Do the JWs believe that the great tribulation is happening now?

by whyizit 12 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

I agree with you that the JWs have many ideas that are not supported by the Bible and some are even against it, as for the great crowd they are indeed in heaven where the angels also are and can't possibly be located on earth.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Anytime there is a significant event you will find some JWs that will say that "this is the beginning of the GT." However, I have never heard anything more than a statement of wishful thinking.

• blondie
    blondie

"Any significant event"

The WTS has obviously not reviewed the steps of the great tribulation recently with the flock..........

(just before) Cry of peace and security

1. Destruction of Babylon the Great (worldwide empire of false religion) by political/warlike elements in the UN (scarlet-colored wild beast)

2. Attempt to destroy the anointed (and the great crowd) by Gog of Magog (Satan) and the governments on earth (wild beast)

3. God steps in to stop Gog which starts Armageddon where he, Jesus, the angels, and the anointed already in heaven destroy eternally his human followers (everyone who is not a JW, including babies) and abysses Satan and the demons for a 1,000 years.

So if JWs are saying "any significant event" signals the beginning of the great tribulation, I can see why the WTS might be reviewing the book of Revelation and WTS interpretations.

g75 2/8 p. 9 How the Difference Affects Our Future ***

Their short-lived cry of "Peace and security!" will be suddenly interrupted by a "great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again." (1 Thess. 5:2, 3; Matt. 24:21)

w97 4/1 pp. 14-16 Deliverance Into a Righteous New World ***

The

"Great Tribulation"

In 1914 this world entered its "last days." (2 Timothy 3:1-5, 13) We are now 83 years into that period and are nearing its end when, as Jesus foretold, the following will take place: "There will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again." (Matthew 24:21) Yes, worse than even World War II, when some 50 million lives were taken. What a world-shaking time is fast approaching!

The "great tribulation" will come with astounding suddenness, "in one hour." (Revelation 18:10) Its outbreak will be marked by God’s execution of judgment on all false religion, which God’s Word calls "Babylon the Great." (Revelation 17:1-6, 15) Ancient Babylon’s dominant feature was false religion. Modern Babylon is like her ancient counterpart and represents the world empire of false religion. She has played the harlot by compromising with the political elements. She has supported their wars and has blessed armies on opposing sides, resulting in people of the same religion slaughtering one another. (Matthew 26:51, 52; 1 John 4:20, 21) She has winked at the corrupt practices of her adherents and has persecuted true Christians.—Revelation 18:5, 24.

The "great tribulation" begins when the political elements suddenly turn on "Babylon the Great." They "will hate the harlot and will make her devastated and naked, and will eat up her fleshy parts and will completely burn her with fire." (Revelation 17:16) Thereafter, her former supporters "will weep and beat themselves in grief over her." (Revelation 18:9-19) But Jehovah’s servants have long expected this, and they will exclaim: "Praise Jah, . . . for he has executed judgment upon the great harlot who corrupted the earth with her fornication, and he has avenged the blood of his slaves at her hand."—Revelation 19:1, 2.

God’s

Servants Attacked

Having destroyed false religion, the political elements turn on Jehovah’s servants. Satan, "Gog of the land of Magog" in prophecy, says: "I shall come in upon those having no disturbance, dwelling in security." Thinking that they are easy prey, he attacks them with "a numerous military force . . . , like clouds to cover the land." (Ezekiel 38:2, 10-16) Jehovah’s people know that this attack will fail because they trust in Jehovah.

When Pharaoh and his armies felt that they had God’s servants trapped at the Red Sea, Jehovah miraculously delivered his people and destroyed Egypt’s armies. (Exodus 14:26-28) During the "great tribulation," when the nations feel that they have Jehovah’s people trapped, he again miraculously comes to the rescue: "In that day . . . my rage will come up into my nose. And in my ardor, in the fire of my fury, I shall have to speak." (Ezekiel 38:18, 19) The climax of the "great tribulation" will then be imminent!

At some point after the "great tribulation" begins, but before Jehovah executes his judgment upon the rest of this world, supernatural events will occur. Note the effect they will have. "Then the sign of the Son of man [Christ] will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in lamentation, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." (Matthew 24:29, 30) "There will be signs in sun and moon and stars, . . . while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited earth."—Luke 21:25, 26.

"Your

Deliverance Is Getting Near"

At that particular time, the prophecy of Luke 21:28 applies. Jesus said: "As these things start to occur, raise yourselves erect and lift your heads up, because your deliverance is getting near." God’s enemies will be trembling with fear because they will know that the supernatural events taking place come from Jehovah. But Jehovah’s servants will rejoice because they will know that their deliverance is getting near.

Jehovah then delivers the death blow to Satan’s system: "I will bring myself into judgment with [Gog], with pestilence and with blood; and a flooding downpour and hailstones, fire and sulphur I shall rain down upon him and upon his bands . . . And they will have to know that I am Jehovah." (Ezekiel 38:22, 23) All vestiges of Satan’s system are destroyed. The entire human society of God-ignoring people is annihilated. That is the Armageddon climax of the "great tribulation."—Jeremiah 25:31-33; 2 Thessalonians 1:6-8; Revelation 16:14, 16; 19:11-21.

Delivered through the "great tribulation" will be the millions of worshipers of Jehovah earth wide. These make up the "great crowd" who have come "out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues." Why are they delivered in such an awe-inspiring way? Because they render Jehovah "sacred service day and night." So they survive this world’s end and are ushered into a righteous new world. (Revelation 7:9-15) Thus, they witness the fulfillment of Jehovah’s promise: "Hope in Jehovah and keep his way, and he will exalt you to take possession of the earth. When the wicked ones are cut off, you will see it."—Psalm 37:34.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit