• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Shazard:

It is like asking - is reality real?

No it isn't. It's more like asking: "Is Krishna real?"

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

What an obscure question.

Why would someone be a Christian (even nominally) if they didn't believe Jesus to be real?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

FD,

I think Shazard was answering from his perspective. Who are you to tell him what his perspective isn't like? Not challenging you, just reminding you of upshot of your comments on the other thread.

I didn't realize you were a Christian. I am, frankly, very surprised by that. Or perhaps you didn't see from the subject that many people in this thread would be speaking from the perspective of a Christian. The subject line says, "For the Christians on this board" so I don't really see how you could logically claim confusion about the perspectives you would find in here.

I would add, anyone who brings a different perspective into this thread would be going off topic. Wildly off topic. In my opinion, any ridicule dropped in this thread will automatically grant me the right to ridicule the ridiculer, their perspective will have no longer have any ethical basis for an expectation of tolerance.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• PointBlank
    PointBlank

Yes, absolutely. I've always believed him to be real. Being blessed as the audience of his presence provided the proof (read 'personal encounter'). Receiving the abiding indwelling residence of both the Father and the Son by means of the Holy Spirit supplies the fuel of absolute fulfillment. So, not only is he real, he is, in fact, reality itself.

PB

• lost_sheep
    lost_sheep

I've been raised a dub, so i've always felt God & Jesus were real, even when they seemed distant. But after finding out so many things about the org. & really studying the Bible & examining my beliefs, i've found that their presence in my life has become much more profound. I pray so much more these days. My wife has noticed a change in me too. It's so liberating when you finally realize you don't need a man-made organization to dictate (& in their case, mediate) your relationship with God. So yes, i would say Jesus is very real to me. Good thread, Honesty.

lost_sheep

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Without a shadow of a doubt!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

AuldSoul:

I think Shazard was answering from his perspective.

Of course he was. How could it be otherwise?

Who are you to tell him what his perspective isn't like? Not challenging you, just reminding you of upshot of your comments on the other thread.

See my later comments. In my opinion, Shazard made a category error in his thinking. Asking whether Jesus is real is simply not at all like asking whether reality is real. Whether reality is real or not is a deep and fundamental question of philosophy, on which all other questions of philosophy must rest. Whether Jesus is real is a question about the existence of a particular entity within an already-established frame of reality. I used Krishna as a comparison, because he is also a deity who allegedly lived on earth for a while, but it could even be argued that it's more like the question of whether George Bush is real. The answer might be very different but the nature of the question is at least closer.

I didn't realize you were a Christian. I am, frankly, very surprised by that. Or perhaps you didn't see from the subject that many people in this thread would be speaking from the perspective of a Christian. The subject line says, "For the Christians on this board" so I don't really see how you could logically claim confusion about the perspectives you would find in here.

I'm not a Christian, unsurprisingly, and because this thread was directed towards Christians I offered no opinion on whether Jesus is real or not. I just corrected what I saw as a basic error in thinking.

I would add, anyone who brings a different perspective into this thread would be going off topic. Wildly off topic. In my opinion, any ridicule dropped in this thread will automatically grant me the right to ridicule the ridiculer, their perspective will have no longer have any ethical basis for an expectation of tolerance.

I can tolerate that opinion.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Why would someone be a Christian (even nominally) if they didn't believe Jesus to be real? LT

Dunno. That's why I asked.

I know some who say they know He is real but not "up close and personal real." Others say, "He's more real to me than He was to His followers when He was in the flesh."

• acadian
    acadian

Well if he's not real, the principles/truths he taught are. I'm not a christian, but believe there's a God and there was a man we call Jesus.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Yes - real to me as a Christian.

I have some remaining 'doctrinal issues' yet, having left the Jw's after a lifetime, that leave me a bit unsettled about his nature [part of the Godhead, or not - etc.]. I have not actively worked to resolve these as of the moment. Don't know if I will or not.

Sometimes when praying I wonder if I am praying to Jesus or the Father, or both at once.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit