Overheard at the June 4 2006 Watchtower Study

by under_believer 20 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

So, even back when I was a True Believer I noticed this...
    This Watchtower study today, I just got back from, was all about how great the elders are. What always wigs me out about these things (because they trot this stuff out in a WT study every year or two) is how the ELDER conducting the study is up there talking about and praising the elders in the third person, saying how great they are, when HE IS AN ELDER. It's this weird disconnect where he's talking about how he deserves double honor, but not mentioning himself by name.
    Also there was this one sister (divorced, depressional, menopausal, about 52) who kept raising her hand and making comments about how patient the elders where and how they had to put up with so much from the publishers, and how some publishers are "problem children" and need so much more attention and work, and how much "we" appreciate it. Not sure what her boggle is, I guess she is the type that calls up elders at 10:30PM crying and they need to round up another elder and go out to her house and hear about how lonely she is. I literally have never heard her comment so much before this meeting. She musta got called on 7 times.
    The really weirdest thing for me about these elder praise articles is the "double honor" part. I know for a fact that this makes some elders really uncomfortable, because some are elders because they honestly want to serve. My father personally told me once that he doesn't feel like he deserves double honor--he's just doing his job. And you could tell from a couple of elders' comments that they were really trying to downplay that whole thing--they don't like being called "gifts in men" and they don't want "double honor."
    Good Elders (and it seems like there are always a couple of really honest, goodhearted, humble ones in every congregation) dislike these parts, a lot. Of course those are probably the kinds that will end up eventually drifting away, and the Company Men who really feel like they deserve "double honor" will shake their heads and wonder why such great brothers resigned and fell away.

• Highlander
    Highlander

The good elders are the ones that end up here. The bad ones stay on in the congregation to love(beat) the flock.

• Synergy
    Synergy

Where does the bible say any man gets double honor? We can't honor mothers on mothers day, fathers on fathers day, or anyone on their birthday because it's putting one person above another. JW's can't stand for the bride at the wedding because it gives her too much honor but the elders get double honor. Isn't that people worship too?

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

I don't even think we should have elders in the position they are in:

They are:

1. Judges

2. teachers

3. disiplinarians

4. scary

5. fathers, even though they won't admit to the title

• lawrence
    lawrence

Maybe the sister who commented 7 times was put on Effexor Friday and she did a double dose with the Prozac and gin fizzes. The song break between meetings is a good time to do a few gulps of Gordon's, a swig of Listerine (swallowed) and a handful of Mentos. Don't get caught chewing.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Oddly enough, these statements regarding the elders have parallels with adularory comments found in WT literature about the GB. Ever notice how many times statements such as:"We need to be loyal, appreciative, subject to, supine, servile, etc etc to the GB"? Who is writing these articles? The GB! By making a third party reference to these the impression is created that this is a revelation that has come from others outside this group, and hence is all the more imperative to the supremacy of the GB

I would have had a greater sense of respect for the WTS if they clearly, and plainly stated that the R&F should be "Loyal, subject, servile etc,etc, to us" Such honesty would be too revelatory to the poor sods who are the followers, and avid underliners of this literature.

Cheers

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Speaking with some "great" elders in bethel, they use to say, we are all dust good for nothing slaves. I liked those brothers. Like you said, all the great elders eventually flock over here (at least the ones with internet). We can't support such wickedness in the org.

-wac xBetheliteXlder

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

synergy,

the scripture they use is 1ti 5:17---"let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine."(king j version)...."let the older men who preside in a fine way be reckoned worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching."(nwt)

here is how the elders read it: "let the elders that rule be counted worthy of double honor, especially those speaking."

j2s

• IW
    IW

There are still many "good" elders in the Org., men who love God and brother, just as there are many "good" brothers and sisters in the congregations. I think it's important to remember that.

IW

• uninformed
    uninformed

There are still many "good" elders in the Org., men who love God and brother, just as there are many "good" brothers and sisters in the congregations. I think it's important to remember that.

IW

IW--

I'm sure you mean well, and you could be somewhat correct, but I don't think that the word "many" would necessarily be the correct descriptive term.

4 weeks ago, I was disfellowshipped without a written or scriptural charge, because of my stand against the org regarding the NGO Partnership thing.

the whole body of elders was aware of the situation. Didn't matter.

I have dozens of friends that were elders, and not ONE has contacted me ONE time to either find out what happened or to offer condolences.

A couple of them that I actually brought the truth to included.

IW, what has happened is that the Golden Calf has been put in place. The elders have been taught to worship the Society.

Therefore, I condemn them as a group. However, I do give you that there are probably a comparative FEW that are still probably trying to do the right thing.

Just don't happen to know any of them.

Brant Jones

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit