Prince, Sheila E. & Associates

by kojo 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• kojo
    kojo

I saw the Summer concert series this morning on Good Morning America with Prince, Sheila E. ,Tamar, etc. and wondered what must go on behind the scenes. I know Prince is not much of a talker so I'm not sure if he even has much conversation with the musicians that work with him or not, but I know Sheila E. is involved in evangelical Christian ministries, his past sidekicks Chaka Khan, and Doug E. Fresh are Scientologists, not sure of Tamar's currents beliefs but know she sang backup for Christian Gospel singer Yolanda Adams. I was wondering if they ever get into debates or butt heads on beliefs or people just want to work with him so bad and respect him musically that they keep their mouth shut about his JW beliefs. I know Sheila E. almost always wears a cross necklace but didnt see it on the last two times she performed with him and wondered if that was his doing.

Anyone ever hear of someone confronting Prince or discussing beliefs with him? He seems like someone who would cut someone off and isolate himself from anyone who dared disagree with him or his new mentor/elder Larry Graham.

• jaime
    jaime

the dude is like 48 years old, I wonder if he ever plays " The Cross" off Sign o the times anymore... "Black day, stormy night No love, no hope in sight Don't cry, he is coming Don't die without knowing the cross Ghettos 2 the left of us Flowers 2 the right There'll be bread 4 all of us If we can just bear the cross Sweet song of salvation A pregnant mother sings She lives in starvation Her children need all that she brings We all have our problems Some BIG, some are small Soon all of our problems Will be taken by the cross Black day, stormy night No love, no hope in sight Don't cry 4 he is coming Don't die without knowing the cross Ghettos 2 the left of us Flowers 2 the right There'll be bread 4 all, y'all If we can just, just bear the cross, yeah We all have our problems Some are BIG, some are small Soon all of our problems, y'all Will be taken by the cross" I love his music, but first of all, "he is coming"? - I thought he came 12 years before you wrote this song, but then again, "The Torture Stake" seems a little too evil a song title for the purple one. whatever - he lost it a long time ago. " i wish u heaven" is a great tune though....

• kojo
    kojo

Yes, his old song "The Cross" he changes to "The Christ" when he sings it in concert. Last time I saw him sing it in concert he had a big movie screen with the word stauros on it saying "a stake or pole". That was over 7 yrs ago when Larry snatched him up as his "trophy" convert to the Witnesses. Many have thought because of things he's done or places he has been or from lyrics and songs he's sung recently that he has left or changed his views but it never seems to be the case. He's still hanging with Larry and still has Watchtower propaganda on his website. He has a song on his new album called the "The Word" where he talks about "hearing the new exultation... dontcha want to go get saved?" which confused me because I didnt know Witnesses used the word "saved" in their vocabulary ,only born-again/evangelical Christians.

• jaime
    jaime

WTF is wrong with him? is he even recognized by the WTBTS as a witless? after all his label shenanigans, i.e. - wanted out of Warner Bros., he refused to release new music, changed his name to a symbol, and drew the word "slave" on his face - this is either a precursor to his insanity, or he just didn't have room on his chisled cheek to fit to words "faithful and discreet" - he's a douche, but I still like his music.

• kojo
    kojo

Most of those things he did long before he became a Witness. He was raised in a Seventh-Day Adventist belief and has espoused everything from veganism to reincarnation. The Witnesses on his fansites are constantly defending his actions. When people question things he does or says as being acceptable to JW teachings and elders on certain message boards , the JW's rally to his defense and say this proves JW's are hip and cool and know how to have fun too. But he also brings lots of $$ and publicity to the organization,so I'm sure his flashy dressing,accepting of awards, and sexually suggestive lyrics (though toned down) and sexy dancers are overlooked when a "common" JW would be disfellowshipped over such things.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I wonder how many JW's were in the audience idolizing him this morning. I saw it too...my family HATES the fact he's a JW!

• kojo
    kojo

If anything , Prince is a great character study, a man of paradoxes. He recently performed on American Idol while at the same time posted the Scripture on his website about "fleeing from idolatry". He basically showed up, performed and left. They say he talked to no one there.

I was never a practicing JW but I went to a legalistic church that taught that music was only to be used to worship God and all secular music was worldly and wrong. I find it strange that JW's believe almost the opposite,that it's ok to use music or musical instruments in entertainment but not in worship.

• magoo
    magoo

..............................humm......................i wonder if the "asleep & wactower" mags encourage the "flock" to listen to prince as "up building, christian" music? i, being "out" for a long....long...long time was always discouraged from listening to anything but " good kingdom melodies"

magoo

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I just hope that he finds out the truth about "The Truth". He seems to be a person that is able to change his views on religion and such frequently. I think that he changes his religions just as frequently as he changes his women.

• kristyann
    kristyann

Someone said earlier that Prince is "not much of a talker." No kidding! He is probably one of the rudest people I can imagine. When all of the famous performers and stuff were performing on the American Idol finale, they would usually all stand around and wave to the fans and shake hands with Ryan Seacrest and put their arm around him while he did the fade to commercial... but Prince NEVER does stuff like that. As soon as his last song is over, he immediately turns around and walks right off the stage. It's so stupid that it's almost funny. He just promptly leaves. It's like he thinks that he did his song and now he doesn't want to stay around any longer cause that's just too boring for him. He did that on the GMA concert series thing, too, and he does it all of the time!

I don't think any JWs REALLY consider him to be a JW except maybe a select few... most would probably be horrified by him, and I am sure plenty don't even know who he is or that he associates himself with the Watchtower. And he's always espousing a million different things, he's confused as anything and doesn't know what he believes, either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit