1000 Year Reign of Christ - A little help please

by rassillon 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rassillon
    rassillon

OK all you Wile E. Coyote Super Genius types....

I have been looking at some of Russell's charts and such and it is indicated that the Millinial Reign of Christ would have begun in 1874 new understanding 1914.....

Does this mean that we are now living nearly a 100 years into the 1000 year reign?

I thought the 1000 year reign came after armageddon?

Am I making sense?

What is the WT's explaination?

Am I missing something? I really don't know how I did not think about this earlier....I guess the fog is lifting...;)

I am counting on all you misinformed, satanic, evil, hater, apostates....

-r

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

This is a bit strange indeeed.

the official understanding is that the 1000 years start at/after armageddon.
    even now jesus is king, but without kingdom.

you are right if you say that there are some discrepancies here....

he, I am not evil!

• Free
    Free

They believed that 1874 marked the end of 6,000 years of human history and they had expected Christ's return in that year. When it passed they felt disillusioned. The thousand years is supposed to start at Armageddon. That's when the ones who survive get the privilege of cleaning up , building big houses, having big gatherings on grassy mountain sides with big baskets full of fruit and little kids with those little yellow flotation devices on their arms swimming in a pool with great white sharks. They have changed so many dates it's hard to see straight. It's like three card monte for crying out loud, guess what date it is now ! Make one up yourself, There is no difference.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    What is the WT's explaination?

They wrote another book, of course. As long as they keep the "new light" far enough ahead of the previous generation, they're homefree. A JW apologist would accuse you of dragging up ancient history to tear them down.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The WTB&TS does indeed presently teach that the millennium begins AFTER Armageddon, but other Adventist groups, including, I believe, the Bible Students, hold to the belief that the millennium began some time ago (I think specific dates vary). Being less than 10% into it, we shouldn't expect perfection yet.

"The Harp of God" (by WTS president Joseph Franklin Rutherford, published 1921) offers these proofs that Jesus returned in the year 1874:

- - - - - begin quote - - - - -
    "It was in the year 1874, the date of our Lord's second presence that the first labor organization in the world was created. From that time forward, there has been a marvelous increase of light, and the inventions and discoveries have been too numerous for us to mention all of them here, but mention is made of some of those that have come to light since 1874, as further evidence of the Lord's presence since that date, as follows: Adding machines, aeroplanes, aluminum, antiseptic surgery, artificial dyes, automatic couplers, automobiles, barbed wire, bicycles, carborundum, cash registers, celluloid, correspondence schools, cream separators, Darkest Africa, disk plows, Divine Plan of the Ages, dynamite, electric railways, electric welding, escalators, fireless cookers, gas engines, harvesting machines, illuminating gas, induction motors, linotypes, match machines, monotypes, motion pictures, North Pole, Panama Canal, pasteurization, radium, railway signals, Roentgen Rays, shoe-sewing machines, skyscrapers, smokeless powder, South Pole, submarines, subways, talking machines, telephones, television, typewriters, vacuum cleaners, and wireless telegraphy."
    - - - - - end quote - - - - -

With incredible evidence such as this one must agree with the 1924 Watchtower that "Surley there is not the slightest room for doubt in the mind of the truely consecrated child of God that the Lord Jesus has been present since 1874."

Persons who agree with that train of thought would tell you that all of the advancements of modern man have been due to an invisible King and not the result of the rational mind and labor of MEN.

Others like Ayn Rand and myself would maintain that they have the picture inverted.

• Justin
    Justin

Yes, according to Russell's understanding the Millennium begins around the time of the Parousia of Christ (for Russell, 1874), but for current JWs it must wait until Armageddon. For Russell, there was an overlapping of the ages, which meant that the 40 years of harvest (1874 - 1914) coincided with the beginning of restitution blessings.

To Russell, Daniel 12:4 seemed to refer to the beginning of restitution even while the time of the end was still running (and to Russell, the time of the end had begun even earlier than 1874 - in 1799). That text reads: "But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased." (italics added) This was taken as a prediction of modern means of transportation, such as the railroad, and the increase in knowledge was understood to refer to knowledge in all fields - not simply Bible understanding.

Another favorite text was Isaiah 21:11-12 which reads, in part: "Watchman, what of the night? Watchman, what of the night? The watchman said, The morning cometh, and also the night." (italics added) This was understood to teach that the Millennial morning would dawn first, and then the night of Armageddon would come. This is why the original series title for Studies in the Scriptures was Millennial Dawn, because of the belief that the Millennium had already dawned.

It was not until 1943 that the WTS came to the conclusion that 6,000 years of human history would end in the mid-1970's, and that Russell had been 100 years off in his calculations, thus pushing the start of the Millennium into the future. (Of course, it did not start even in 1975, but that's another story.)

It's always important not to confuse current understandings with the original teachings of Russell.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Russell did believe that Christs's so called invisible return began in 1874 and 1914 would be the time of Armageddon. He got all this from the adventists he did not originate them.

Then after 1914 failed Ruthford carried forward those same failed dates, 1914 became the year of the mysterious invisible presence and Armageddon's date was set and reset many times and finally indefinitely postponed in 1995.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

According to a statement in the book "Life Everlasting in the Freedom of the Sons of God", we must already be in the millenium.

Around page 35 or 36 there is a chronological chart that Dates the END of Christ's millennial reign as October 2975.

HB

• heathen
    heathen

I think the facts are that Armageddon is an invisible spiritual war that has been going on since the end of appointed times . The current governments all stand in opposition to the holy remnant that speaks in behalf of the kingdom . Revelation states that those are murdered for bearing witness to christ and the first resurrection does not take place until after the last one dies . Unlike the WTBTS that says the resurrection is happening now ,when they die it's instantaneous , I don't think that's what the bible says .I think the millenial reign begins after the final battle of this system and the marriage feast of the lamb begins . Tho christ rules this is not considered his millenial reign . IMO

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Alternative opinion - I've posted this before

There's not a physical 1000 year earthman thing.

In the spiritual realm one reigns with him, in his kingdom, over yourself and your spirits - and other spirits around you also

Like the centurion who says to one go and he goes, and to Another come and he comes, he would reign over his self - and, with Christ, one reigns with Him

- entering this awareness, this region of Caesarea Philipi - Caesarea is "the possession of the prince" located at the source of the Jor-dan, your "stream of judgement" - Philipi, friend of horses, your spirits that befriend and work, kept or restrained, or run wild with pride. Does a horse have a divided hoof ?

When Christ enters the region He asks, "Who do men say that I am?" in the region is the land When you cross the Jordan and live in the land which the Lord your God is giving you to inherit, and He gives you rest from all your enemies around you........

Being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was coming, he answered them, "The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed; nor will they say, `Lo, here it is!' or `There!' for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you." -------------------------------------------------------------
    I will send you Another and you will be called sons
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    a slave does not know what his master is doing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit