MEALS on "HEELS"

by Terry 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anitar
    Anitar

Thanks again Terry, I hope I wasn't rude. In fact, I've got an example for you. Yesterday, I was reading in a local Catholic bulletin about the president of the Council of Inter-faith Relations at the Vatican, who said that if the Church of England were to ordain women as bishops, then the Catholic Church would sever inter-faith relations with them.

I stopped and said to my dad "Wait a minute. That seems a little too harsh. It's one thing to deny women to be priests in their own religion, but to ridicule and ignore a Protestant bishop just because she's a woman is just plain prejudice. They have no right to regulate what goes on in other religions." Then my dad said, "that's just one guy talking, he is not the Pope, and he does not speak for all Catholics. However, if a Protestant were to hear this, or even a woman for that matter, they would think we all think this way. Every organization has its form of politics, no matter who they are." Then I said to him,

"At least we have the freedom to disagree with this guy, so did a few others in the bulletin. Think about it, if you're a Catholic priest, living in America, and a female Protestant bishop was standing in the same room as you, would you refuse to talk to her simply because some old coot in Italy told you not too? Of course not!"

So there you have it Terry. We didn't like something in our own organization and we weren't afraid to say it. The point is, God comes first to me, simce I have a personal relationship with Jesus. Yes, I belong to an organization to which I have been baptized, and I believe in its principles, but I certainly don't agree with everything my leaders say. In fact, in my church, the staff told me that if I believed and obeyed ALL the rules ALL of the time, then there would be something seriously wrong with me!

Anitar

• Terry
    Terry

A wonderful book I just finished reading is MISQUOTING JESUS by Bart Ehrman who is a scholar and expert on early church documents and history.

In the book he describes in delicious and excruciating detail how transmission of bible text has been tampered with throughout the copying process. One of the excellent examples he cites is the political insertion by copyists of anti-female scriptures.

These are the very ones used today to keep women "in their place".

It is disgusting.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    No one has ever been threatened with DFing for being "inactive" in field service.

I was! I wasn't df'ed but I was told that I would be Disassociating myself! All privileges were taken away (like I cared at that point) and I was told "If your not out in service then your not a 'witness' are you? Your basically disassociating yourself!"

I was also STRONGLY discouraged from doing river clean-ups and enviromental stuff comments from the elders like "Don't worry about that Jehovah will take care of it in his own time."

Makes me so mad I could punch the lot of them dead in the face!

• Anitar
    Anitar

Thanks for the tip Terry. Can we buy this book on Free Minds? What scriptures does he mention? Are they key

scriptures the WTS uses about women, the FDS and the divinity of Jesus? I was just curious...

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Terry you are always "SPOT ON".Thanks again, I'm reading 'Misquoting Jesus' and adding another domino to the rest of my domino collection. The pips on the dominoes are fading, they are all blank now. The domino effect is getting stronger as I collect more dominoes such as this book to my collection.

Blueblades ( you are clever, how about doing an essay on the domino effect, concerning the Watchtower.)

• Terry
    Terry
    Thanks for the tip Terry. Can we buy this book on Free Minds? What scriptures does he mention? Are they key

You can buy this book on Amazon.com

Of the many examples Bart Ehrman gives the ones about women and Jesus' divinity stood out in my mind. The changes wrought by copyists follow a pattern of time/place when it became necessary to refute critics. Only by dishonest acts of substituions could they be "answered".

It is an eye-opening book!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit