What should I take to Kenya as a gift?

by katiekitten 28 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I entered a competition at school set by the British Council and Teachers TV. The prize was for 4 teachers to visit their link school anywhere in the world, and be filmed for a programme for Teachers TV.

I WON!!!

Our link school is in Kenya. We are going in July, and I have just found out from the film makers that Moses, the deputy head of the school and our main contact, is going to have us all for tea one night. He lives in a hut with his parents, and no electricity. He is going to kill a lamb for us.

Its going to be wonderful, but I am so worried that Moses is going to be hospitable at a very great expense to himself. We cant just bung him some money, and say "here, buy youself another lamb".

Does anyone have any suggestions for sensitive gifts that wouldnt leave Moses out of pocket? (I have already bought a wind up radio and torch for him, but suspect this wont compensate for livestock)

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

Congratulations on winning!

Katie, I would suggest perhaps exactly that... another lamb or some live stock. Make some enquiries when you arrive about where and how to purchase some live stock. Perhaps scope out his set up at the dinner and take something around the next day. A load of chickens or another lamb or similar.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Damn, just lost my post , any way I was going to refer you to this site about Kenyan local customs:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Africa/Kenya/Local_Customs-Kenya-BR-1.html

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Thank you - britboy - excellent suggestion.

Ballistic - WTF you doing in on a saturday night, a pretty by like you? Im in cos ive left my partner and gone to my mums house in a huff, and im already drunk so I cant go out... but you.... can you get up the M5 to J11 in the next 30 minutes?

• BritBoy
    BritBoy
    ........can you get up the M5 to J11 in the next 30 minutes?

How about Jct 21 of the M1?!! LOL

• ballistic
    ballistic

hehe - I'm not going out much at the mo, posh people call it a detox, I just call it taking it easy for a bit - apart from down the beach, backs of my legs are burnt to hell at the mo. I'm leaving after Mikes BBQ for 6 weeks in the US, and briefly into Canada and the Dallas apostfest so I'm saving it all till then! Hell, enjoy your drink, eveyone's entitled to a huff now and then!

• luna2
    luna2

How exciting, kk! I have no gift suggestions, but I wanted to congratulate you on your win.

Re your message to the ballistic one: nothing to say really, just made me giggle.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

The backs of your legs are burned! Thats the most feeble excuse ive ever heard!

Christ if my ego didnt have the hide of a rhino...

J13 of the M1 would be great Britboy, but im bladdered... sigh...

• ballistic
    ballistic

A junction on a motorway is a bit of strange place to meet KK, but it would be well worth the effort. I'd even waive my call-out fee.

• BritBoy
    BritBoy
    J13 of the M1 would be great Britboy, but im bladdered... sigh...

PML

J21 of the M1, not J13!!

And I too am bladdered. Matt (other half) has discovered the recipe to Phoebe's (from Friends) fabulous Rasin & Oat Cookies... trotted off to Sainsbury's and bought all the ingredients and is now baking for Jesus in the kitchen!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit