Jesus: What is he?

by jstalin 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• myelaine
    myelaine

first of all I can't understand how Jesus can be an archangel if He was made lower than the angels.

and if He was made lower than the angels then He must have had no choice or He chose to be made that way.

or both...

If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself. (2 Tim2:13)

We know that the angels and the people all have freewill to deny Him...

right?

love michelle

• myelaine
    myelaine

God is not a man that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

Numbers 23:19

Amen!

• Terry
    Terry

The early Christians (the one's who got up at sunrise) argued about this. They split into factions. Nobody agreed. The copyists who copied scriptures added or deleted references which would support their favorite view.

Councils met to legislate the "correct" view and the Roman emperor stood ready to enforce the opinion.

But, even Constantine couldn't keep his opinion straight. He went back and forth. He would exile one proponent and then the other.

The Church itself was split into the Greek Orthodoxy and the Western Roman Catholic orthodoxy mostly over just such questions as the nature of Jesus.

Facts:

1.You can't form an opinion based on scripture alone because they were fudged.

2.You can't rely on the church fathers because they didn't agree with each other.

3.Without some ostensible data to base a belief on you are free to make up your own theory just like everybody else.

Let us face it; doctrines are a defense mechanism against the other guy's ideas which don't appeal to you.

• myelaine
    myelaine

yeah, we don't want to follow "doctrines of man", do we Ayn?... I mean Terry

love michelle

• moanzy
    moanzy

I think no matter how you look at things we are screwed. If Jesus is not God than we shouldn't worship him thus we would be idolizing---only worship God.

If he is God and we don't worship him than we are not giving him his due. With using just the bible we don't seem to have and absolute undisputeable arguement for either.

So what to do.......

Moanzy

• under_believer
    under_believer

Further Reading: docetism.

• Adonais Child
    Adonais Child

The Jews understood what He was claiming, and rightfully so...

John 10:27-33

27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28And I give to them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30I and my Father are one. 31Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32Jesus answered them, Many good works have I showed you from my Father; for which of those works do you stone me? 33The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone you not; but for blasphemy; and because that you, being a man, make yourself God.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Hi Jstalin,

You said:

What is Jesus? I went to one memorial and he was described as the "perfect man," like Adam. However, JWs don't believe in a soul, so when Jesus died, what happened to him? He was resurrected, and currently resides as the King of Heaven, yet, what form does he take? Is he still a human, or is he some sort of soul being? Can anyone help me out?

I was a witness for 26 years and went for the WT's def..Here are my new ideas..

1. Jesus was God's first born, creation, spirit creature.

2. God made a child with genes, egg of Mary, sperm of Joseph. An child in the fallen flesh.

3. The spirit (with personality) was put in the baby Jesus...

4. Then his spirit (with personality) went back to heaven

5. As of now his spirit (with personality) has been put in another imperfect man, in the fallen flesh, who is getting ready to take over rulership of the world..

• Terry
    Terry

In the Roman empire it was common to adopt a fully grown person as your heir, especially if you were an Emperor with no children of your own.

God was viewed as doing this at Jesus' baptism. It was the first and only time in history god was said to have done this.

He selected him, approved of him and adopted him. God was well pleased with the character of Jesus.

The Gospel of John uses the phrase: The unique Son of God which is mistranslated "only begotten son".

In Greek "unique" means "one of a kind".

Hence:Jesus was the only son adopted by God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit