JESUS AND ZEN

by onesong 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry
    Sorry Terry, it seems you've either missed the point or else aren't communicating very clearly. It must suck to be a right-brain thinker, huh?

Words disconnected from the reality which brought them to birth are just flotation devices for imagination.

I'm aghast that adults don't bother to trouble themselves about the basic units of thought in terms of defining them.

If we don't understand what thoughts are and don't see the need for objectivity or even comprehend what emotions are: what have we been

doing on planet earth all these years with our brains?

I'll tell you what we've been doing: using the brain as a video game!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gawd, you're condescending...

• Terry
    Terry

"In modern psychology, the term neurosis , also known as psychoneurosis or neurotic disorder , is a general term that refers to any mental imbalance that causes distress, but (unlike a psychosis or personality disorder) does not prevent rational thought or an individual's ability to function in daily life. As an illness, it represents a psychiatric condition in which emotional distress or unconscious conflict is expressed through various physical, physiological, and mental disturbances. It has perhaps been most simply defined as a "poor ability to adapt to one's environment, an inability to change one's life patterns, and the inability to develop a richer, more complex, more satisfying personality."

This is the result of not matching your values with your everyday life in a practical sense.

Mystical definitions, superstition, religious beliefs and other such thumb-sucking only offers temporary and ineffective comfort. It is of no practical value and leads to neurosis.

Gawd, you're condescending...

Maybe you just aren't accustomed to somebody speaking to you like an adult?

It is only condescending if you are __beneath__it all.

Surely, you aren't.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I rest my case.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya man, jesus was one of the great apostates of all time. cool read.

cheers bro,

TS

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

JT, since we're in this discussion may I ask a question? I've pondered this concept of false selves, ego's that are created and can see the deeper "oneness" of everything but it seems to me that these false selves or ego's have a purpose, I'm just not sure what it is.

Any ideas? Are they something used to navigate thru reality and no longer hinder us once they are seen for what they are?

just to offer a different point of view... You might, wanna read, Timothy Leary's book, "Info-Psychology / A Manual On The Use Of The Human Nervous System According To The Instructions Of The Manufacturers"

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

If life has taught me one thing, it's that there can be many different ways to view the same thing. Those different ways are also not always mutually exclusive. I welcome any point of view which helps me to see something that I have been looking at for years, in a slightly differrent manner. It can serve to deepen my appreciation of the subject at hand. Some may be threathened by this, I am not. Thanks for sharing this ZEN point of view. I too would enjoy reading this book.

Steve

• onesong
    onesong

Good to hear hear from you Tetra, like the new avatar. What kind of axe are you pickin'?

OFG, that sounds like a good read, I'll check it out...thanks.

Steve Lowry, I couldn't agree more...nothing like being open minded and realizing that you don't, nor ever will have all the answers.

Terry, how 'bout a beer man?

LittleToe, your case rested well I thought.

• Terry
    Terry
    Terry, how 'bout a beer man?

LittleToe, your case rested well I thought.

I like a dark beer!

Little Toe's case needed a rest.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

onesong:

I've pondered this concept of false selves, ego's that are created and can see the deeper "oneness" of everything but it seems to me that these false selves or ego's have a purpose, I'm just not sure what it is....Are they something used to navigate thru reality and no longer hinder us once they are seen for what they are?

From what I have discovered the false-self or ego, can not "see the deeper oneness of everything", and it has no purpose other than to cause a great deal of suffering...not that this is it's purpose, so much as a natural result of living in ignorance.

By far the god and master most in need of relinquishment is the false-self; for it is focus on the false that blinds consciousness to it's truth and reality; and all the other gods are but supportive structures for the lie. Surrendering our cherished gods is but a step in surrender of all we believe ourselves to be.

cognizant dissident:

we don't want to become so attached and enslaved to their teachings that they cause more problems for us then they were originally intended to help us solve. Or we become so convinced that we have found the correct path to enlightenment that we are now "experts" and no longer have anything to learn.

The problem with "teachings" and "masters", is that they often support the false belief that we are a "student" that needs to lean and evolve, or that we are less than those who know and or are "masters". Such feelings and beliefs support and so sustain the false sense of broken "self" that needs some thing, or some one.

What this is about is realizing the perfect and pristine wholeness and purity that is our true and real identity, already.

Does this make sense? It can get very tricky.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit