One law----To love our neighbor as ourself right? then.....

by sinamongurl 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sinamongurl
    sinamongurl

Hey!!! I know how opinionated you all are so dont kill me....just wanted to bring up an interesting thought i had.....not that this necessarily shows my beliefs, but in an effort to still try to find myself and discover the truth, it is something i have been pondering for quite some time now..... So, if the only law we need to follow is to show love to one another..... Doesnt that make all the other little "rules" void? or not necessarily void but "love" encompasses so many things that it would inevitably encompass some of these like, say the 10 commandments....(not saying that 10 commandments are little, just an example)....just saying that if u r showing love at all times u r not going to be jealous, full of rage, hating, etc, etc..... As long as a person is not hurting someone else, then it wouldnt matter if someone is gay, or has many sexual partners, so on and so on..... Ok, now, so be gentle..... Sin

• sinis
    sinis

Not necessarily. As you recall jesus said he did not come to destroy the law nor the prophets. He sumed the law up into those two things, but keep in mind that Pauls epistles were written before the gospels. Paul tries to become all things to everyone in his quest for converts and even says the law died with christ. Yet Jesus, NEVER ONCE implied nor said this.

So, who do you believe? A self appointed apostle (Paul) or the Son of God, or nothing?

• sinamongurl
    sinamongurl

very good question sinis:

i havent made up my mind yet on this topic.....i vacillate constantly between atheist, mystical, and christian beliefs all the time....

i find this site a place of comfort and so i present issues that i may not be able to anywhere else.....u cant go and talk to ppl even my best friend who were never witnesses and have them be able to understand....

thanks for your response

• Scully
    Scully
    So, if the only law we need to follow is to show love to one another..... Doesnt that make all the other little "rules" void? or not necessarily void but "love" encompasses so many things that it would inevitably encompass some of these like, say the 10 commandments....(not saying that 10 commandments are little, just an example)....just saying that if u r showing love at all times u r not going to be jealous, full of rage, hating, etc, etc..... As long as a person is not hurting someone else, then it wouldnt matter if someone is gay, or has many sexual partners, so on and so on

That works as long as everyone can agree on a definition of what constitutes "loving" behaviour.

For example, JWs believe they are showing "love" when they shun us. I doubt that any of us would agree on that point.

• sinis
    sinis
    So, if the only law we need to follow is to show love to one another..... Doesnt that make all the other little "rules" void? or not necessarily void but "love" encompasses so many things that it would inevitably encompass some of these like, say the 10 commandments....(not saying that 10 commandments are little, just an example)....just saying that if u r showing love at all times u r not going to be jealous, full of rage, hating, etc, etc..... As long as a person is not hurting someone else, then it wouldnt matter if someone is gay, or has many sexual partners, so on and so on

That works as long as everyone can agree on a definition of what constitutes "loving" behaviour.

For example, JWs believe they are showing "love" when they shun us. I doubt that any of us would agree on that point.

Yet, "love" would really be the "Golden Rule" and should only have one definition, unless your a sadomasicist...

• sinamongurl
    sinamongurl

good point scully.....

• Scully
    Scully
    Yet, "love" would really be the "Golden Rule" and should only have one definition, unless your a sadomasicist...

To a True Believer™ JW, shunning them if they were DFd would be the Loving™ thing to do. That's why they are so eager to do unto others...

• daystar
    daystar

"Should" rarely has much to do with reality. You're talking about a verbal symbol for an emotion that is different for each and every individual on the planet, not just for sadists/masochists (In fact, I'd debate that sadomasochism has less to do with love than it does with lust. In other words, one could love someone in a more acceptable, traditional sense, and yet also be a sadomasochist.)

The problem with "love thy neighbor as thyself" is exactly a linguistic one, and it is up for interpretation as much as anything else.

• sinamongurl
    sinamongurl
    and yet also be a sadomasochist.)

The problem with "love thy neighbor as thyself" is exactly a linguistic one, and it is up for interpretation as much as anything else.

excellent point.....and i guess that is exactly what i have been pondering.....its so wide open that its possible we will never get the true meaning of what "love thy neighbor" truly means

for all we know, it could mean "love" thy neighbor.......my neighbors not that hot though....lol

• acadian
    acadian

Hello sin,

As long as a person is not hurting someone else, then it wouldnt matter if someone is gay, or has many sexual partners, so on and so on..... Ok, now, so be gentle..... Sin

And here in the USA "We the People" have a document that's suppose to support that Right. Their called the unalienable Right's to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness! As long as we don't infriegn on the Right's of other's and their Property. (Those days are gone now) as Bush said "it's just a goddamn piece of paper" OOps... I'm start'en to rant... as Jesus said....we need to "pull the log out of our own eye first before taking the splinter out of our brother's eye"
    Unfortunitly there's always someone who thinks they know how to run your life better than you. But, also remember...Jesus at the last supper, when talking to his disciple's, related how he had sent them out before, but now he tell's them something differant to carry a sword, peter said they had two, Jesus said that's enough. The reason for the sword was mearly for self defence...So, even though we want everyone to treat us the way we treat other's (displaying love, helping each other where we can) Jesus shows we still have a Right to defend ourselves.

If only the world was so simple...

Acadian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit