Looks like Long beach CA loves the conventions

by loosie 18 Replies latest social current

• Plummet
    Plummet

They are getting something in return. I was told by brothers here and by family that live near there and by my friends family that live in Long Beach that the Society did a lot of work on the Long Beach Facility.

The City provided the materials.

The Society provided the labor, free volenteer witness workers.

In exchange for FREE USE of the Long Beach Facility for the next 20 years.

That what I kept hearing anyway.

• Honesty
    Honesty

This all adds up to a nearly $4 million economic impact over the 12 weeks, Goodling said.

"Watchtower (Jehovah's Witnesses) is a great group because they come in 12 consecutive times during the summer. They provide us with a great amount of business," Goodling said.

Reminds me of a scripture:

Rev. 18:3 and the traveling merchants of the earth became rich due to the power of her shameless luxury.

• Joker10
    Joker10

No bad news to report about the Long Beach assembly. Attendance was good.

I have friends who work in the Downtown area, including the Pike. Businesses did very well, and wanting to open at earlier and later times. Anybody who was out there wanting to eat know restaurants practically didn't have room for anybody else.

And Plummet, is right. They get free rent.

• sf
    sf

The only thing worth going to Long Beach is to see this man:

sKally

• lola28
    lola28

The Society did a lot of work to the convention arena, they provided all the materials and workers, in return they get to use the convention cent. for free for several years (I forgot how long) to be honest they really did do a good job and I think Long Beach is happy to have them there because they do spend money (I know I did) do you really think that a city that's getting so much money from the witnesses is going to write something negative?

Lola

• heathen
    heathen

Yah it's always interesting how the word "cult" never comes up when they are talking about the money spent for these things . I suppose this thing could be good for the soul if you consider catching up on your sleep for insomniacs .LOL 10mins later

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

This article makes me sad, they are putting a good light on something that is not so good.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

In my gmail/google alerts, I get a lot of them with news articles all over the country. I agree with you, Collegegirl21.

Now, I see why (highlights mine):

http://wfmz.com/cgi-bin/tt.cgi?action=viewstory&storyid=16861 First of Several Jehovah's Witness Conventions Underway

Story posted on 2006-06-09 18:21:00

The Jehovah's Witnesses Conventions are back in Reading for a second straight year. The religious group decided to come back after deeming last year's conventions a huge success.

The first day is just finishing up for the Jehovah's Witnesses return to Reading.
    - -
    And WFMZ's Joel D. Smith is live outside the Sovereign Center with more on what happens inside. Joel?

They are finishing up right now, and in case anyone is not sure about who this group is:
    The Jehovah's Witnesses are a group of Christians who strive to proclaim their beliefs, and strengthen their faith, and the faith of others.
    But if your image is a legion of Jehovah's Witnesses getting ready to knock on every door in town, , don't worry, here's what's really happening in there.

Joe Mazacek
    You know sometimes folks have unusual ideas about Jehovah's Witnesses.
    Reporter
    So what's the truth about this convention?
    Between five and a half and six thousand people will fill the Sovereign Center for about 5 hours a day, Friday through Sunday.
    During these sessions, there are prayers, songs, and a heavy dose of reading from the bible.
    If you please, I want to look at the 30th verse of the 6th chapter of 2nd Corinthians.
    Reporter
    The theme this year is "Deliverence at Hand", and every session is open to the public, free of charge.
    The organizers say visitors will not be overwhelmed by church members if they drop by, they just want as many as possible to hear their message.
    Social problems exist everywhere including Reading, obviously family values are under attack, young people need direction.
    All these things will be on the program.
    But in the back of his mind and deep in his heart, he knew there was one, and he knew that Jehovah heard him.

The Jehovah's Witnesses convention stretches for 7 weekends throughout the summer, bringing in an estimated 13 million dollars of business into Berks County. Tonight at 10:30 we'll have more on that financial impact.
    Live in Reading, Joel D. Smith, 69 News Berks Edition.

• heathen
    heathen
    Social problems exist everywhere including Reading, obviously family values are under attack, young people need direction.

yah , young people need their asses kicked to stay in line during long boring meetings like the convention . I'd like to know exactly what family values that are under attack and from whom . It's usually the WTBTS attacking everybody elses way of life . If the BORG isn't the center of your life then you are going to be miserable , like taking the kids to the convention is considered recreation by them . What a sham.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit