Introduce Independent Thinking by Family Bible Study

by jgnat 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

One tried and tested method for a fading husband to bring his witness family out with him, is the family bible study. This method has the added benefit of being APPROVED by the Watchtower Society.
    Here's one: http://www.freeminds.org/psych/exithelp.htm

Here's another: Paraphrased transcript of a lecture by Arnold Hoffman on witnessing to JWs by showing them that Jehovah COMMANDS them to come to his Son, in order to escape condemnation for their own PERSONAL sins.

Identify with their hope. Do you want to see paradise? You should show him that by coming to Jesus you are obeying Jehovah God.

General discussion points:

Christ’s work on the stake: Adamic sin is the original sin, out of which we lost the right to life, etc., and we inherited his condemnation. JWs teach that Christ came to offset Adamic sin with his death. But in addition, we also have Adam’s sin nature. Our own man was crucified. The personal sins aspect is important to emphasize. This aspect is the only aspect that you are asked to believe that he died for. You will show that personal sins were transferred with Jesus’ body. Penalty is paid.

What then is our personal response to Jesus? You have to show the JW the scriptural response and tell him why. Jesus has authority to forgive your sins. To give you eternal life. JWs believe that Jehovah does everything through Jesus. The society robs Jesus of every saving action. Go over scripture and ask, "Do you know why Jehovah God asks you do to respond to Jesus? Because he has given him authority to forgive your sins. But why did God do that?"

We come to Jesus because Jehovah God wants us to and desires us to. I want to obey Jehovah God by going to Jesus. Do I want to do his will and be in compliance with his arrangement? Then I will go to his son. If not, I don’t have eternal life. I don’t have my sins forgiven. Not everyone who says "Lord Lord"...In spite of all your theocratic works. We are obeying God by coming to Jesus.

Step by step approach:

What did Christ do for you on the tree? Wait for explanation.

What else? They stop. Would you turn to 1 Pet 2:24, explain that passage? Ask questions. "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree…" Ask, what did Jesus bear in his own body on the tree? Our sins? Which sins? Our personal sins…Where did he carry it? Have you ever read that before? Make up a drawing: "Look at this drawing: our sins, our sins on the tree." Is it our personal sins? Ask questions. Make them think about it. What does "our" mean? (doesn’t mean Adam’s sin) Did you know that God transferred your personal sins to Jesus? Another verse: Isaiah 53:6 "God made to light upon him our iniquity" Peter is quoting this verse by Isaiah.

Question: Why would he do this? Emphasize "in his body".
    Answer: Romans 6:23: "The soul that sins shall die", not the soul that inherits sin.
    Conclusion: You are under double condemnation: Adamic sin PLUS personal sin.

James 1:15 says "Sin bringeth forth death." You are under 2 condemnations. JWs have no sense that the condemnation of death is on them for personal sins. Go over Galations 3:10. The principles of the law apply. One sin brings the curse of God upon you. How are you going to be released from that condemnation?
    Show them the illustration of a traffic ticket. Are you going to pay for it or are you going to get someone else to pay for it? What if you go to the judge and ask for forgiveness? How about if I go before the judge, and pay it for you? Will that settle the matter?

Jesus became the curse (took on the curse) when He died for our sins. Build the connection between the death of Jesus and their personal sins. "What caused the death of Jesus"? Was it your personal sins? Then you can say, "if you left this earth right now you can be charged with the murder of Christ and be found guilty." Here’s what you’ve done. Until you’ve seen that your personal sins have caused the death of Jesus, the work he did isn’t personal to you. Seeing this makes it totally personal. Wow, when you think about my sin causing his death it becomes personal.

Why good works won’t save. We appreciate the fact we are saved without works. In the Witness mind it is faith plus works. You have to acknowledge the fact that works has a place in the Christian life. Show them how foolish their reasoning is by the traffic ticket example. The judge can’t forgive the penalty because you did all this great stuff. Likewise, your penalty can’t be forgiven just because you’ve been theocratically good! Because the judge has forgiven that sin, then you can show your appreciation. The judge does not forgive you on the basis of mercy. He forgives because of justice.

How are our sins forgiven? You have to come to Jesus and pray to him. You have to show him its scripturally proper.
    Acts 7:59—Stephen. Go to 1 Cor 1:2 "to all those who call upon the name of the Lord"—Jesus Christ. What does it mean to call upon the name of God in the OT? What does mean to call upon the name of the Lord? 2 Cor 12: 8-11 "I besought the lord Jesus" Acts 22:16 "Wash away your sins by calling upon his name". The Lord’s prayer was given to disciples who were already cleaned, Jn 13. When Jesus left the earth God’s arrangement changed. IT was OK to pray to Jesus. John 14:14.

Give your personal testimony. Jesus has the authority to forgive sins, grant eternal life. Say, in Jehovah’s arrangement, God has given Jesus authority to forgive sins. You have to show him from the scriptures. Did you know that Jehovah God commands you to go to Jesus? First of all, Jesus actually commanded you to come to him and "I’ll give you life." The trouble with the Pharisees is that they wouldn’t do that! The JW has to know this. Did you know that Jesus never spoke words except the words God gave to him? They were the words that the father showed him. In John 3 God said, "hear him" as a command. Jesus expressed the will of God when he said this.

Always express things in the context of obeying God. Tell your personal testimony. I didn’t have a sense of approval in my life. God showed what Jesus did for me. You want him to know there was a supernatural event. The moment I complied with his arrangement, I had a sense of God’s presense, a sense that he was a Father to me for the first time. Now look, I want you to know that I didn’t hear voices or see visions. But I want you to know that it was a genuine superantural event. End with these words. And I want you to know, it wasn’t demonism. Because I did exactly what God told me to do. Because of this my experience is genuine, not counterfeit.

Paul commended the Bereans.

Let us propose for a minute that you have a false concept. What is the initial penetration of truth to your mind? Doubt is the initial penetration of truth. That is the Holy Spirit. To doubt God himself is wrong, but to doubt your own understanding is not sin but is a call for you to exercise your responsibility. Jehovah God is trying to get you to think for yourself and find out what truth is.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Brilliant! I'll have to keep this one in mind.

• elliej
    elliej

Excellent! Thank you for posting this.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You wouldn't believe the number of PM's I'm getting asking for this advice.

It would be cool to come up with some more.

• jgnat
    jgnat

What if the family is suspicious of anything other than WT materials? Blondie preferred the Greatest Man book of all the materials she read. I think a strong dose on the life of Jesus can wean the JW's away from fear and judgement.

• jgnat
    jgnat

It seems to me you can study just about anything and improve on the WT style just by introducing open-ended questions.

"What do you think about that?"

"If someone you knew were in that situation, what would you tell them to do?"

"Is this conclusion backed by other scriptures? Let's see if we can find them."

• Forscher
    Forscher

Pretty good thread JGnat.
    Through the years I emphasized obedience to God before all others in my family studies. So I shouldn't be all that suprised that only one of my kids is still in the bOrg. The one study I had who is in the bOrg had a good dose of that as well. Recently he invited my wife, son and I to his baby shower, to the shocked suprise of the others who attended. He was aware that we are not considered welcome at JW get-togethers, but he did it anyway. I was proud of him!
    If people do as you advise, they can be reasonably certain that their family will see the light one day.
    Forscher

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

jgnat - you continually amaze me. Simply brilliant.

Thank you for all your creative contributions to this board.

-Aude.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Any other study ideas? Here are more open-ended questions I'm borrowing from www.criticalthinking.org. Thank you moanzy, for reminding me. When evaluating our thinking, we can check against nine intellectual standards:

Clarity, Accuracy, Precision, Relevance, Depth, Breadth, Logic, Significance, and Fairness.

When thinking something through on your own, you can ask yourself some of these sample questions to make sure you have considered all angles. In a bible study, you can modify the questions to help your family think.

Clarity - Could you elaborate? Could you give me an example? Could you illustrate what you mean?

Accuracy - How could we check on that? How could we find out if that is true? How could we verify or test that?

Precision - Could you be more specific? Could you give me more details? Could you be more exact?

Relevance - How does that relate to the problem? How does that bear on the question? How does that help us with the issue?

Depth - What factors make this a difficult problem? What are some of the complexities of the question? What are some of the difficulties we need to deal with?

Breadth - Do we need to look at this form another perspective? Do we need to consider another point of view? Do we need to look at this in other ways?

Logic - Does all this make sense together? Does your first sentence fit in with your last? Does what you say follow from the evidence?

Significance - Is this the most important problem to consider? Is this the central idea to focus on? Which of these facts is most important?

Fairness - Do I have any vested interest in this issue? Am I sympathetically representing the viewpoints of others?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Fantastic!

DB74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit