Cognitive Dissonance and WT downsizing

by Lady Lee 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

There is a discussion on the board New JWD members on the Horizon! that suggests many of those who were pushed out of WT Headquarters will leave the WTS and some may find their way here.

I hope that is what happens.

But I have a sinking feeling that the opposite might happen. In Leon Festinger's book When Prophesy Fails he states:

Suppose an individual believes something with his whole heart; suppose further that he has a commitment to this belief, that he has taken irrevocable actions because of it; finally, suppose that he is presented with evidence, unequivocal and undeniable evidence, that his belief is wrong: what will happen? The individual will frewquently emerge, not only unshaken, but even more convinced of the truth of his beliefs than ever before. Indeed, he even show a new fervor about convincing and converting other people to his view (p. 3)

The average JW in congregations around the world who has found out about the downsizing, isn't it possible for them to consider the possiblity that the downsizing is due to the nearness of the end; a grand preparation for the climatic Armaggedon?

I suspect that many JWs will become stronger in their belief that the end is near. I really doubt the WTS will admit to the real problems that they face and if some of those problems leak out they will be brushed aside and further evidence that the end is near because "persecution is upon us".

I can't believe those who are being pushed out are not given "assignment" to carry out where ever they go or are sent to. For the most part I think they will be given a mission, and that mission is to do clean up in the congregations they go to.

Some might see right through this. Especially those who had become very jaded with life at Bethel. But the hard-core ones are going to go the exact opposite way and with renewed zest continue their slavery to the WTS.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I believe the kicker as with a lot of Bethelites who had made bethel there home was that we all went through a depression as they adjust to real life. We were told to make bethel our life, that the best place to be during Armageddon would be in Bethel.

We had an identity... We were BETHELITES, creme de la creme. We had everything done for us - washing, cleaning, meals, no bills (besides the phone bill), everything at our disposal. Then reality hit is like a freight train. You wake up, no meals, you need to wash, you need to drive out the dry cleaners, you need to travel to buy your food, you need to cook your own food. I have to pay for health care, dental insurance, car insurance, rent, etc.

And now the congregation makes you the appointed one? You will be definitely asked to give talks around the circuit.

I know many that have gone through a crisis as they adjust to the real life like I did. What led me to JWD? I was so depressed that I did not care about anything anymore, I contemplated suicide, so I did the unthinkable. I searched the net for jw's. JWD saved my life.

-wac

• TheListener
    TheListener

You make a good point LadyLee about the congregations. I have heard several discuss the downsizing and it hasn't fazed them at all. I don't think the congregations will be affected by the actual downsizing but by the actions of the local bodies of elders when the ex-bethelites come to town and the actions of the ex-bethelites themselves. There are some nice bethelites and some real stinkers. But almost all bethelites view themselves as more spiritual than an average witness.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I suspect the bethel downsizing may be welcome news to some bethelites. It's a way to get out of bethel without having other jws look down on them, as often happens when someone stops pioneering™.

W

• jgnat
    jgnat

We might need a middle ground, kind of a "JWD-lite" to give these ex-Bethelites a safe, non-threatening place to express independent thought.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence
    We might need a middle ground, kind of a "JWD-lite" to give these ex-Bethelites a safe, non-threatening place to express independent thought.

good idea jgnat... in my case, I 1st rolled in to the apologtetics sites, as I surfed I was shocked to see current elders and former bethelites on this site ... , then this shock turned into a relief.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I can't believe those who are being pushed out are not given "assignment" to carry out where ever they go or are sent to. For the most part I think they will be given a mission, and that mission is to do clean up in the congregations they go to.

LL - I think that they will be 'assigned'. What is the most pressing problem that confounds the organization today?

Answer - Us. Apostates. And the average elder in the average congregation has no idea how to handle the potential legal, and legalistic aspects of this problem. I believe the 'strong' ones - the real company men - will be sent out to put a muzzle on the apostates that the elders in the congregations have failed to supress.

Like me. They know I am here. They hate me. The slander me. But so far they have not found a way to 'kill me'. I suspect one of these bethel boys will be around to try someday soon. Good luck to those Goliaths! I have a sling and a big stone.

Jeff

• Confession
    Confession

WAC, a lot of the stuff you're saying resonates with me. I too started by trying to find apologists and reformers online. It only took a few months before I moved over to JWD.

The other thing: no matter how much "information" I had about the Watchtower Society--no matter how many "flashpoints" that made me stop and wonder...it wasn't until some life-changing and dramatic things happened to me that I was really able to give myself permission to consider the possibility that the Society wasn't what I had believed it was.

While the cognitive dissonance phenomenon will surely kick in for some, for many jilted Bethelites (and those close to them,) this might just be the life-changing event needed to give them pause.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Interesting theory Jeff. I can definitely see something like that happening

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

WAC & Confession

Bravo to both of you. People don't have to remain deluded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit