Were you allowed to take sex education in school, when raised a JW?

by free2beme 24 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I think that most schools have now taken the step of making this a required course. I wonder how the JW's are taking that.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Sex-ed was buried deep with in drivers ed and some social class. Because my parents were just waiting for me to get out of school and start my pioneering days they didn't check to see what was going on. So yes I had it at about age 15, but too late, I had already had sex with my boyfriend, lots of education there. Knew enough not to get pregnant etc. etc.

I can also remember the tampon thing. Really frowned upon by my mother. I was babysitting so could secretly buy them and cigarettes..(another post). What a nightmare the teenage years were as a witness.

It's really funny, in later years I worked in an office that had a Minister of another religion, and he joked about "Preachers kids" when I told him my very abreviated history he just laughed saying I was a typical preachers daughter. He said he totally lays off his own kids because he doesn't want the "Preacher Kid" reaction.

Good God, How did we all survive?

amy

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I insisted my kids went to these classes

• blondie
    blondie

This school district had "health" classes in 8th grade which I missed by moving in the area after. Nothing after that. It was very tame. Later when it was taught in school, I would have gone anyway. I wasn't excused for the discussions re evolution.

I worked on the state program later in life include AIDS education. It was a good program and part of my job was to head off people from withdrawing their children. I encountered only 2 families out of this area and talked them into sending their children.

Blondie

• LDH
    LDH
    Good God, How did we all survive?

Read the Gorilla post, Amy.

We are the strong ones with strong hearts and strong spirits.

That's how we survived.

By the way, your story is fascinating. Welcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit