Jehovahs Witnesses - The Peter Pan religion

by truthseeker 15 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

First Rutherford said that "Millions Now Living Will Never Die"

Then he tells parents they should not have children as the end is so close.

The Awake! 1969 says that "young people will never grow old in this system of things."

When I was being raised in "the troof" I was told I would never leave school, never finish college etc etc - well, it's been a while since I've done those things.

How many of you here were told you wouldn't get married or have kids before this old system was destroyed?

Besides that, the Watchtower writes articles that get dumber and dumber.

How's that for a Peter Pan religion?

• Fleur
    Fleur

It it any wonder that my mother is so bitter?

She was baptized at the age of 7 back in the day. She didn't even know what 'fornication' was or anything that anyone should know before agreeing not to do something. She was just a baby.

She was told not to marry: "Right around the corner"

Don't have kids: "Right around the corner"

Now her oldest child is old enough to be a grandparent, if she'd had children. But she didn't, because she too was told that it was "just around the corner."

I'm a couple kids down and I'm glad I didn't wait. I'm the only one who has given my parents a grandchild.

She is so angry, she can hardly cope. But she still believes.

Unreal, and sad.

essie

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

First Rutherford said that "Millions Now Living Will Never Die"

Then he tells parents they should not have children as the end is so close.

The Awake! 1969 says that "young people will never grow old in this system of things."

When I was being raised in "the troof" I was told I would never leave school, never finish college etc etc ;- well, it's been a while since I've done those things.

How many of you here were told you wouldn't get married or have kids before this old system was destroyed?

Besides that, the Watchtower writes articles that get dumber and dumber.

How's that for a Peter Pan religion?

It is totally a Peter Pan religion.

For these reasons I never took full advantage of public education until my Senior year in high school when I raised my GPA a full point by applying myself and taking college prep courses.

I remember being told that I would never have to finish secular schooling. I remember praying to Jehovah nightly to bring Armeggedon in elementary school so I wouldn't have to face a bully the next school day.

I never learned how to resolve conflict until I left the WTS, because I was taught to "wait on Jehovah."

The list goes on and on.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I went into the org. with kids. But the mantra spoken of most often was - why get a higher education, the end is right around the corner?

I really hated that as I have a college degree and it really helped me get far in my life. I want the same for my kids, so I am glad we are out because this would have been a big source of contention in my family. My kids are 11 and 13, both very smart A students. Our daughter wants to go to art school and is a very talent artist since she was about 6.

Anyway, I did notice that the people in my old KH absolutely resented small kids. They were not allowed to make one small peep of a sound during the meetings or they would be labeled forever as brats. I couldn't understand why at the time but one day I overheard a "brother" tell another older sister "I don't know why any one would want to have a baby this deep into the end". That statement was made after a sister announced she and her hubby were expecting. I was furious with him for saying that. I have never regretted having my kids.

By the way, that was 7 years ago and the baby he spoke of is a wonderful, smart, funny and energetic little boy. Too bad though he is still in the org.

I think some feel anger towards young ones as they resent not having kids themselves? I don't know but I feel so sorry for people who put their lives on hold for nothing. I pray every day that these poor souls are released from captivity to this evil publishing company. Lilly

• juni
    juni

That is sad, Essie. Are Jehovah's people happy? If they want to be accepted as spiritually mature they will answer "yes". But in their hearts I wonder what Jehovah will find upon examination.

I'm so happy not to be following a manmade org. that claims to represent God on the earth. One has to be true to one's self to be happy. It can't be a mantra.

Juni

• greendawn
    greendawn

In 1980 I was told that I shouldn't go to university, it was a waste of time since the end was just round the corner, it couldn't really be more than 7 or 8 years away.

Fortunately I didn't obey that non sense: "you would be better off using your time to serve jehovah after all that is what makes man truly happy." By that time I had heard enough about the 1975 fraud.

Juni got that right: you have to be true to yourself to be happy.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    She didn't even know what 'fornication' was or anything that anyone should know before agreeing not to do something. She was just a baby.

I know a woman who, as a teenager, was interrogated by the elders about her relationship with her best friend. The elders thought they were lesbians and were doing "lesbian things" (in reality they were not) and asked her if she had engaged in oral sex.

She had no idea what oral sex was and thought it meant she had *talked* about sex with her friend... well of course two teenage girls had talked about sex, so she told the elder that, yes, she had oral sex with her friend.

She was Disfellowshipped on the spot.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Elsewhere:

But don't you have the right to appeal. To be d.f.ed for not understanding what someone meant, and it stayed that way!?

Warlock (the "beginning to get angry" one)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Elsewhere:

But don't you have the right to appeal. To be d.f.ed for not understanding what someone meant, and it stayed that way!?

Warlock (the "beginning to get angry" one)

It was years later when she figured out what oral sex was. She couldn't appeal a decision she didn't know was in error.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I was told not to go to college, when I went to a 1 year tech school, I was talked about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit