Why some won't leave the Watchtower

by JH 19 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Name as many reasons as you can why some won't leave the Watchtower Organization, even though they know something is wrong.

• parakeet
    parakeet

1. Trapped in it because of family, friends, business. Would be too costly in terms of relationships and/or money to leave.

2. Unable to deal with the realities of modern living, some hang on the "promise" of a better world, despite their other doubts.

3. Too puffed up with the artifical status conferred on JWs. With it, they are members of an elite who will survive the coming holocaust and live forever. Without it, they would just be poor, undereducated, working drudges trying to get by.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Define leave.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Guilt and fear.

• serendipity
    serendipity

"Where would I go?"

• moanzy
    moanzy

Can't get past the excuse of using "the governing body are imperfect men" , but fail to use that on the regular people like us even when they are family.

Moanzy

• garybuss
    garybuss

It's one of my favorite topics and one I've studied every which way. For people like my wife and my dad, it has nothing to do with "right" or "truth". I refuted every single doctrine or reduced them to the ridiculous for my wife and she still got in the car and went.

My dad told me he doesn't care if they are "right" or not, he likes being a Witness. He likes the regimen of meetings and service and he likes being told what to believe and what to do.

The inverse was my reason for not being a Witness. I hated being a Witness and I like to think for myself. It DID bother me when the predictions promised in my lifetime failed. I held the Society to it's own standards and they failed.

• nsrn
    nsrn

"BUT WHAT IF THEY ARE RIGHT?????"

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Nsrn they have never been right. They prophecied over and over. For my Mom it was 1914-1918-1925-

suggested 1942 then she died. For me it was 1975 and many other publications saying (any day now).

Today it is ( armageddon is imminent ).

If they have never been right, they must be wrong. Also very dangerous, since we prepare for our life and our children and especially our later years in life based upon our beliefs.

They ruined my mothers life and the life of my syblings.

I will not let them ruin mine or my children.

Outoftheorg

• Highlander
    Highlander

"BUT WHAT IF THEY ARE RIGHT?????" Didn't you hear? It's the mormons who are right! At least that's what I learned on SouthPark.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit