How many languages can you "speak"?

by averyniceguy 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Shazard
    Shazard

Latvian spoken, Latvian written, Russian spoken, Russian written, English spoken, English written
    So overall 6 :D

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

Scottish, English and poco Italiano grazi

Oh and I also know some very rude sign language not sure if that counts though

BM

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I learned French at school for four years, and was fairly good. I learned German for three years at school, and another year when I worked for a German company, and I still can't understand Germans speaking German. Hopeless. I know the Italian for anything you can put on a pizza, and a few technical terms. I visit the Netherlands quite often, but I haven't attempted to learn Dutch. I am totally intimidated by the consonant sounds.

Apart from the fact that we start learning languages far too late in the UK, we have next to no opportunity to maintain any language skills. I have noticed when travelling in Germany and the Netherlands how much English (well US) TV there is. Being able to watch English language TV must be a big help in getting used to the sound and picking up vocabulary.

Looking at the input on some message boards, written English is no longer some peoples first language. U no wot I mean? Hideous.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I speak about 3/4 of one language, English.

Ken P.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

My mother tongue is Cajun French. Learned English in school. I speak both equally well.

• JH
    JH

English and French fluently

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

English - first language

French - I can manage

Signed Exact English (SEE) - probably a bit rusty but still good

American Sign language (ASL) - expressive not bad - receptive - a lot harder

• divejunkie
    divejunkie

Spanish, English, Portuguese and some ASL

• Honesty
    Honesty

Only one.

I tried learning the pure language of the truth but the person who gave me directions to class was lying and I ended up in a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I speak English and if I was stranded in Mexico, I could speak enough Spanish to get along. I also speak "Music". If I was stranded in Italy, I might be able to get along a little bit.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit