Why some won't leave the Watchtower

by JH 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Theocrat
    Theocrat
    1. Trapped in it because of family, friends, business. Would be too costly in terms of relationships and/or money to leave.

2. Unable to deal with the realities of modern living, some hang on the "promise" of a better world, despite their other doubts.

3. Too puffed up with the artifical status conferred on JWs. With it, they are members of an elite who will survive the coming holocaust and live forever. Without it, they would just be poor, undereducated, working drudges trying to get by.

Absolutely nailed it Parakeet.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

JH,

I guess you can say this about every "Christian" cult! Of course, let time run its course, and I believe many will figure things out. I was once held by such deception. Now I'm free!

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Laziness. Like lying in a big warm bed while the meds. are delivered to you.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

I think it all comes down to one thing. Fear. Fear is the great mind killer and it has been my enemy all my life. What helped to break the Watchtower shackles though, is that I have way to independent of a spirit to have continued on as a slave.

• KW13
    KW13

Some have doubts but are scared incase they are wrong, they are so brainwashed that they feel guilty all the time as though they are the problem. A concept they can't entertain for long, is that the "truth is wrong" it must be me!

• greendawn
    greendawn

For some the WTS is like a social club rather than a religion so they stay in so as to enjoy having a social circle and perhaps also for business reasons. They don't really care about the religious side of things.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

My wife and I developed faith-disturbing doubts around the same time, about 25 years ago. So did some close friends. We were hurt deeply by the bad treatment of some very decent brothers. Those good persons had suffered abuse from elders with power linked to headquarters support. When I spoke to Bethel elders and members of the Service Department, the answer was always something like "Let's wait on Jehovah and see how he works it all out." But the abused were never exonerated and in time some of the abusers were elevated. We started to have doubts about some of the organization's teachings. We spoke cautiously and hesitantly among ourselves for several months. And then something came crashing down like a huge gate from the skies. The organization stepped up its focus on the question, "Where else can you go? No other organization teaches anything near the truths God has revealed through the Society."

For the next ten years, until the day she died, my wife and I suppressed our doubts due to that fear-inducing concept that God has an organization and that the WT Society is that one organization he is using.

For several years I suffered almost daily agony due to losing the best friend I ever had. It didn't help much that I continued to observe abuses and the unwillingness of those in power to deal with them. What DID help was my increased attention to the Bible as a personal letter directed to each believer. I spent an excessive amount of time in personal Bible reading and study. My aim was to build up my own faith and the faith of others in the one organization belonging to God and of which we were a part. My chief references were the Society's publication indexes, and when I couldn't find in the Society's literature an answer to a nagging question, I ventured to use Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible. Years earlier this commentary was recommended to me by a close friend in the Society's Writing Department. To make a long story short, I discovered just too many conflicting differences between the Bible and the teachings of the Society. STILL, and I cannot put in words how deeply this was true: I was ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED at the thought of possibly making a mistake and not knowing what “organization” to turn to just in case I did get up enough courage to leave.

It is now more than ten years since I left JWs after being a member for 50 years and since I left Bethel after being there 40 years. I found true freedom, and I fully did "leave" the WT Society once and for all when I became free of the unscriptural notion that God has entrusted an organization to speak for him to his people and to the world.

By the way, some former friends who expressed their doubts 25 years ago, far more strongly than my wife or I ever did, have remained as JWs all this time, still in bondage to the false teaching that God is using the WT Society as his one and only organization.

• KW13
    KW13

i dunno what to say to you fjtoth, but a sad story mate.

• DHL
    DHL

I guess the brain is just like any other muscle. If you don't work out you become lame. Some gave up thinking too long ago so they have no brain muscle tissue left over.

• dozy
    dozy
    Why some won't leave the Watchtower........

In no particular order...

1... Inertia

2... Attitudes , lies and lifestyles of apostates / ex-witnesses

3... Lack of any viable , sensible & realistic alternative form of "Christian" worship that matches the biblical pattern.

4... Possibility (though faint) that JWs might be right after all. (Say there is a 10% probability that this is the true religion - what is P10 of everlasting life with perfect health in a paradise earth? Or P1? P1 of infinity is infinity. People buy a lottery ticket on a 1 in 13 million chance.)

5... Family ties

6... Business interests and contacts

7... Purpose and fulfillment through WTS activities (eg Quick builds , organising & preparing meeting parts etc)

8... Social ties - football after the group , BBQs at the weekend , coffee and doughnuts after Saturday ministry.

9.. All those sexy babes / guys at assemblies (delete as appropriate - age & marital status dependant). (Where do they go for the rest of the year? When I was a single guy , I used to literally walk around with my tongue hanging out.)

10... Access to free janitorial supplies from place of employment (hey - I made that one up).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit