congregations disbanded

by Fleshybirdfodder 22 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

When I was a child, I came home from school one day and found my mother crying. One of our family's closes friends, and elder, had been disfellowshipped. He was an elder in the Greek speaking congregation in Vancouver. They disfellowshipped or removed all the elders for apostasy and disbanded the entire congregation, reassigning any faithful publishers to surrounding congregations.

• under_believer
    under_believer

cognizant dissident, I have a theory that the combination of understanding Greek and being honest naturally leads to apostasy.

• Es
    Es

Yes def one of the portugese congos were disbanded and half of them got lumbered in our congo, they were one of the most dishonest group of bro and sis i had ever met, Im not saying that it was coz they were portugese not at all, but within a year of them joining my old congo half the young ones were D\F which in hindsight is not a bad thing altho they all got reinstated.

es

• dozy
    dozy

This does happen occasionally - there was a congregation in Perth (Scotland) disbanded quite recently (nepotism and incompetent elders) and in Corstorphine , Edinburgh back in the late 80's. The elders are removed and any remaining witnesses (most have usually jumped ship already) disperse to surrounding congregations - it helps if a Kingdom Hall is shared.

The WTS are loathe to disband congregations , though , and will do anything to keep things going - they often "parachute" in elders from other congregations to replace those who have been removed.

• stapler99
    stapler99

dozy: Which congregation in Perth was it? I may have heard of it as I used to go to Perth for the conventions.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Just for the record, I never belonged to that "spiritistic" congregation.

At one of the "secret" meetings with the c.o., he told us of a cong. where the whole servant body was removed, the kingdom hall was locked up without telling the publishers. When the publishers arrived for the next scheduled meeting, suprise, suprise. No one could get into the hall.

One week later, the hall opened, with a new servant body and a new name.

The whole process began like this: A little old sister told the c.o. that the elders were laughing behind his back while he was there and laughing about him after he left (his last visit) because they were doing a whole lot of things they shouldn't have been doing. She told him all the things that were going on and that's what lead to it all. They deserved it.

Warlock

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    What I heard is that the BOE were the majority of the trustees, and they not only left the Society, but they took the KH with them.

MAO!!! Yeah, take that Watchtower. We're not gonna give it to ya!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

cognizant dissident, I have a theory that the combination of understanding Greek and being honest naturally leads to apostasy. LOL Underbeliever: That's a very clever theory. Here's an exception. In another congregation, I would go out in service with a Greek speaking sister and whenever we got in a discussion about John 1:1 and the correct translation she would tell the householder she spoke Greek and understood the original meaning. So, either the Witnesses had that one right or she wasn't very honest. Cog

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I heard of one being disbanded over racism among the elder body.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    So, either the Witnesses had that one right or she wasn't very honest.

I vote for the latter. A modern Greek speaker has no more insight into NT Greek than a modern English speaker would have on something written in Old English. Especially when you consider with the case in point, that Modern Greek has an indefinite article while NT Greek doesn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit