Correlation between personality types and religio-spiritual leanings?

by daystar 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

Someone in a completely different segment of associates from you old ex-JWs here posed this wish:

I've often wished someone would do a study to see if there is a real correlation between personality type and religious/spiritual leanings.

I've long noticed that in fantasy subcultures and "new" religions, as well as those that attract many adult converts (and have trouble retaining people born into the faith), the same types keep showing up. They tend to have similar psychological, social and even physical traits.

Is anyone here familiar with such a study, or perhaps has anyone here performed such a study themselves? I think this certainly pertains to the JWs, no?

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll
    I've long noticed that in fantasy subcultures and "new" religions, as well as those that attract many adult converts (and have trouble retaining people born into the faith), the same types keep showing up. They tend to have similar psychological, social and even physical traits.

I don't know about Religious cults (Only having been in one myself) but those fantasy subcultures tend to attract a certain type. Do some googling on Star Trek conventions they really do attract the geeky types that live at home with mummy and that have never kissed a girl.

• daystar
    daystar

Yeah, the initial discussion was related to people at UC Berkley playing the Vampire: Masquerade LARP.

I've been involved with both a LARP (not that one) and a cult.

• sinamongurl
    sinamongurl

i havent personally done any studies myself....but i tend to think that jws attract or are full of certain personality or emotional type that are drawn to them......ex: ppl who are in denial....LOL

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Ah the LA (NonRP) vampire scene, now that is WEIRD. Over here we get a few Marylin Manson lookie likees and occasional the goth with false fangs but nothing in the LA league where they have permanent dental work and occasionally drink real blood.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

I think Dubs tend to attract the conservative minded outsiders. They see their little worlds going to the dogs and grasp onto a promise of decency, of a world where everyone wears nice clothes, has a Nice haircut and doesn't partake in "deviant" sex. I think they have a very juvenile immature view of the world. One where "daddy" will look after them, keep them safe from the nasty things and make everything happy and nice again.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Interesting coment Dr Jekyll. Some types though do seem more adept at understanding the real world and juggling career ambitions with spiritual goals, other people it seems to create internal conflict within them, while others, like you say are stunted in some way. I don't think you will find direct co-relations with personality types because of the various shades of grey.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi daystar,

I ran across something when doing research on the Myers-Briggs typing (MBTI). I don't have the link saved, but I'll see if I can find it again.

There are certain types that are less religious/spiritual than others.

• sinamongurl
    sinamongurl
    There are certain types that are less religious/spiritual than others

would u post it here....i am interested also, ty

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

Don't know if this helps you or not daystar. I was doing some research on my family heritage a few years back. I come from a long line of visionaries (sp?) from Russia who immigrated here in the early 1900's. They felt they were the ones who were to be changed in the twinkling of an eye to reign with Christ upon death. So they firmly believe that keeping within the 'pure' group would assure their reward. Not unlike the witnesses, excepting that family, a simple lifestyle, and keeping the blood lines pure would be necessary. "We were the chosen ones".

During my research, and out of curiosity, I contacted a Priest of the Russian Orthodox Church to find out if there was any written information about this group in his libraries. There is, and they were a sect, not so much unlike the witnesses, that broke off from the orthodoxy. The interesting comment he made to me during our conversation concerning my concern over my folks becoming witnesses was " Well, the personality of those who are (of the group I was born into) are of the same personality type as those who are attracted to groups or religeous sects like the JW's. It takes a certain type of individual to belong to them and live that lifestyle."
    Well, I'm not particularly proud of that but his comment did give me some insight. I feel he was very correct. This gave me much to think about and to be more observant of people. I see they are needy of direction and stucture in their lives.
    Fortunately, my personality is abberant of that group or type of individual.

hope

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit