I find this JW behaviour disrespectful

by Bumble Bee 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

On Saturday I was at a cousin's wedding. Neither bride or groom was JW, although her mother (my aunt) was JW but was DF'd for smoking way back in the early '70's and I doubt the bride (my cousin) remembers anything anymore.

Her older brother said a prayer before the dinner. It was a very beautiful prayer IMHO, and maybe he remembers a bit more of the JW experience, it started and ended like what you'd hear in a KH, but the middle was actually said from the heart and filled with love for the new couple and our family and the friends present.

I bowed my head and said Amen afterwards. I peeked across the table and saw that my mother and sister had thier heads up and did not say Amen. They could have atleast bowed their heads and said their own prayer for the couple. I thought it very disrespectful.

I know they've done this before at several other family occasions when a prayer was offered.

I think if the situation was reversed they'd be upset over this type of behaviour. It's happened when a family member didn't want to attend a funeral at a KH and they were disgusted, but my mom and sister refused to go to the church for the wedding. They only see their side/point of view, and feel their position is so superior.

BB

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i've seen it too..

my parents always taught us kids to bow our heads respectfully, just not say amen aloud.

my dad would always nod at the end of a non jw prayer. dunno why lol.. i just remembered that.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When I was a JW I behaved just as badly many times.

On the other hand, there were many occasions when I was a JW when I didn't say "Amen" to prayers given by JWs at the hall or BS because I didn't always agree with the content of the prayers.

W

• greendawn
    greendawn

I remember as a dub I did that also a few times and felt embarassed afterwards, I remember how they frighten them about participating with other religions which are satanic.

It's a sick isolationist mentality, I wouldn't participate in satanic rituals and prayers but these are Christian religions. It's the JWs that are a satanic religion or rather cult.

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I've seen this before too. At a cousin's wedding(non-JW) when the preacher was praying none of my JW relatives bowed their heads or anything....but funny part was..at the reception they were the first ones out on the floor shaking they butts...

• Gill
    Gill

Personally, (and my parents are the only relatives who have anything to do with us now) but I find it impossible to bow my head when they say a prayer to the war God Jehovah. I just cannot do it. They are praying to someone who they anticipate will wipe out 6 billion men women and children.

Though I agree that the JW attitude to other religions prayers is disrespectful, I still find, I have to have the same 'stand back' stance when it comes to their prayers to Jehovah.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

As a dubs we were forced to bow our heads at restaurants etc, for years. Most of it for show, and because the big shots who took the lead did it, so we had to, or, they'd say "hey you didn't say a prayer", sorta like being in kindergarten. It's ones prerogative IMO. If they don't want to bow, so be it.

Plus sometimes one just might not want to say grace/a prayer for many reasons, just because everyone else is doing it.

Dismembered

• juni
    juni

When I was a JW I behaved just as badly many times.

On the other hand, there were many occasions when I was a JW when I didn't say "Amen" to prayers given by JWs at the hall or BS because I didn't always agree with the content of the prayers.

W

You took the words out of my mouth, W. Even the part about not saying "Amen" to prayers I didn't agree with said by a JW.

Sounds to me, BB, like your mom and sister even though DF (your mom) still have JW blood running through their veins.

Juni

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

candidilynuts

my dad would always nod at the end of a non jw prayer. dunno why lol.. i just remembered that.

That sounds like a cute thing he did. Atleast he was acknowledging the prayer in his own way.

Finally Free

This was my situation when I was at the end of my tenure attending the KH. I found it very hard to say "Amen" and would often say my own silent prayers.

greendawn

I remember as a dub I did that also a few times and felt embarassed afterwards, I remember how they frighten them about participating with other religions which are satanic.

It's a sick isolationist mentality,

Yes, fear is a factor. In this instance I don't think that was the case though. It was just that the prayer was said by a non-JW.

Sweetp0985

I've seen this before too. At a cousin's wedding(non-JW) when the preacher was praying none of my JW relatives bowed their heads or anything....but funny part was..at the reception they were the first ones out on the floor shaking they butts...
    Yep, that is usually the case. I'm surprised your JW relatives went to the service, usually that is a no-no if it's held in a church. Gill

Personally, (and my parents are the only relatives who have anything to do with us now) but I find it impossible to bow my head when they say a prayer to the war God Jehovah. I just cannot do it. They are praying to someone who they anticipate will wipe out 6 billion men women and children.

Though I agree that the JW attitude to other religions prayers is disrespectful, I still find, I have to have the same 'stand back' stance when it comes to their prayers to Jehovah.

I can understnand where you are coming from. But this prayer was a sincerely heartfelt loving prayer regarding a much loved sister and her new husband, our family and the special friends gathered there for the wedding. Maybe they couldn't acknowledge it because he didn't use the name "Jehovah"? I don't know. The prayer started pretty much the same way they start in the KH - only he said "Father" instead. Closed the prayer "in Jesus name, Amen". They could have said their own prayer at the same time, that is what I was told to do back when they still said the Lord's Prayer in school. We were to be respectful. The thing that bothers me is all our non-JW relatives are expected to come to the KH whenever there is a wedding or funeral, participate etc, and if they don't are talked about and ridiculed for not wanting to come to the KH. (This has happened with Pentacostal relatives.) But, when it is the JW families turn to do those same things they refuse to enter a church. BB
  • Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

If your family members were Atheists would you be this upset?

I am not nor have I ever been a JW. I am married to one who is fading. My husband has given me all kinds of scriptures about prayer. I am having sort of a religious crisis about do I believe in God or not...its very disconcerting to me to feel as though I don't believe in God because I always have.

I have stopped praying and participating in prayer. My son goes to a Christian school and there was a function where there was prayer before and after. I was quiet, I kept my eyes open but looked down in my lap, I noticed someone else looking at me....big deal...It's my choice if I do or don't care to participate. I did the same thing when I went to the KH with my husband.

I suppose I am just as rude as your mother.

Seriously though, don't you have any bigger problems than worrying about your mother not participating in prayer?

Keep your own side of the street clean and watch how you behave.

Just my humble opinion,

Chrystal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit