JW spotted at 1:00...

by Jim_TX 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

This afternoon, I took my girlfriend and her boy who is visiting her to Sonic in a small town near here called Castroville.
    Right next door to the Sonic is a Pizza Hut. We sat outside Sonic at the tables, in the 92-ish weather, with a gentle breeze making the stay nice.
    We had ordered our burgers (mine and my girlfriends' a fish burger), and I looked over into the parking lot of Pizza Hut in time to see a group of well-dressed folks come outside.
    Well, today _is_ Sunday... so I mentally noted their appearances... I believe that there were 3 ladies... dresses and heels... one young man... suit slacks and coat - white shirt... no tie. A young boy... also wearing nice slacks and shirt. Hmmm... not enough data - yet.
    They all lingered in the parking lot... chatting... two of the gals hugging each other in what appeared to be a 'good-bye' hug... still not enough data...
    More chit-chat, and they finally started moving towards the three vehicles that they apparently arrived in. I looked away to receive our burgers, and when I looked back - they were gone.
    They all left in one vehicle, together. Aha!
    I told my girlfriend - JWs.
    I said... they went out in 'field service' together.
    JWs are soooooo easy to spot... even after over 20 years of not being one.
    Now - don't mis-understand. I don't just look at someone dressed nicely on a Sunday afternoon and yell 'JW'. I analyze the situation. It _was_ after 1pm... that means that thier meeting time was most likely 10am to 12 noon. They had gotten together afterwards and gone to eat at Pizza Hut.
    Yes, I know other religions also meet on Sundays... but these folks... their actions... it was all too familiar.
    I have seen other folks - also while at this Sonic... and they were dressed nicely... however, after analyzing their appearances... one of the group had a corsage (sp?). I realized that these folks had either been to - or were going to - a wedding. Also, if I remember correctly, one of the ladies was wearing a pants suit. Dead give away - NOT a JW.
    It's a fun game, really... 'Spot the JW' in the crowd. Simple to do. Just look for the overly dressed individuals in the crowd.
    Regards,

Jim TX

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Hi Jim,

I call this jw profiling and have found myself doing the same thing.

A couple of months ago, my hubby and I were at a burger king with our kids (letting them play in the play area) when a young couple came into the place. This was around 12:30 - 1:00 pm. Immediately I noticed that they were dressed business casual, and the young woman carried a larger satchel, perfect for bible and whatnot. Watched them for awhile and when they left just shy of 15 minutes and were out the door pretty quickly, I had them pegged as a young jw couple who were out in service without anyone else because of the yucky weather. I guess I looked at the whole pic.

Clothing, shoes, satchel, timing, length of stay....

Never been to a sonic, don't know if they have them here.

Think it's normal to do so. Maybe it's a jw radar that sticks with us.

BSoM

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I went back to Hawaii last year for a memorial service, and Sunday afternoon at lunch time I went to Zippy's (because, you see, you just have to go to Zippy's if you can), and when I went to our table, wouldn't you know there were a group of JWs sitting a few tables away. I knew for a fact because I recognized one of the men ... I had seen him at district conventions for many years and there he was, dressed in a suit on a hot Sunday afternoon having lunch at Zippy's. I hadn't seen him in 15 years, yet I reocgnized him instantly.

One rather weird experience I had was 10 years ago. I boarded a bus at the shopping center and walked past the people in the first to sit in the back of the bus, where I usually sit. Then when I got off the bus, an elderly woman in the first of the bus got up and rushed up to me with a note. I took the note and as the bus was pulling away, I opened it up and read it, and it basically excoriated me for snobbing her, for ignoring "one of my fellow sisters and Jehovah's servants", blah blah blah. I had already been totally "out" for 3 or 4 years, but honestly I didn't recognize this woman at all, had no idea who she was, but apparently she thought I was shunning her on purpose. Kinda funny now that I think about it, since she should have been shunning me, lol.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Jim that is the slowest sonic I've ever been to in my life!!!

I can spot a dub from a mile away too. Those catrovillian or hondo dubs would have shunned me on site

• Highlander
    Highlander

Yeah, my JW radar has been beeping every saturday for about a month now. Every morning that I'm out running errands I see a group of them.

I must say though, I've only seen spanish dubs out preaching,, it's been almost a year since I've seen any english dubs.

Second, why is it that whenever I see the spanish dubs,, they are always traveling in packs of at least a half/dozen while walking down the sidewalk?

Maybe it's for moral support.

• Purza
    Purza
    It's a fun game, really... 'Spot the JW' in the crowd. Simple to do. Just look for the overly dressed individuals in the crowd.

It is quite fun. My husband is always surprised (he should have a clue by now) that I am right 99% of the time. I generally see them at Starbucks either around 9:00 - 9:30 a.m. on a Saturday or Sunday. Or around 11:30 a.m. at the same location. Sometimes they have their books out, or a book bag; one time I asked a kid if he was a JW and he gave me a tract (yay!).

There are other times when my husband thinks they are JWs and I am adamantly sure they are not -- he asks why? Cause I tell the guy has a goatee and he said "maybe they are allowing that now". Yeah, sure, when hell freezes over.

Purza

• Panda
    Panda

Jim TX, LOL I guess we all play spot the JW. It's so so crazy that we do this by a criteria which you'd think would've changed over the years. But nope there they are for us to spot. And if I rememeber correctly they want to be separate from everyone else.

Recently, on a TV news spot for builders in SanAntonio Mr.Panda and I saw this young man who we knew as a cute chubby little boy on assembly parts with his Mom. His Dad got most of his kids into the trades, But this guy had really taken off and prospered. I said well look at him ... and MrPanda exJW/elder said Well he's not a dub anymore UNLESS THEY CHANGED THE RULES FOR HAIR LENGTH ... Well I hadn't thought of that and I hope that cute little boy has grown into a free young man. So there are also clues as to whether someone is still IN the borg.

• juni
    juni

My husband and I have had the same experiences. Once at a restaurant we were already seated. In came a group of pioneer sisters and sat down at the table behind us. When they noticed us they actually changed tables. We had been in their cong. for a few years.

I figured they didn't want us to hear their mean mouthing of others, ya know what I mean???

Juni

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I also have a Jaydar, it's like a sixth sense, but I bet I could write out some rules for identifying one.

• Panda
    Panda

Yeah Classy, Rule number one: How close to 9AM are the suspects on a coffee break?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit