Have TIME MACHINE, will travel!

by nicolaou 12 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

and
    The Open University
    Buckinghamshire
    England, UK

It has been reported that a small team of physicist and endochronologists have made significant breakthroughs in the oft mailgned field of 'temporal displacement'.

'Time Travel' to the layman!

A technical explanation is presented below in red, if this is of little interest to you just skip it - the point is, time travel is now possible!

The question is, where and WHEN would you go?

Nic'

Pythagoras into Einstein in two easy steps.

So where do we start?
    Well let us start with one of the greatest triumphs of the human mind, the great theorem of Pythagoras, a true pillar of all mathematics and physics. The theorem, which is applicable to right angled triangles in flat Cartesian (Newtonian) space takes the form of:

c^2 = a^2 + b^2

where a, b and c are the lengths of the sides of the triangle.

Next we will jump straight to Einstein's theory of Relativity which states that neither time, length, or indeed mass remain constant additive quantities when approaching the speed of light c. Our simple ideas of time and space come from the fact the we are so used to living in a three dimensional universe. Einstein showed that this was simply not true and in fact all the "foundational" three laws of Newton have to be fudged by the Lorentz factor

L_f = (1 - v^2/c^2)^-1/2

Elementary Guide to Relativity

There are, however, certain quantities that do remain constant. These constants are related to four-dimensional quantities known as metric tensors. From this Einstein proved that space and time are two aspects of the same thing and that matter and energy are also two aspects of the same thing. From the second of these concepts we get the most famous equation in physics

E = mc^2

Now since time and space are aspects of space-time and we wish to travel through time and not build atom bombs we will leave E=mc^2 for the moment. To illustrate this, look at the extension of Pythagorean theorem for the distance, d, between two points in space:

d^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2

where x, y and z are the lengths, or more correctly the difference in the co-ordinates, in each of the three spatial directions. This distance remains constant for fixed displacements of the origin.

In Einstein's relativity the same equation is modified to remain constant with respect to displacement (and rotation), but not with respect to motion. For a moving object, at least one of the lengths from which the distance, d, is calculated is contracted relative to a stationary observer. The equation now becomes:

d^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 (1-v^2/c^2)^1/2

and this implies that the distances all shrink as one moves faster, so does this mean there are no constant distances left in the universe? The answer is that there are because of Einstein's revolutionary concept of space-time where time is distance and distance is time! So now

s^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - ct^2

and this new distance s (remember s stands for Space-time) does indeed remain constant for all who are in relative motion. This distance is said to be a Lorentz transformation invariant and has the same value for all inertial observers. Since the equation mixes time and space up we have to always think in terms of this new concept: space-time!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Acknowledgements and thanks to:

Time Travel Research Center

Contact Information

Mailing Address:
    PO Box 1047
    Smithtown, NY 11787-8547
    UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

E-Mail: General Information: [email protected]

Research Association: [email protected]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dnc - coming soon!

• Bas
    Bas

Yeah investigating you people on sept 11th..in my TIMEMACHINE

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Amazing... they can travel in time but they can only afford a free Yahoo! GeoCities website.

I think their first trip in time should be to the future where they can get some hot stock tips and lotto numbers so they can afford a better web site.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

Physicists are actively working on time travel. I read a couple of years ago that a particle of light, I think, was moved a very short space in time. It will be a very long time and possibly never before people go back and forth in time, but the idea is being seriously considered instead of being laughed at.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

man those researchers could have save a lot of time and money had they bought the time machine that was for sale on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5563490518#ebayphotohosting

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

If time travel was possible we would know right? Think about it if someone in the future invented time travel they would have gone into the past and changed stuff and we would know since that hasn't happened (that we know of) time travel is therefore impossible!

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Well, considering that according to the theory of time travel, you could only travel in to the future, and not the past, I suppose I would have to travel in to the future.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I just wanted to add a bit more because I find the subject very interesting.Time as a measurement has always fascinated me The concept that I have heard involves a vessel that travels at the speed of light. You would have to take this light speed vessel out in to space. In the time that it would take you to reach a certain point in space and come back, it would have only been say one year of aging on your life, however when you returned to earth, twelve years would have past and all your friends and family would be twelve years older. Much like Back to the Future 2, but in a glorified version of the Delorean, time travel would not happen in the blink of an eye. In layman's terms as I understand it.

Time travel is indeed possible, on paper at least. The only minor technicality now, is designing and actually creating a vessle with the capability to travel at light speed for an extended period of time safely with a tangible life aboard. ;)

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Think about it if someone in the future invented time travel they would have gone into the past and changed stuff and we would know since that hasn't happened (that we know of) time travel is therefore impossible!

I cant tell if you are being serious or just being a wise guy.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I cant tell if you are being serious or just being a wise guy.

There was some famous physicist along the lines of Hawking that said he didn't believe time travel in the past was possible because we don't see any evidence of people trying to do it. "Time Tourists" and the like. You'd have to expect that DisneyLand would be selling tickets to the 18th century for $5000 a pop as soon as the chance came along.

I don't buy that we'll see time travel in the form we see it in sci-fi, but it's certainly possible to do it in the sense of changing your time perspective. If I slip into a box for ten minutes and everything around me ages 50 years, that sure looks like time-travel to me. To everyone else, it looks like I disappeared for 50 years. The trick there would be that there's no way to go back.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit