 845 scriptures which I could quote. However, they were floating out of context and quite useless for anything but propping up JW doctrines.

I grew to see the Bible as a huge club for hitting people over the head. Householders have to respect the Bible. So, when you use it to knock down objections you make them defenseless to support their beliefs.

I now view the scriptures as several thousand years of cut and past repair projects by various belief systems fine tuning their pious frauds.

I work in a bookstore and I can attest to the fact that people come to the Religion and Theology section for anything but bibles! They want to own a bible, but, reading it is largely impossible for purposes of understanding much of anything coherent.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yes, I studied them closely and was an avid user of the indexes. Would go over to an aged elder's house in order to look up stuff in '50s and '60s Watchtower and Awake!s.

Of course, I was especially interested in trying to understand the Bible and studied it with lots of different translations, the Aid book (which I read for pleasure), etc.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

G'day back to ya' Ozzie.

Welcome mama1119 to the forum.

Yes, Terry I agree almost to a T with your take on this.

I grew to see the Bible as a huge club for hitting people over the head. Householders have to respect the Bible. So, when you use it to knock down objections you make them defenseless to support their beliefs.

And Leolaia, why would this not surprise me about you?

Of course, I was especially interested in trying to understand the Bible and studied it with lots of different translations, the Aid book (which I read for pleasure), etc.

Did anyone else insist on carrying different translations in the service? I carried the KJV and KIT for years - till I finally understood that no one at the doors cared what we said and that we could not make any defense for anything standing in the cold/heat dressed like an idiot, while we drained the householders house of heat/cool with our foot in the door.

But I always carried a Bible and used it - of course I was using it to teach lies. Sorry I did that.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit