Do you have trouble with 'Renters' in the block?

by AK - Jeff 16 Replies latest jw friends

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Just watch "Pacific Heights" with Michael Keaton as the never-leave-the-apartment renter from hell. Great movie!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Just watch "Pacific Heights" with Michael Keaton as the never-leave-the-apartment renter from hell. Great movie!

Treshappy - thanks for reminding me of that movie - one of my favs. Just for the record - I know there are plenty of good renters out there. In fact, Wifey and I elected to rent for 8 years after selling our house. We were good renters, and lived in a good area with mostly other good renters. We did all the house maintenance and only charged our LL the cost of materials. We painted and landscaped too. Two years ago, almost to this date, we bought here. I suppose that is what irritates me so - I know that renters and owners can all be decent people. Most are. But the total lack of respect for others is disturbing. Some owners are just as guilty I am sure. In fact a homeowner in our block is an absolute arse. Mows once a month [need it or not] - then lets the clippings lay for a week or two before picking them up and putting them in a huge pile of wood and sticks and grass that borders my property. It looks like a damn hayfield all the time - never trims - drives in and out so fast that gravel flies in my yard. So in all fairness - I guess the statement should have been - why are people jerks? Now there's a question to answer. Jeff

• whyamihere
    whyamihere
    why are people jerks?

Well, if we didn't we would have that much to complain about.....

I know how you feel about renters, back when I used to rent my husband and I had our share of problems. However, I never let anything slide and I didn't wait for the landlord to come to my rescue. I just took it upon myself and let them know what I didn't like. Did they listen? Most of the time, since I was nice about it. Or, we get back at them by play death metal music at 6am(since they were up all night).

Now days? I live in a nice area, college professors, families etc.... We do(or shall I say did) have this one problem with our neighbor behind us. My only problem with him is he likes to beat his girl friend. Since the cops were called on him by other neighbors and nothing was really done, I took it upon myself. One night he was beating her again in their back yard, I hopped over the fence with my husbands bat and asked him if he would like to play with me for awhile? He took off. Never happened again.

My husband was actually talking to him about a certain tree a few weeks ago. I walked out and smiled at him and I swear he was more intimidated by me than my 6ft 250lb Neanderthal husband!

So what I am trying to say..... Honey, if you don't like something let them know!

Brooke

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I think a lot of renter issues are because the renters are only their temporarily and aren't invested into the neighborhood community like people that own their homes.

In our neighborhood you can tell who owns and who rents, but mainly that's because all the rentals are multi-family homes.

The renters throw parties at all hours, had the police here last weekend yet again...and don't follow the trash laws which makes litter blow all over the street.

When we were renters, we lived with this little old lady in her multi-family. As soon as I got home with our son from anywhere she would come down and talk to me...or make comments about my shopping bags. It was irritating at times, but then it was nice too because she always made us cookies or brought us extra food that she cooked. It was definately more good than bad. It was like living with my grandmother.

I will be glad when we don't live so close to everybody. The renters next door are being evicted and have nothing to lose so they are making everyone within 100 feet miserable.

I have made it a policy to put everything in writing when dealing with the landlords or city. This helps the landlords get the bad tennants out and it also helps the city fine the landlords to get the bad tennants out when they are tired of the fines.

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• snarf
    snarf

I am currently dealing with this issue myself. The renters across the street from my house are pitiful!! They have 2 dogs that are kept in outdoor kennels all day and they are basically ignored by the owners unless they are screaming at them to shut up. The dogs bark and whine all hours of the night. Also, they have an old truck that they rev up (it is really loud) and just drive it around the block revving away. They also carry their fights outside and scream awful things to each other.

Our neighborhood is sick of it, so we have banded together and make nuisance calls to the police whenever there is a loud disturbance. It is working. The police are going to take it to the city council and the district attorneys office to see if the neighborhood can have them evicted for public nuisance. They have pages of calls that the neighborhood has made to the police, so proving this issue is no problem. The landlord seemed uninterested in moving them out, he probably just wants the money, but now since the neighborhood and police are putting pressure on him, there are rumors that he will not renew their lease.

Maybe you could talk with your neighbors and a police officer in your area and see what you can do. Remember police are people too. They undrstand the fact that working people don't want to be kept up all night by dogs barking, people screaming and engines being run loudly. The city council and district attorneys understand what it does to property values as well. I live in an area that is growing, so they want to attract people to the area, not scare them away.

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/1050064_1050064.htm prolly no good for little kids theyd love it,

would prolly work well on pepes creeping around of a night time ...oh and jws

• nelly136

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit