I find this JW behaviour disrespectful

by Bumble Bee 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

This is an interesting thread...

Whenever I visit my aunt - who is 96 yrs old, she always prays at mealtime. I do not pray anymore - haven't for many many years. But, out of respect, I will bow my head and remain silent as she says her prayer.

She will try - from time to time - and ask ME to say the prayer. I decline - as I have told her in the past that I do not do that anymore.

She will politely smile, and say her prayer. (Although, I have jokingly told my girlfriend that someday I may accept and say the only prayer I remember... "Over the lips, and through the gums... look out stomach, here it comes. Amen.")

On occassion, there will be a lot of relatives gather together at her home for a meal. Everyone there comes from different faiths (we're not talking JWs here). Mormons, pentecostal, etc. During the prayers (usually said by my cousin's husband - who are mormons), everyone bows their heads respectfully.

I feel that it is a 'manners' thing.

Yes, when I was a JW - I remember those who would not bow their heads at prayers given by 'heathens'. JWs obviously never learned manners.

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. These are my observations. Yours may vary.

• grissom6471
    grissom6471

Scully,

If you are an atheist, what are you doing here? This

is a site for Jehovah's Witnesses, not faithless ones.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I always said amen with any prayer I agreed with. Were JWs not supposed to do that? (<-- sorry to sound clueless, but I missed the whole "No mediator" thing, too.)

I never figured I had any place determining which prayers God does and does not hear, that was supposed to be someone else's job. So long as I agreed with it, I said so.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

grissom6471:

is a site for Jehovah's Witnesses, not faithless ones.

You're mistaken. This is not a Kingdom Hall. As it says at the top of the page, everyone is welcome here.

So, welcome

I don't see it as disrespectful not to participate in religious activity. As long as one is quiet and unobtrusive, that is a personal choice. As an atheist, I have attended church ceremonies, and my personal line is that I will stand and sit as appropriate, but I will not kneel. I will not pray or sing songs of praise to a god I don't believe in, and despite the occasional awkwardness I will not receive communion that I do not respect and am not entitled to.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derek: As with Undercover, I think your actions are respectful and would have no quarrel with them. It seems to me that you've gone an extra mile. Grissom:
    You have an unusual manner of displaying your "faith". Are you sure you have some? Nonetheless, welcome. Stick around and learn a few things, like genuine compassion

• gumby
    gumby
    Post 17 of 17
    since 16-Dec-05

Scully,

is a site for Jehovah's Witnesses, not faithless ones

Grissom.....you've been here 6 months and you STILL think this is an exclusive JW site? Wake up.

Gumby

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

No he knows what this site is about. Just stirring the pot instead of having the courage to actually stand up for his "beliefs".

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"This is a site for Jehovah's Witnesses, not faithless ones."

(I know I'll probably regret even acknowledging this individual...)

If you re-read the title at the top, it says...

"Jehovahs-Witness Discussion forum"

Since when do you need to be a Jehovah's Witness to discuss Jehovah's witnesses?

Regards,

Jim TX

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    someone who claims to be a Christian, hearing a Christian prayer, you've gotta wonder, huh?

I have absolutly no problem with those that do not pray anymore not wanting to participate. But that certainly is not the case with my mother and sister, active JW's. I like the way Little Toe said it quoted above. If it was a JW that said the prayer there would have been no problem.

The problem is that JW's believe that theirs are the only prayers heard, and even then you have to be a JW in good standing to have your prayers heard. I don't have access to a WT CD but I know there was an article on this point several years ago.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit