As a Dub, did you read the magazines to understand the Bible, or......

by AK - Jeff 15 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Did you use the Bible to support the magazines?

It was only in the last year or so before I 'saw the light' that it dawned on me. I knew CO's who could quote Wt texts, page and line, but almost never really used the Bible. Many witnesses would have gladly gone in 'service' having forgotten thier Bible at home - but would never have gone out without literature to place.

Thoughts?

Jeff

• serendipity
    serendipity

I did. It's been a long time since I've been in service, but I wouldn't have made a presentation without using the Bible. I also tried to look up the quoted scriptures in the mags and books as well. However, you know how they bombard you with scriptures and it takes a long time to read all of them in the entire context, so I didn't read the context.

• sinamongurl
    sinamongurl

i guess in all honesty it was in support of the magazines even though in my head i was sincere about reading them to understanding the bible....i mean how often did we get counsel to read read read the magazines as if they were more important than the bible anyway

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

S -

I always thought I did too - I always took the Bible along, always quoted a few scriptures at each door. But when I looked back, I realized that I was not using the literature to really understand the Bible - I was always reading the Bible with witness filters on, and then looking for good 'points' to use in the ministry [to sell books].

I would have argued that I was using the Bible - but in retrospect, I was using it just as a 'support structure' for my false beliefs, rather than letting it speak to me. Of course all religions do that to some extent I suppose.

Jeff

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I always used my bible in service. That's where I would tuck my notes on what to say at the door.

BB

• parakeet
    parakeet

As a lazy JW teenager, I avoided reading the WT because I found it too boring for words. I read the Awake only if I saw an article that piqued my interest, usually about animals--Porcupines, Our Prickly Pals, or some similar nonsense. I occasionally read the Bible out of curiosity, never to help me understand the magazines.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I did at first. After a couple of yerars I stopped reading the boring magazines and only highlighted the Study articles so the ex and anyone sitting close would think I was 'spiritually mature'.

By the end of my 14 year in the Watchtower prison, I started reading the Bible.

Within 2 years I had escaped and accepted Jesus as my LORD, Savior, King and mediator instead of the 144,000 (Governing Body).

I liked reading the Bible a whole lot more than being regularly dipped in the Watchtower pool of deceit and lies.

• darcy
    darcy

I read the magazines on the toilet.

While I lightly peruse them for service, I try to do a presentation that's pure scripture and if I'm able not an overly used scripture, and usually place the mag as a side note. 'sides, they only re-re-re-repeat what I already hear five times a week.

• Mary
    Mary

For several years, I would read the bible without the "bible aids" and could see there was something not quite right about their interpretations. I have a love of history, religion and archaeology and the three were not all adding up to the same thing........what bugged me is when they would read Matthew chapter 24 but they ALWAYS skipped over verses 15 -21:

(Matthew 24:15-20) 15
    "Therefore, when YOU catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place, (let the reader use discernment,) 16 then let those in Ju·de´a begin fleeing to the mountains. 17 Let the man on the housetop not come down to take the goods out of his house; 18 and let the man in the field not return to the house to pick up his outer garment. 19 Woe to the pregnant women and those suckling a baby in those days! 20 Keep praying that YOUR flight may not occur in wintertime, nor on the sabbath day. . .

It bothered me even then that they took scriptures out of context to make it say what they wanted it to say. .

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

The (cynical) impression I get now is that the Bible is used only to put a spin on the literature.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit