Introduce Independent Thinking by Family Bible Study

by jgnat 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Jgnat, you're a gem. I really think any "family Bible study" that relies on Scripture (even the NWT) and focuses on Christian living (as opposed to end-times prophecy and OT punishment) will eventually lead away from the JW theology. As Blondie's pointed out in so many of her wonderful "Comments you won't hear..." posts, the JW literature dwells on OT law rather than NT charity (and I mean that in the sense of "caritas," unselfish giving). Jankyn

• jgnat
    jgnat

Also, for consideration, the inductive bible study method.

http://www.path-light.com/inductive.htm

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Jgnat! Thanks for the info and links. In the voice of Robert Denero," Your good, oh yes you are". Your good.

Blueblades

• Terry
    Terry
    Clarity, Accuracy, Precision, Relevance, Depth, Breadth, Logic, Significance, and Fairness.

When thinking something through on your own, you can ask yourself some of these sample questions to make sure you have considered all angles. In a bible study, you can modify the questions to help your family think.

Clarity - Could you elaborate? Could you give me an example? Could you illustrate what you mean?

Accuracy - How could we check on that? How could we find out if that is true? How could we verify or test that?

Precision - Could you be more specific? Could you give me more details? Could you be more exact?

Relevance - How does that relate to the problem? How does that bear on the question? How does that help us with the issue?

Depth - What factors make this a difficult problem? What are some of the complexities of the question? What are some of the difficulties we need to deal with?

Breadth - Do we need to look at this form another perspective? Do we need to consider another point of view? Do we need to look at this in other ways?

Logic - Does all this make sense together? Does your first sentence fit in with your last? Does what you say follow from the evidence?

Significance - Is this the most important problem to consider? Is this the central idea to focus on? Which of these facts is most important?

Fairness - Do I have any vested interest in this issue? Am I sympathetically representing the viewpoints of others?

I live for this stuff!!

• Fleur
    Fleur

Just a small piece of advice...be careful if you choose to try this though or it could actually backfire.

My siblings and I had lots of issues with the WTS but we believed firmly that it was the truth. I can see now that my Dad tried to do this with us at several points when we did have a family study (It wasn't a regular thing because my mother would stop it when he went 'off course' with the material. But his points were too on the mark and made us all squirm, and the looks from Mom at him would've vaporized him on the spot if it were possible to make someone vanish with a thought.

It mobilized the rest of the family against him and closer to the org. I finally got out later but they still have the rest of the family trapped. It delayed me for years, him bringing the ideas to me when I was already a confused teenager lacking guidance. I remember once actually going to my Dad with my bible and trying to explain why he had mistaken ideas. I couldn't explain away his solid reasoning though and it bothered me to the core. I was devestated thinking that he didn't trust Jehovah and that being the case, I couldn't trust him (I already had trust issues with him from childhood.) I went to the elders after that conversation, I was 17, and said that I was afraid my dad had apostate views, what could I do to help him? They told me they were aware of his attitude and because he didn't attend meetings that they wouldn't talk to him or do anything. They said that I should not discuss spiritual things with him anymore, and I went to meetings on my own after that for a very long time, determined that I had to stay closer to the org. because there was a bad influence in the house.

Funny I don't think about that often. I wasn't angry or snotty to him at all I was genuinely terrified for his salvation.

My dad is still technically in the org; he's inactive now but still believe's Jah's day is coming. Don't get him started on the GB though....his views and mine are the same on quite a few points. He has no issue, really, with me leaving the cult except fear that I might die when Armageddon comes. Though his theory is that god won't lose any of his 'real' sheep and that there will be a lot of surprises who is there and who isn't in the end.

So to sum up, I don't mean to throw cold water on your thread or your idea of using the family study...just that you have to be extremely careful. If children have been successfully indoctrinated up to that point...the reaction could totally backfire and delay for years their finding out the truth about the truth. That's what happened in my case, but your mileage may vary. People have got to be ready for it,

hugs

essie

• jgnat
    jgnat

Perhaps, fleur, I should temper this advice by suggesting that study leaders read up on cognitive dissonance first. You never want the participants to become afraid. Fear causes the very response you talk about. If the participants start pulling back or sound like they are speaking right out of a watchtower magazine, back off and slow down. Go back to "safer" subjects for a time.

GRRR for elders who think they can wedge themselves as spiritual heads above the fathers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit