Did John Denver hate Jehovah's Witnesses?

by free2beme 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    rebel8 said: The version circulating here in WT NY State was that John Denver opened his concert by talking about how great JWs were and asked them to stand up. When they did, he immediately began playing the National Anthem.

I heard the exact same tale, only with Don Ho as the villian. And it took place in Hawaii...... I had some JW friends in the late 1970s who always went to John Denver concerts and they were never asked to leave.......

LMAO @ Gumbdenver's rendition of Country Boy

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I lived thru the era when this was supposed to have happened. Like another poster - the Hawaii concert and the Johnny Carson incident were told in the same way to me.

Seems though - that of all the posters here - someone would have firsthand info.

Auldsoul - did you mean that you were actually a witness to this?

Jeff

• Jourles
    Jourles

Surely there is at least footage of the JC episode? The John Denver concert legend might never be proven.

• james_woods
    james_woods

There was a kind of peripheral legend around in the early seventies that he had a large sign put up at the gates of his Colorado estate which specifically ordered "no Jehovah's Witnesses" along with no soliciting and no trespassing. It was told by some younger guys I knew who were from there and had supposedly seen it while in service. The concert thing was mentioned a time or two as well, but I always assumed it to be a myth.

I for one always kind of liked the guy's music even while a witness - mostly because my friend Mike T. was a big fan and we covertly listened to his records whenever we wanted without raising the flag too much! We were also guilty of listening to George Carlin comedy albums...

I realize that he was guilty of some pretty bad flying discipline (and not just that fatal Varieze accident) but I still felt bad when he crashed.

James

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    I actually believe he portrayed witnesses unfairly as ignorant, poor, white trash.

Fixed it for ya!

• jukief
    jukief

What about the Glen Campbell rumors? Apparently, he did study with the Witnesses for a very short time. But I remember how everyone in my congregation was really excited because a certain family from our congregation had gone to the district assembly in Houston and had watched him being baptized. They even took pictures, and people could hardly wait until they got home. Well ... turns out that not only hadn't they seen GC baptized (he was never baptized), they hadn't even gone to Houston. They were visiting their daughter in another state. They were dumbfounded when people practically attacked them asking for pictures of GC. :D How these rumors get started is beyond me. The Witnesses are the absolute worst at spreading them, too. My brother, who's a CO, was and still is a huge John Denver fan. He went to a couple of concerts and so did his friends. If John Denver ever did something like that, he didn't do it at any of the concerts people I know went to.

• juni
    juni
    Another vocal anti-JW from days gone by was Francis Bavier ('Bee' Taylor from the Andy Griffith Show). says Auld Soul

I wouldn't want that mean Aunt Bee after my ass!! I couldn't stand her whiny voice.

Juni

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Despite AuldSoul's comment, I think these are all JW urban myths. Heard all the stories mentioned here - but never a shred of proof.
    Also agree that there's no way people would be asked to leave a concert due to their religion! Come on - there are civil rights, and the entertainer would have been in serious trouble.
    Another one was when a brother came back from a DC saying that Glen Campbell had been baptized there. He didn't see him, of course, but knew someone who did.
    Another myth.
    S4

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, I don't know if Glen Cambell was baptized or not, but I used to have a sheet music collection of all his music. It had a picture of him in his library and there was a new world translation up on one of the shelves in the background.

I busted my tail for over a year trying to learn how to play classical gas on an acoustic.

James

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

From last year:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit